Art Thread

I use Painter too, and I believe that while the lack of dodge or burn makes its learning curve steeper, it also makes you a better artist, because to be honest, dodge and burn are the tools most used by inept artists who can't do the real thing. Which is not to say that the occasional dodge or burn can't be useful in places - it just shouldn't be used as the Universal Solution for shading.

Very nice! Do you use the Artists' Oils? I tried using them but for some reason they don't suit me all that well - I'm more partial to the airbrush settings because they're very sensitive to pen pressure, which is my main method of shading.

Thanks Stormie :oops:. Yes, I also figured that if I'm going to at least try and beef up my traditional oil painting learning progress that using dodge and burn would also be counter productive. I did do allot of undo when I would make a stroke I didn't like, but I figured I would take the pallet knife and scrape a screw up off of a real canvas if it turned out really bad, or scrape the whole thing and start over. Don't forget to try the conte', pastels and charcoals. I love those too, especily when you change the canvas to a real toothy paper. :D

I used a combo of artist oils, oils, and the little dew drops are impasto. I don't know why they got 3 different categories. you can impasto with acrylic, but the corel impasto acts like oils to me. I did allot of brush customization. and changing the viscosity and other settings for that real feel. When I needed to glaze I didn't use the glaze selection, I chose the most appropriate brush and made the color transparent. This was better then the glaze selection because I felt like it was too feathery, and didn't act like a real glaze. And I used the blender brush to soften the farthest petals, grey colors toward the back and clean colors toward the front.

When I first saw this, I thought it was a real oil painting, so very well done! :) I really need to spend some more time in Corel. I wasn't too sure about the oils when I first tried them out. But you have changed my mind. :)

Thanks Jace, man it's got a curve to it but it's well worth it. I just played with it until I figured out how to do what I needed. when I hit the wall I used the help. I tried reading the help long ago from back to front but it made me fall asleep at my keyboard. If you can't get a stroke from a preset, don't forget to customize it to your liking.

T-shirt design for Battery. <3

Fangirl___Battery_2_by_Jace_Mereel.png

This is great Jace! Are you going to put it on a tee for your own use? I think that would be cool :D

Great drawing Stormie, I like the new style

And yes, painting is a pain in the ass. I'm loving what your doing to that hair! Show us more, I'd like to see your color work :)
Thanks. Well, it's progressing slowly, because I'm learning as I go (I've always been an autodidactic), but I might get it finished the next session( which might be today if I get over this tired feeling)

I agree. You're doing well with the painting. I know, I have a rough time with teeth/smiles but you did great.
May I offer a crit?
Absolutely, and always. :) And everybody has difficulty with teeth - they're incredibly hard to draw without making them look unflattering. Took me some effort too :)

Don't be afraid of the dark, especially in the crease of the eye and on the right side of the nose. :)
Got it. I need to be careful though, because I tried darkening some things up and it looked like she spent the day in a boat machinist's room smearing oil on her face :D

But it's duly noted, I'll see if I can do it again and get it right :)