Article on the success of Sanctuary

Tough As Steel

a.k.a. Aussie Dave
Feb 12, 2002
Canberra
Visit site
Safe haven of music hits right notes

Doug Morrison

INTERNET piracy and falling compact disc sales have been an unholy combination for the music industry, and one with no obvious sign of respite for the foreseeable future.

But there is a sanctuary from all the doom and gloom. To be precise there is the Sanctuary Group.

The group was formed 25 years ago to manage heavy metal band Iron Maiden, but is now an international media company with interests in just about every aspect of the music business.

This week City analysts are expecting Sanctuary to post a pretty upbeat trading position, seemingly at odds with the prevailing negative sentiment yet wholly consistent with the group’s enviable financial track record following its stock market flotation in 1998.

Sanctuary has delivered 25%-plus annual growth since then and is forecast to lift profits from £10.1m to £13.7m for its September year-end.

By contrast, the group’s shares, now standing at 32.5p, have halved over the past year because it has been lumped in with all the record company majors that have lamely pinned the blame for their poor CD sales on illegal downloading of music from the internet.

Andy Taylor, Sanctuary’s chairman, holds a contrary view and is indeed defiantly optimistic about the outlook for the group and the industry as a whole. "The demand for music is as strong as it’s ever been, if not stronger," he says.

Global CD sales have fallen by 5% over the past year, something Taylor attributes to economic conditions - but only partly.

"A lot of the problems that the big companies are suffering from come down to the fact that the quality of music is not that great," he suggests.

"Music is not a necessity in life, it’s a choice. The type of music we release we know people want."

And far from decrying the impact of the internet, Taylor maintains it will "provide phenomenal growth to our industry".

The reason for such upbeat optimism derives from the way he and co-founder Rod Smallwood have structured Sanctuary.

They still look after the interests of Iron Maiden, but their management business has grown into one of the largest in the world with a roster of acts as diverse as Guns N’ Roses and Elaine Paige. A recent acquisition has added The Who and Led Zeppelin to this impressive list.

‘We’re not vying with the majors for breaking the next pop act’

Sanctuary also has a touring booking agency representing 350 acts and a merchandise business, which involves not just the obligatory tour T-shirt but everything to do with an act’s image rights.

Put the three service businesses together with Sanctuary’s record labels and its audio-visual production subsidiary, then, as Taylor suggests, "you’ve got a powerful base".

There is arguably no other company with the same broad spread of interests, although Sanctuary is competing against some tough opposition on each front - not least against the majors when it comes to CD sales.

There again, the company has deliberately gone down the low-risk niche route with its record label, signing acts with established careers and loyal fans who will buy anything that is put out.

Recent label signings such as Dolly Parton and Gary Moore could not be farther apart musically but they conform to Sanctuary’s financial model.

Not that the group shuns up-and-coming bands - New York band The Strokes are on the books - but they are there to be nurtured for the long term.

"The quantum of what they sell is not the issue, it’s the consistency of sales," says Taylor. "We’re not competing with the majors for breaking the next pop act."

According to Sanctuary’s own research, 94% of the populations of the UK and America listen to music as part of their lives, 33% spend money on music on a regular basis and 5% are fanatical about one or more acts. It is that 5% that interests Sanctuary and has helped drive its profits. Its extensive back catalogue - through the acquisitions of the Castle and Trojan labels - underpins the formula.

According to Taylor, recurring income from such music niches is unlikely to be hit by internet downloading in the same way as, for instance, the transitory TV Pop Idols.

Taylor believes the internet pirates have been good for the industry because the people who rarely buy CDs anyway have got used to downloading music.

Once it is done legally it will provide further publishing income to both acts and record companies.

"We’re using the internet to increase the penetration of our acts," says Taylor. "The area of the business that will be hit worst by the internet is not the record industry but the radio stations."

Equally important, he adds, is that the doom-mongers have overlooked the wider use of music in films and adverts. What was once regarded as ancillary to CD sales is now a key part of the income to both Sanctuary and its acts.

