Article on the success of Sanctuary

I don't forget their great music from the 80s, but just take one listen of the 90s stuff, or look at their stupid haircuts, or listen to James say "hey hey hey", or think about Napster, or think about Lars at all, and it's all over!

:lol:

Well I like their 90s stuff, don't give a shit about their hair cuts (I have short hair, does that make me less metal?) and think Lars was right about the whole Napster thing. I can understand people not liking their new stuff, but I can't understand people forgetting what an awesome band they are.

Heres the way I see it....Megadeth released an even softer album than Metallica did, but people seem to just ignore that and all is well, but what Metallica did was go to record a double album full of rock tunes, and now they are cursed for all eternity...

Is good to hear in their studio updates that they are scrapping alot of material, which they have never done before. I guess thats why Load and Re-Load were two good albums that could have been one awesome album, because they didn't scrap some of the 'not as good' material.

It will all be interesting!

Lars is a knob, it doesnt matter if he is right or not Blitzy ;)

Agree with you about Load/Reload, they should have cut off the crap and made one brilliant album instead of thinking they were Guns and Roses :D

I agree with Blitzy's point of view. I wrote an entire article about Metallica's dispute with Napster and it came down to the same thing: controlling the medium. File-sharing has made piracy far too easy, and no one thought about regulating it. I think most bands like people to hear their music anyway they can, but there must be some kind of impact on sales somewhere. If Metallica hadn't made such a stink about it, it could very easily have spiralled even further out of control. If sales fall too much, labels start losing money and the first things they do then is cut bands from their rosters, and you can bet that bands like Metallica, U2, REM etc. won't be the ones to get cut. The principle of what Metallica was saying was right, but the dumb bullheaded way they went about it was not.

Originally posted by Goreripper
The principle of what Metallica was saying was right, but the dumb bullheaded way they went about it was not.

Exactly :D