AS @ Key Club - July 9th, 2011

Metal375

Tanith First & Only
Apr 18, 2008
California
For those of you hanging out amongst the chirping crickets :lol: - anybody going to the show? I shall be there - nothing wrong with the setlist from last year, but hoping they change it up big time for this one. Looking forward to some more stuff from SoS :headbang:

Completely did NOT hear about this show. Wish I could've been there! Here's the setlist from Setlist.fm, no idea if it's correct, but what an odd mix of songs...

Loose Cannon
March of the Saint
Nervous Man
Head On
Human Vulture
After Me, The Flood
Last Train Home
La Raza
False Alarm
Left Hook From Right Field
Reign of Fire
Chemical Euphoria

ENCORE:
Book of Blood
Can U Deliver
Mad House

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/armored-saint/2011/key-club-west-hollywood-ca-3bd354bc.html

First reaction: HOLY SHIT! They played Last Train Home, False Alarm, and Book of Blood! I wish I could have seen that.
Second reaction: It's a pretty similar set to the last two shows they've played (Santa Clara and HOB last May), minus some newer stuff and adding a WHOLE BUNCH of Raising Fear. Very interesting sets they've been doing lately. I'm sure they are tired of Symbol material, but I honestly wish they would touch on that and some more Revelation stuff (as much as I love the early albums).

By popular demand, (well, 2 posters constitutes popular demand in the AS forum! :lol:) a review of the show:

Before I start, the setlist from setlist.fm is 100% correct...because I was there and I was the one who posted it haha....

I agree that the show did not seem to be very well promoted ahead of time - only saw it mentioned on their FB page about a month or so in advance. I had found out about it through Metal Assault since Andrew had mentioned it on that FB site well before that.

Talked a buddy of mine into going - he remembered SoS when it came out 20 years ago so I figured AS would play at least a couple off that. The openers were...well, at least I can say that each one was better than the last IMO, but that would not be saying much. Hirax was cool - had never seen them live before or had any of their stuff, but I knew how long Katon and Co. have been in the trenches sticking it out, so props to them. I think the crowd was a little taken aback by the thrash attack after the previous alt/hard rock/nu metalish openers.

Once Hirax was done, we were treated to another epic waiting period for AS (just like last year!) to take the stage. Once they (finally) came out, it was a great show (to no AS fan's surprise). Overall, yeah, the setlist was mostly rehashed from the 2 shows last year, but it was still sweet. I personally would have loved to see more obscure SoS stuff than RoF and LTH, but both songs still kicked ass.

"Human Vulture", "False Alarm" and "Book of Blood" were songs picked by members of the crowd. The band brought out a board of 10(?) songs and three fans each got to pick one of the songs on the board. I was at the back of the floor, so I couldn't tell you what other songs were on the board that might have been played.

They closed out the encore after "BoB" with "Can U Deliver" and "Mad House". After being pretty tame all night, the floor finally came alive with a mosh pit for "CUD" and it went even crazier for "MH". I was shooting video of the last 2 songs with my crappy digital camera, but had to stop shooting about 30 secs into "MH" because I needed both hands to defend myself hahah.

Gonzo threw out a few sticks, drum covers, etc. during the show. My buddy and I caught one of the covers at the back over the rail. I was willing to concede it to him since he came to the show, but he let me have it. Sweet! Signed with "Armored Saint 2011" with the 5 band members names on it. Saw a few near-fights break out over the stuff thrown out, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

Oh, and John took time out to sing the Star Spangled Banner between "False Alarm" and "Left Hook..." He said he had been invited to sing it at an upcoming roller derby game(!) and wanted to try it out on us. Just him by himself, no music...and he killed it :kickass::worship:

Overall, a good show, but I think the HoB show last year down the street was slightly better - just my personal opinion. I just wish I could have seen them a couple decades ago! Oh well, already looking forward to next year's annual L.A. show! :headbang:

By popular demand, (well, 2 posters constitutes popular demand in the AS forum! :lol:) a review of the show:

Before I start, the setlist from setlist.fm is 100% correct...because I was there and I was the one who posted it haha....

I agree that the show did not seem to be very well promoted ahead of time - only saw it mentioned on their FB page about a month or so in advance. I had found out about it through Metal Assault since Andrew had mentioned it on that FB site well before that.

Talked a buddy of mine into going - he remembered SoS when it came out 20 years ago so I figured AS would play at least a couple off that. The openers were...well, at least I can say that each one was better than the last IMO, but that would not be saying much. Hirax was cool - had never seen them live before or had any of their stuff, but I knew how long Katon and Co. have been in the trenches sticking it out, so props to them. I think the crowd was a little taken aback by the thrash attack after the previous alt/hard rock/nu metalish openers.

Once Hirax was done, we were treated to another epic waiting period for AS (just like last year!) to take the stage. Once they (finally) came out, it was a great show (to no AS fan's surprise). Overall, yeah, the setlist was mostly rehashed from the 2 shows last year, but it was still sweet. I personally would have loved to see more obscure SoS stuff than RoF and LTH, but both songs still kicked ass.

"Human Vulture", "False Alarm" and "Book of Blood" were songs picked by members of the crowd. The band brought out a board of 10(?) songs and three fans each got to pick one of the songs on the board. I was at the back of the floor, so I couldn't tell you what other songs were on the board that might have been played.

They closed out the encore after "BoB" with "Can U Deliver" and "Mad House". After being pretty tame all night, the floor finally came alive with a mosh pit for "CUD" and it went even crazier for "MH". I was shooting video of the last 2 songs with my crappy digital camera, but had to stop shooting about 30 secs into "MH" because I needed both hands to defend myself hahah.

Gonzo threw out a few sticks, drum covers, etc. during the show. My buddy and I caught one of the covers at the back over the rail. I was willing to concede it to him since he came to the show, but he let me have it. Sweet! Signed with "Armored Saint 2011" with the 5 band members names on it. Saw a few near-fights break out over the stuff thrown out, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

Oh, and John took time out to sing the Star Spangled Banner between "False Alarm" and "Left Hook..." He said he had been invited to sing it at an upcoming roller derby game(!) and wanted to try it out on us. Just him by himself, no music...and he killed it :kickass::worship:

Overall, a good show, but I think the HoB show last year down the street was slightly better - just my personal opinion. I just wish I could have seen them a couple decades ago! Oh well, already looking forward to next year's annual L.A. show! :headbang:

Awesome....wish I could have been there.....any videos of this??