Art Thread

I'm not the authority on oil painting, but I can say that you really need to work on your anatomy some more, unless a distorted effect was what you were getting at, of course. Check some books to see the ideal dimensions of the face and its features, it'll help a great deal, even if you're going for a distorted appearance - you need to know the rules before you can learn how to break them.

Emily we should trade, like you teach me how to do Illustrator and I give you oil advice. That's pretty stellar for a first ever oil painting. I will have to post some photos of my recent stuff. But at least for me I just try to build up layers, which I am sure you did.

I'd say just get a little more daring with your contrast, put in some more darks in the shadows. With oils I find what makes for nice flesh shadows are just using red and blue... like put the red on first blend it a little, then add blue and you get a nice purple, it depends on what look you're going for.

The features look a little unbalanced, and everything isn't about photo realism, but even if you're not going for photo realism, balance and proportion still only enhance the looks of things.

What are the dimensions?

What are you using to thin your paint?

Emily we should trade, like you teach me how to do Illustrator and I give you oil advice. That's pretty stellar for a first ever oil painting. I will have to post some photos of my recent stuff. But at least for me I just try to build up layers, which I am sure you did.

I'd say just get a little more daring with your contrast, put in some more darks in the shadows. With oils I find what makes for nice flesh shadows are just using red and blue... like put the red on first blend it a little, then add blue and you get a nice purple, it depends on what look you're going for.

The features look a little unbalanced, and everything isn't about photo realism, but even if you're not going for photo realism, balance and proportion still only enhance the looks of things.

What are the dimensions?

What are you using to thin your paint?

Thanks. :)

I used some linseed oil just to see what happens.
Red and blue, I'll definitely try that. It makes sense.

It was 8x6 on cardboard.

This guy > you all

bob-ross-the-joy-of-painting-20060403115238486.jpg

That Bob Ross = Love.

When mad, only three voices calm me: Bob Ross, Alton Brown, and William Shatner narrating a Science Channel show.

Well, yeah, sure, the guy is incredible, but how long's he been at it, compared to us? Nothing against Bob Ross, but some wanker coming in saying a 50-year-old professional is better at us when he doesn't even contribute to this thread is a bit gay. But then, it's Altitudes, so how could we expect anything else than an inane attempt at arrogance.