Art Thread

Jen! How do you get the under-layer to stay put?

I miss my acrylics. :(

Well, I might be doing this incorrectly myself, but it has always worked for me. I always start I guess with a wash? Or an underpainting sort of thing, just blocks of the main colors, but thinned down EXTREMELY. So that it's almost like "water color" but with oil. It should dry PRETTY fast... considering.

Then you use less diluted paint on top, and it WILL start to blend in with that under layer, but you sort of want that in a way. And if you don't wait a few hours for it to dry. but I like when it blends in like that. You just have to keep building up, and up.

Or you could just put GOBS of paint on, and it'll take care of that.

Just make sure you're not thinning your paint down too much, or else it'll all just be liquidy and blendy and all the lovely layers you've made will dissolve haha. Good luck!

One thing I've finished, a character from a FanFiction I'm writing:

822Lara.jpg

And a work-in-progress, a character I'm very fond of:

821LysannaWIP2sm.jpg

Stormy, your work looks fucking awesome!
I'm enjoying the high contrast on the first one, mhmm!
Soft drawing utensils = <3

Jennifer, I'm also digging the shading done on the eye and hair!

Darkblade: Awesome use of perspective and shading, especially with the clock!

Well, I might be doing this incorrectly myself, but it has always worked for me. I always start I guess with a wash? Or an underpainting sort of thing, just blocks of the main colors, but thinned down EXTREMELY. So that it's almost like "water color" but with oil. It should dry PRETTY fast... considering.

Then you use less diluted paint on top, and it WILL start to blend in with that under layer, but you sort of want that in a way. And if you don't wait a few hours for it to dry. but I like when it blends in like that. You just have to keep building up, and up.

Or you could just put GOBS of paint on, and it'll take care of that.

Just make sure you're not thinning your paint down too much, or else it'll all just be liquidy and blendy and all the lovely layers you've made will dissolve haha. Good luck!

That's pretty much how I start a painting, too. Washes are awesome, mhmm.
After the initial sketch/wash, I typically work wet on wet, too. I'm impatient, but sometimes letting the wash layer dry is a good idea.

Btw, using a medium like Liquin or Galkyd (less toxic than liquin, but not my favorite consistency), allows you to make glazed layers of the oil without using too much solvent. You can add solvent to the paint/Galkyd mixture to give it a more runny consistency, too...but you have to be careful not to add too much. The use of these mediums also greatly speeds the drying process :)

One thing though..the mediums can add a shininess to the dried product, which means you might want to add a varnish to your painting later (to make everything evenly shiny).

Anywaaaay, painting sounds like a good idea now :)
:Spin:

Ok, I done now.

Well, yeah, sure, the guy is incredible, but how long's he been at it, compared to us? Nothing against Bob Ross, but blah blah
all i know is that if you and Bob Ross were dangling over a cliff, one holding onto each of my hands and i could only pull one of you up, well, it wouldnt be Bob Ross falling to a horrible death on the jagged rocks below.