Art Thread

Your latest is so sweet, Emily! I really love the happy new years tape, and how you rendered that. :)

YESH! I'd love to see a new loomis comic as well! YAY!

I haven't been able to come up with a good idea for a new comic in a long time. :( But thank God for tutorials on deviantArt that tell you how to make tape. :lol:

Thanks Shannnon. :)

Found out I hate coloring blond hair and clothes. :)

sexymanfinaltq3.png

Jace or Qui-Gon?
Heh.

Lookin' good there, Emily. A suggestion though, if I may... You always draw your eyebrows directly above the eye, and so all your characters look angry. This might be the intention, but just saying, usually eyebrows are some distance above the eye, not directly on top of it - unless, of course, your character needs to be looking angrily into the camera. But I'm guessing you don't intend that for all your characters, so for some variation in expression, the eyebrows really gotta move.

Airport was calm on NY's eve, so I spent my time drawing. Will definitely continue Angela, but I forgot my drawing binder at home so I had to start something new. I'll try to finish both today.

Kaelyn1.jpg

WHOOOAAAHH!

I'm loving the black eyes! This is my new favorite of yours, Stormy! If you could keep the hair white, that would look supremely bad ass.

Heh.

Lookin' good there, Emily. A suggestion though, if I may... You always draw your eyebrows directly above the eye, and so all your characters look angry. This might be the intention, but just saying, usually eyebrows are some distance above the eye, not directly on top of it - unless, of course, your character needs to be looking angrily into the camera. But I'm guessing you don't intend that for all your characters, so for some variation in expression, the eyebrows really gotta move.

Thanks for the advice and I see what you mean. Though the last fella is supposed to look like that, I'm see it in Qui-Gon and Loomis; guys with larger eyebrow bones, haha. I'll keep working on it though!

I tried to draw my boyfriend.. I'm not 100% satisfied with the result even if it's not finish yet but well I'm trying. I don't know why, but for me it's hard to draw someone you see everyday, but easy to draw a random person.

SDC19980--.jpg

SDC19988--rik.jpg

SDC19969-rik.jpg

Rox, if you want to learn to draw portraits you'll need to approach it a lot more methodically. Just jotting down facial features and hoping they'll be in the right place seldom works. You need to observe distances and proportions. If you're drawing from a picture, don't be afraid to take out your ruler every now and then and measure something to make sure it's in the right place. Right now you've got the essence of the expression on paper, but not much else. There's no similarity, no believability. First place your features, then start shading and adding details. And never, ever, draw a line to indicate the bridge of the nose, it makes it look like it's glued on.

Drawing a random person is much easier because you don't have a similarity to uphold in your work. Drawing a face isn't that hard, drawing a face the way you want it to look - that's immensely tough, and I'm afraid it's not something you'll master in a year or two. I've been drawing for, oh, twelve years, and I still can't get expressions right the way I want to.

Actually for what she did Stormy, I think she did remarkably well. Drawing a random person is no different than drawing an everyday buddy. Because you're still worried about facial structure, composition of the face, and the things that actually make the person look like the person, like their facial features. If you can't get that down, then whats the point of even drawing their faces. I think PsycRoxXptic should draw her boyfriend everyday and in different positions, it'll help. I mean drawing a random person is cool and all, simply cause you can be all "hey, a random dude I sketched" Nobody would think twice, unless you had a picture to show in comparison. Anywho I think it was a great drawing. Keep up the good work.

/rant

Drawing a random person is no different than drawing an everyday buddy. Because you're still worried about facial structure, composition of the face, and the things that actually make the person look like the person, like their facial features.
You misunderstand. By a "random person", I mean simply drawing a face without having a model in mind to resemble. If you say, I want to draw a face, no matter what it looks like, it's easier than actually drawing a face which is supposed to resemble someone.

Thanks for your comments guys.

@El_stormo: as you said, I check the proportions and all.. and I never use a ruler, because arts don't need it. That was said by my art teachers. I used my fingers to compare distance but I don't use things. I have more difficulty with the nose and shadings, because when I do that it kind of destroy my drawing..