Taylor says: "There is nothing wrong with the music industry. It’s a $100bn a year industry. The whole global income grew by 9.4% last year and I believe it will continue to grow dramatically."

The real boon has been DVD - "the fastest growing consumer market of all time".

Sanctuary got into this when the majors all but ignored the audio-visual rights of their artists. The group first moved into TV production (last week’s BBC documentary on Phil Collins was a Sanctuary production), giving it the expertise when music DVDs took off - especially among those loyal fanatics.

Sales of a recent Iron Maiden DVD have topped 150,000 - far more than those of many mainstream pop acts.

Taylor has said he wants Sanctuary to have a £1bn stock market value. Today it is worth £105m, and for all its mix of interests, the group is benchmarked against EMI even though it is far more reliant on CD sales.

"All it proves is that the share price has nothing to do with the value of the business," says Taylor. "Within the trade, Sanctuary is seen as a star."

--------------
Taken from scotlandonsunday.com

It's quite an interesting read. I always suspected that bands like Maiden and those with "a fanatical fan base" would never be affected by piracy.

My theory is DVDs are reducing music sales (along with an economic downturn). It's been demonstrated on this very forum. A while ago, every couple of weeks a certain poster goes to Utopia and bought 10 or so CD's. Now they're buying 7 CDs a 3 DVDs. CD SALES HAVE DROPPED BY 30% !

I can't help but notice that vinyl and cassette sales have dropped dramatically since CDs came in. This used to be how Maiden sold all of their albums, but now kids today resort to a medium which is damaging Maiden's main source of income for their music.

Originally posted by phlogiston

My theory is DVDs are reducing music sales (along with an economic downturn). It's been demonstrated on this very forum. A while ago, every couple of weeks a certain poster goes to Utopia and bought 10 or so CD's. Now they're buying 7 CDs a 3 DVDs. CD SALES HAVE DROPPED BY 30% !

:lol:

Metallica have a fanatical fanbase, and if you ask them, piracy is taking the food from their table. Poor guys.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Everyone bags Metallica for the whole Napster thing, but I agree with pretty much every single thing Lars said. It was more the principle of the thing than them loosing money...

I dont know, a band that has sold some 20 million albums in the US ALONE has nothing to bitch about. The black album still sells like 10000 copies a week.

I think Metallica listened to their lawyers too much without checking out the facts. Sure some people download whole albums and dont buy them, but how many bands have you heard on MP3 then gone and bought their albums? More than the people who just download the whole thing id bet :D

Theres good and bad points, but id say theres more good than bad :)

But thats what Metallica's whole arguement was. MP3's can be used as a device, and if it was controlled, then they would be very much in favour of it. Your right, I have bought cds after sampling bands mp3s, but I never d/l whole albums, and thats what they want.

Piracy is fucked these days anyway. I seriously don't know anyone besides myself that buys cds anymore. My friends all laugh at me when I do, and I am just like 'fuck you, thats why the industry is getting completely fucked...'

I don't think I've ever copied an entire CD, except for burner-testing issues. I have a couple of burnt CDs that friends have sent but the only reason I don't have the originals is because I haven't been able to find them (or didn't care for the CDs that much to actually buy the original... and no, I don't listen to the copy, so I don't *think* I'm ripping the artist off!).

But you cant control it :( Its there and you cant stop it now. Its like telling people not to tape shows off the tv, its gonna happen.

Metallica should have tried to work with it somehow, with their money and influence they could have done things a bit better I think :(

I agree, it could have been handled better, but I just hate how it has ruined their reputation (OK, Load and Re-Load might also have had something to do with that :lol: ), when I think they were doing the right thing...

Your right about the cd burning and video recording thing. People suck. :mad:

Yes, people DO suck, if it wasnt for them, Metallica wouldnt be so despised for just being a bit silly :D

Originally posted by weetbix
...although I bet they would like to break the neck of just about any pop act :lol:

Well, they were on the verge of signing Mel B from the Spice Girls a couple years ago... :)