Are there ANY Slate cymbal samples that are good?

pattonfreak1

Bored Member
May 24, 2009
Saint Louis, Mo.
So I purchased SSD-EX no brainer and the cymbals are atrocious. So my remedy was to use the OH's from DFH and the kick, snare, toms of SSD. Its a routing nightmare and uses almost a third of my cpu. So my question is, are there any expansion packs for SSD with cymbals that sound as good as/better than DFH? I'm aware of EZD Metalheads but I'm asking for SSD as it uses less cpu on my system. My main complaint is the china's and hats included in SSD. They're just so weak sounding no matter what I try.
Thanks in advance fella's.

unfortunately this is true.

which is why I fight to make sure my overheads sound good.

BUT I gotta say. the Sturgis samples are gorgeous and I'm saving up to get Kontakt 4 so that I can make use of such.

in addition I've head that Metal Foundry has some pretty good cymbals.

the Sturgis samples are gorgeous and I'm saving up to get Kontakt 4 so that I can make use of such.

Hint; Get Komplete instead. It's only 100 more expensive and it gives you:

KONTAKT4.1, ABSYNTH 5, GUITAR RIG 4 PRO, REAKTOR 5.5, BATTERY 3, FM8, MASSIVE, The Finger, Reaktor Prism, Scarbee MM Bass, Scarbee MK1, Scarbee Clavinet, Scarbee A-200, Berlin Concert Grand, New York Concert Grand, Upright Piano, Vienna Concert Grand, Abbey Road 60s Drums, Vintage Organs, Reflektor, Rammfire Amp Simulation, Traktor´s Twelve and Akoustik Refractions, more than 10.000 Presets, approx. 100 GB Samples

Thanks for the link to the cymbal pack. The Slate cymbals are not half as good as the bassdrum & snare samples. Also the toms should be replaced.

Thanks for the link to the cymbal pack. The Slate cymbals are not half as good as the bassdrum & snare samples. Also the toms should be replaced.

+1000
I only got slate right now, is it worth to buy toontrack sd2 for tom & oh ?

I have both SD2.0 and Slate EX. But, I am running into the same issues as PattonFreak1 - while I love the sound of ToonTrack's OH's paired with kit pieces from SSD, that combo violently rapes my CPU. If I could get away with JUST using SSD that would be an ennormous gain for me.

The cymbals here seem very dry which creates a huge gap in quality with the kit pieces which are pre-processed. Are the cymbals just poorly recorded, or maybe just poor quality cymbals were used int he making of? I seriously don't know. I've tried everything from routing the cymbals to their own room channel to simulate an actual OH track, to retarded amounts of EQ, to you name it. I just can not get them to work for me. There has to be a trick to them....

The cymbals in 'Superior' don't sound realistic, IMO. The way they change with velocity is pretty weird. I think the ones in Addictive Drums sounded a lot more natural and logical. As for toms - there's always the ones from Chimaira, Andy kindly provided.

As for the OP - my advice is to buy a freaking CPU! Seriously, you need it for everything, you save a LOT of time on exporting and so on. I got my i5 750 for relatively cheap and overclocked it slightly to 3.6ghz...it's awesome.

I only ever use the hats at the second-most open setting, never the most open (sounds terrible imo), and I've got some decent results hardpanning the room cymbal samples. So if your crash is panned 40%R, the room sample for that crash will be panned 100%R. Because you have to manually pan the cymbals, this makes it sound a little more realistic, gives it some depth.

As for the OP - my advice is to buy a freaking CPU! Seriously, you need it for everything, you save a LOT of time on exporting and so on. I got my i5 750 for relatively cheap and overclocked it slightly to 3.6ghz...it's awesome.
*sigh* I wish I could :( Well X-mas is coming up and I am a dam christian so maybe Jesus will bring me one before he sticks his big boot up everyone else's ass. :devil:
I only ever use the hats at the second-most open setting, never the most open (sounds terrible imo), and I've got some decent results hardpanning the room cymbal samples. So if your crash is panned 40%R, the room sample for that crash will be panned 100%R. Because you have to manually pan the cymbals, this makes it sound a little more realistic, gives it some depth.
Will definitely give this a shot. Thanks Morgan.

It was more of a response to the slate toms should be replaced statement.
So I thought I would post which SSD toms other peeps use

Ahhh - gotcha man. Yeah. I like the toms alright - but I always find that I need to pitch them down a bit and gate the hell out of them.

*sigh* I wish I could :( Well X-mas is coming up and I am a dam christian so maybe Jesus will bring me one before he sticks his big boot up everyone else's ass. :devil:

Will definitely give this a shot. Thanks Morgan.

Steve - I have been messing around with the panning. Definitely better. I can send you what I have tomorrow (out to NJ today).