To test my drawing, I sent it to some friends that know how my boyfriend looks like and they said like ''shit, it looks like him, good work''

I always had difficulty to draw noses.. and for the eyes, I don't have a lot of problems, but those of my bf are complicated to draw with their right curves and bows.. I always drew and learn by myself. I started to draw ''true'' portraits when I was 16 years old. It's sure that I'm better in other things in arts, but I like to draw humans and portraits. I don't do hyper-realist portraits, but I should try.. it's hard. If I put to much shade, if I don't let the white of the paper in a face, it finish to not look like what I wanted to draw. I'm good in abstract drawings mixed with figurative drawings, I did a canva last year in my 2D course (I'm in arts at cegep) and I got A by my ''strict'' teacher who is hardcore with his comments sometimes :p

Well this is a portrait of a girl who was fucking good in portraits in my art program. She did always hyper-realist drawings.

n521266404_330711_4198.jpg

@El_stormo: as you said, I check the proportions and all.. and I never use a ruler, because arts don't need it. That was said by my art teachers.
Then your art teachers are full of it. I absolutely hate comments like, "A real artist doesn't use X" or "real art doesn't need Y". Anything that makes your piece better is fine to use, except tracing or theft.

Then your art teachers are full of it. I absolutely hate comments like, "A real artist doesn't use X" or "real art doesn't need Y". Anything that makes your piece better is fine to use, except tracing or theft.

it just depends I think. When you do something with a X technique, you use maskntape and ruler etc, but it's when you need lines or other things right and perfect.

it just depends I think.
Exactly. It depends how you want your picture to look. So art teachers shouldn't ride their high horse and say "A real artist doesn't need/use this or that", because a real artist simply uses whatever he can to make his picture as good as possible.

Fact is, if you want a resemblance to be 100%, you need to measure a few things. You can use your pencil or finger (you have to, if you're using a live model), but if you use a photo, you might as well use a ruler. It's faster, more accurate, and easier.

Roxy,
I think you're doing very well. How long have you been drawing for?

I've taken many many life drawing classes with both good and bad teachers, and I find that these excercises really helped me with portraits:

blind contour: Most people I know hate it, but it really helps you if you observe your subject and draw without looking away from the said subject too much. I find that the key to getting a likeness down is to stare more at your subject than the paper. If I look at my actual drawing too much, I tend to transcribe whatever I see in my head instead of what is actually sitting in front of me, (which makes for an awesome character, btw). :)

After drawing for many years, you can eventually learn to "eyeball" proportions, kind of like how a really good chef eyeballs ingredients...but this can still lead to fuck ups.
I've done it...a lot, so It is helpful to measure proportions with your pencil..it is much harder to use a thumb.
When you're first starting your portrait, use vine charcoal to jot down light marks representing where the eyes, bottom of nose and mouth line are, then check your proportions before you completely go nuts with your pencil, charcoal, etc (I probably fail to do this half the time, then I realize that things look off when I'm almost done :( )

Also, step back from your drawing often, and/or look at it upside-down...sounds weird, but it helps when you're drawing from a photograph.

ALSO - try drawing with soft charcoal and smudge tool - I found that it helped me a lot

See ya...I have to go back to work :(

You didn't like Paula Grey did you Lesa? I thought her life drawing class was the bestest.... Her color and compostion class was less than exciting however I did learn some interesting stuff from the class right before I jumped ship.

Oh yeah, Roxy, Don't listen to Lesa, she never makes drawing mistakes.:err:

I make pleeeenty of mistakes...I look at my old drawings and cringe, ugh.

Actually, I really liked Paula. She was a buddy of mine, and she was my boss at one point.
Her color and comp class was ok, I think she was just really nervous about being the new head of the art department...and she never taught that class before.

Btw, on a side note, that was where I met Via (Vic) Keller...
the lady that designed the Garden of Grey shirt.
:Spin:

Btw, the last time I talked to Paula she told me that she rescued a bathtub full of koi and goldfish and didn't know what to do with them
(that resulted in an awesome conversation that lasted about 2 hours in the Walmart fish isle)
*doodles a fishy*

:)