As much as I love Nevermore. . . .

My non-food recommendation is..

Don't look for stuff that's like Nevermore. Let them have their place in your collection. It also helps to give artists their own space, which is the way I prefer to look at music. I never usually look for other bands "in a similar vein" to something else, simply because it can feel like it's watering down the feeling I had for the original band/artist.

As far as food goes I'd highly recommend this:

steak.jpg

Ok NK, I follow your logic, and I tend to agree. But I'm gonna take it in a different direction: what about the matter of 'influence'?

I'm starting a new band with some guys, and I tend to wear my influences on my sleeve. I can certainly hear my influences in the songs I wrote for the Down Factor record. Is it OK to be influenced by bands you like? By your logic, if I end up sounding like Nevermore, then I'm not worth investigating, especially to fans of Nevermore.

Coming up with a purely unique sound is the goal of all bands, but I can count on two hands the bands who nailed their unique sound on their first record. Maybe that's your job? ;)

Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
(Homer looks excited)
Waitress: I was kidding.
Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
Waitress: No he doesn’t!

So you're saying that when pickled. The feet soften and thus making an inedible disk of hoof into an edible slab of something a dog would only eat?

Maybe that's your job? ;)

Yes, I think my job is to capture who the artist is, and not try to shoehorn them into sounding like a billion others out there. To me, individuality in music makes it special.

I do see your point of course, in that musicians are always going to be influenced by other music that they like. Having said that, there's quite a difference between influence and "trying to sound like someone else" which I do find rather odd, although artists are certainly free to do that if they so choose.

As an example, I usually refer back to the prog rock days of the 70s in the UK, where I grew up, and all those bands, like Yes, Van Der Graaf, Genesis, Gentle Giant. King Crimson, ELP etc etc. all sounded completely different from each other, but were all friends and in the same scene. Back in those days these bands weren't checking out what the others were doing and saying to themselves "Hmm, we should probably be doing something like that too". It was an amazingly healthy scene back then, and bands simply made a name for themselves doing what they did, and not doing what they thought they ought to be doing, in order to "fit in" or appeal to a certain crowd.

I constantly look for artists whose music I find to be unusual and/or quirky, or who seem to be taking chances with their art. It's really easy to be a follower, but a leader? Not so much..

:kickass:

Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
(Homer looks excited)
Waitress: I was kidding.
Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
Waitress: No he doesn’t!

So you're saying that when pickled. The feet soften and thus making an inedible disk of hoof into an edible slab of something a dog would only eat?
Homer: So, you think you know better than this family, huh?
Well, as long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do,
and believe what I believe.. So butter your bacon!
Bart: Yes, father.
Homer: Bacon up that sausage, boy.
Bart: Dad, my heart hurts.

If I remember correctly, this thread started out as a call for bands similar to our dear Nevermore (and wound up in sausages and shoehorns).

Sven, of bands that I know, the one closest to Nevermore in my mind is the Danish band Mercenary. They're also related to Circus Maximus, a group that was mentioned earlier in this thread. And then there's German Sieges Even, who also have that rawness combined with melody and great musicianship. I'm pretty sure that you'll like these three bands.

Dream Theater's Train Of Thought also has some of that feel.

But I agree with you and others in this forum: Nevermore are very unique !!! and special !!! and WOW !!!

And none of the singers in these bands grab you by the b*s the way Warrel does :headbang:

Sven, your first name sounds Swedish and your last name Finnish. Are you living around here ? (I'm in Copenhagen)

Nicky.

Yes, I think my job is to capture who the artist is, and not try to shoehorn them into sounding like a billion others out there. To me, individuality in music makes it special.

I do see your point of course, in that musicians are always going to be influenced by other music that they like. Having said that, there's quite a difference between influence and "trying to sound like someone else" which I do find rather odd, although artists are certainly free to do that if they so choose.

As an example, I usually refer back to the prog rock days of the 70s in the UK, where I grew up, and all those bands, like Yes, Van Der Graaf, Genesis, Gentle Giant. King Crimson, ELP etc etc. all sounded completely different from each other, but were all friends and in the same scene. Back in those days these bands weren't checking out what the others were doing and saying to themselves "Hmm, we should probably be doing something like that too". It was an amazingly healthy scene back then, and bands simply made a name for themselves doing what they did, and not doing what they thought they ought to be doing, in order to "fit in" or appeal to a certain crowd.

I constantly look for artists whose music I find to be unusual and/or quirky, or who seem to be taking chances with their art. It's really easy to be a follower, but a leader? Not so much..

:kickass:

Being a quite famous producer, I'd like to know your opinion on what you think of my band's new album and how you think it would fit (or wouldn't fit) into the music scene these days, and maybe some tips on improving sound and dynamics in the recording. Of course, the myspace page just has three tracks, but if you'd like more, let me know. It's supposed to be really cold and almost inhuman-sounding, so if it sounds a bit glacial, that's a good thing for us. We personally believe that, while we are influenced by bands in the genre similar to ours, we're definitely not a carbon copy. I'm curious about your opinion.

We're about to send it out en masse to labels. We've gotten really good reviews from all over, but I wanna hear it from the man himself. Constructive and even brutal criticism is welcome. If you'd like more than the three tracks posted, let me know and I'll snail mail you a copy of the album.

www.myspace.com/theskylab