Arghoslent Thread

Hey Chris, longtime-no-see.

Galloping through the Battle Ruins, Incorrigable Bigotry, and Hornets of the Pogrom are all amazing albums.

They have racist lyrics but it's not over the top or offensive enough to stop most people with fucking brains from listening to it. They are accurate enough from the historical perspective of a white man from around the early American times that I basically imagine that is their general artistic intent; to make melodic death metal with heavy metal leanings that attempts to be racist in such a way that it isn't completely stupid and obviously ignorant sounding (though it may be ignorant in other ways, but they are not a band to go "lol my pals suck kill them all").

I saw a load of shit on their website and in interviews that was basically exactly "lol my pals suck kill them all." It was fucking embarrassing, they were just trying as hard as they could to sound edgy and racist, and this seems to come across in every interview I've read.

I think they are pretty overrated as a result of all this attention they get as well - a lot of people hear them and go OMG THE MUSIC SUCKS THEY ARE RACIST and then other people feel the need to balance such retardedness out by claiming the music to be the work of God. They are a band that attract extremely polarised reviews that are excessive in both directions, in my opinion.

Musically, I think they are pretty damn solid but nothing to write home about. Incorrigible Bigotry is a really cool album with some great NWOBHM-influenced melodic death-esque songs. The Purging Fires of War is a downright brilliant track. I got hold of Hornets of the Pogrom but didn't find it nearly as good as IB, maybe I should give it another listen.

They are definitely a distinct flavor of DM (lyrics aside), and one I quite enjoy (lyrics aside). The three albums I listed plus that EP Biten listed are awesome DM with a melodic bent.

The three albums I listed plus that EP Biten listed are awesome DM with a melodic bent.

In my humble opinion they play Melodic Death Metal as it should sound. Great melodies without losing punch and keeping a decent level of aggression. Don't agree with the lyrics' contents, though. Well, fuck it. They just sound great :kickass:

I love Arghoslent, musically, but do not support their ideology. Racism, while not exactly stupid, is an outdated and ignorant way of thinking. It is nothing more than using quack science to justify a humans xenophobic instincts. Not all instincts have a place in civilised society. I've never actually purchased their music, nor will I ever, for the same reason I won't buy anything by Burzum or Noktunal Mortum. I will listen to those bands, though.

I love Arghoslent, musically, but do not support their ideology. Racism, while not exactly stupid, is an outdated and ignorant way of thinking. It is nothing more than using quack science to justify a humans xenophobic instincts. Not all instincts have a place in civilised society. I've never actually purchased their music, nor will I ever, for the same reason I won't buy anything by Burzum or Noktunal Mortum. I will listen to those bands, though.

You sure do go to great lengths to assure everyone you aren't racist :err:

:D

Arghoslent have been one of my favourite death metal bands musically ever since Life Sucks recced Incorrigible Bigotry to me many many years back. I find their music a little too "major" sounding which might put some people off and takes a little getting used to but that's what makes it good.

I don't exactly agree with their ideals though. Racism is still racism.

Hey Chris, longtime-no-see.

Hey man. I check here now and then. Just haven't been posting.

I guess it is a little bit tough, especially these days, to know what each person really means when they say racism or racist. From believing that people from another race are inferior and not worthy of human rights and respect, to going to greater lengths to acknowledge someone of a different race in an attempt to not be racist.

I love how everyone who posts in this thread feels the need to put a disclaimer on their posts.

Their lyrics could always be worse:

Last edited by a moderator:
Am listening to Incorrigible Bigotry atm,did'nt even know there was an Arghoslent thread on here.Can't care for the racist lyrics,adds a bit of charm to their music imo not that I support those particular ideologies.Nothing is taboo in metal.Anyone know if these guys have another album in the worx?

Hey man. I check here now and then. Just haven't been posting.

I guess it is a little bit tough, especially these days, to know what each person really means when they say racism or racist. From believing that people from another race are inferior and not worthy of human rights and respect, to going to greater lengths to acknowledge someone of a different race in an attempt to not be racist.

As far as I can tell these days, you're a racist if you dislike anyone who happens to be different from you. For example:
Person 1: "Fuck Bob, I hate that guy!"
Person 2: "Whoa, what a racist thing to say!"
Person 1: "WTF, why? We're both white!"
Person 2: "No, you're white, he's Polish."
Person 1: "?"
Person 2: "Racist."

Also, anything that reinforces a stereotype is racist. In another example, the statement "LeBron James is good at basketball" is a racist statement because LeBron is black and black people are supposed to be good basketball players.

This thread has now converted me: I'm an Arghoslent fan.

I've never listened to them because I always thought they were more old school death metal. But holy shit, the riffs are so melodic and soaring. Really cool stuff!