Arjen Lucassen's next project!

I agree with Sharif. Anything Arjen touches is worth buying, in my opinion.

Totally agree too. Even in Stream Of Passion is his weakest project IMO still better than most stuff out there, and as for Ayreon what can I say? Nothing but pure excitement waiting for the next stop of the saga:Smokin: , another winner for sure for 2007.

HELLS YEAH! Great to hear Arjen's back to working on the next Ayreon! I can't wait to hear who he is working with!! I was very pleased to see one of my favorite vocalists on the Human Equation, Eric Clayton from Saviour Machine. I sure hope he makes an appearance again, whether this disc or the in the future.

Whoever it is, I'm sure you'll be disappointed. :cry:

:lol: :p

Maybe these days, sure, but "Mandylion"/"Nighttime Birds"-era The Gathering >>>> every hard rock/metal band with a lead female vocalist.
I disagree.. I like new The Gathering much better! :)
I mean, I love Mandylion and Nighttime birds as well, but Souvenirs and How to Measure a planet are their best 2 albums.. :)
And Home and If_Then_Else are also great...

However, if he isn't working with Stream of Passion, what's the chance Glenn will get Arjen over here for ProgPower? Seems like we may have to wait longer.

I think it eventually comes down to money. Arjen + band + guest vocalists (Mikael A.? Devin T.? Russell A.?) + practice-space rental = $$$$$$

Solution: ten OTHER people (besides me) need to pony up some sponsorship dough. :lol:
(Ayreon has been on my "bands I'd pay out the ass to see, Glenn" list for YEARS. :heh: )

I disagree.. I like new The Gathering much better! :)
I mean, I love Mandylion and Nighttime birds as well, but Souvenirs and How to Measure a planet are their best 2 albums.. :)
And Home and If_Then_Else are also great...

I'm coming off of an "ehhh..." reaction to "Home." Van Giersbergen is still the best female vocalist in the business, but the songs just didn't grab me. "How to Measure a Planet" is one of those few albums that I think would have been better had it been trimmed back. It's just too freaking long and impenetrable for me, though I do rather like "Liberty Bell."

On the other hand, "Souvenirs" is a vastly VASTLY underrated album, "You Learn About It" contains some of the loveliest vocals I have ever heard. "If_Then_Else" was an album that had to gorw on me but I think it is also one of their better releases.

I've heard that The Gathering is (or at least was) big in Europe. They never got their just due in America, especially since that style they pioneered (even if they moved away from it) has been aped ever since.

But hey, album arguments aside, still glad to see someone on The Gathering's side. Sure there have been good female-fronted bands in their wake, but I still use the two albums I specified earlier as THE watermark of that whole style of "atmosphere metal with a female vocalist."* Van Giersbergan might not do some high-falutin' opera stuff or whatever (not to distract from the female vocalists who do that Sarah Brightman-metal thing well), but...I dunno. To me, it's just "pure singing." No vocal cartwheels. Just beautiful melodies and an excellent voice.

...and for the "kvlt" fans out there, just to go ahead and say it - their pre-Van Giersbergen material didn't appeal to me as much.

* along with Lacuna Coil's "Unleashed Memories"

I'm coming off of an "ehhh..." reaction to "Home." Van Giersbergen is still the best female vocalist in the business, but the songs just didn't grab me. "How to Measure a Planet" is one of those few albums that I think would have been better had it been trimmed back. It's just too freaking long and impenetrable for me, though I do rather like "Liberty Bell."

On the other hand, "Souvenirs" is a vastly VASTLY underrated album, "You Learn About It" contains some of the loveliest vocals I have ever heard. "If_Then_Else" was an album that had to gorw on me but I think it is also one of their better releases.

I've heard that The Gathering is (or at least was) big in Europe. They never got their just due in America, especially since that style they pioneered (even if they moved away from it) has been aped ever since.

But hey, album arguments aside, still glad to see someone on The Gathering's side. Sure there have been good female-fronted bands in their wake, but I still use the two albums I specified earlier as THE watermark of that whole style of "atmosphere metal with a female vocalist."* Van Giersbergan might not do some high-falutin' opera stuff or whatever (not to distract from the female vocalists who do that Sarah Brightman-metal thing well), but...I dunno. To me, it's just "pure singing." No vocal cartwheels. Just beautiful melodies and an excellent voice.

...and for the "kvlt" fans out there, just to go ahead and say it - their pre-Van Giersbergen material didn't appeal to me as much.

* along with Lacuna Coil's "Unleashed Memories"

Yeah, I fully agree with you on Anneke! :) She has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard..I also agree that they should be bigger among the fans of the Female-Fronted bands.. :( I think the change in their sound really set them back in terms of popularity.. If they were still playing metal to this day I bet they would be quite a bit bigger..
And I also hate the pre-Anneke stuff.. So we agre on almost everything when it comes to The Gathering! :)

But When it comes to "how to measure a Planet?"...:p Man, I love the album! the whole album! :) Maybe the title track is a bit too long.. I don't usually listen to it! But it doesn;t change the way I view the rest of the album!
I mean, 1 bad song in a double disc... I can take that! :)
Some of their best songs are in this album.. Travel is probably my favorite The Gathering song.. :)

And I like Home! :) It's different.. more rocky-alternative.. But I like it! there are some nice songs, you know? Just simple songs, with nice melodies, great lyrics...

Bumping up an old thread.

They released a sample of the first recorded vocalist. Haven't released the name yet.

http://ayreon.com/ayreon/ay_news.html
http://ayreon.com/ayreon/ayreonseven/mystery_singer1.mp3

Now that the great Nightwish mystery is over, we can start on a new one!

HA! Holy s$#%, it sounds like Sammy Hagar! Whether it is or not, it's hard to tell, but Arjen has a propensity to choose some of my favorite musicians I'd least expect. Like Eric Clayton :loco:

Thanks for posting!!!

HA! Holy s$#%, it sounds like Sammy Hagar! Whether it is or not, it's hard to tell, but Arjen has a propensity to choose some of my favorite musicians I'd least expect. Like Eric Clayton :loco:

Thanks for posting!!!

As I said in my post, it's Magali Luyten (BE) from the bands Virus IV and Beautiful Sin. SHe's the first singer announced for the new album.

Also, the new album WON'T be out this year.

More info on it:

shaaykaynau said:
This thread should give everyone an overview of the things that have already been revealed about the new Ayreon album (nick-named Nr. 7)

Please add whatever info you've discovered or think you have discovered and the source, and I'll add them (like a treasure hunt, aye):

- It will be a double album with a total length of about 100 minutes (newsletter/blog)

- There will be many guest vocalists (msgboard).

- There will be guest keyboardist (and perhaps a guitarist) (msgboard)

- The demo recording was finished a short while ago (newsletter/blog).

- Arjen came
up with, and experimented with, ideas in the studio this time around (interview).

- It contains a sci-fi theme (interview).

- There may be grunts (but if there are, there aren't many) (msgboard)

- The title is not certain yet (but it will not be Number Seven, or variations thereof) (msgboard/blog).

- There will be many synths, and Arjen's been using a Micro-korg for new sounds. (interview)

- The release date is not yet known (newsletter).

- Arjen has been using his Ibanez 7 string guitar a lot (interview).

- There are pretty heavy passages, and soft mysterious passages (interview).

- The story will be quite cryptic this time around (interview).

- The first vocals have been recorded. It is Magali Luyten (BE) from the bands Virus IV and Beautiful Sin:

Arjen @ Yahoo Groups said:
She sent me a demo of her band (Over Us Eden) about 4 years ago, Anton. When I finally had the time to listen to some of the CDs that were sent to me (three years later - shame on me) her voice stood out. I emailed her and in the meantime she had sung on Uli Kursch's (Helloween, Masterplan) Beautiful Sin album. I listened to it and I was convinced. She basically came over to my studio just to try out, but the result is so ama...great that I will keep it.

This is basically the only lyric I've written so far. Next week I will decide on the singers and then I will start dividing the parts and writing lyrics. So I'm afraid the next 'vocalist guessing game' will take a while, sorry...

- Drums were recorded 3rd June - 5th June in Rooftop Studios in Holten the Netherlands. (website)

- The lyrics for this track are (msg board):
Arjen said:
Carry out your dangerous task, sail uncharted spheres
Live out our dreams, ride the comet!
Journey on the Migrator trail, cross the new frontiers
Pass on our genes, ride the comet!

-Twelve vocalists have been confirmed. As well as two keyboardists. (msg board/myspace)

-*NEW* The album contains vocalists who have never been on an Ayreon album before and at least one veteran (msg board).

-*NEW* Peter Steele (Type O Negative) will not be featured on this album (msg board).