Ask The Band

As it's December now... Favourite album(s) released this year?

As it's December now... Favourite album(s) released this year?

Scar Symmetry - "Holographic Universe"
In Flames - "A Sense Of Purpose"
Trivium - "Shogun"
All That Remains - "Overcome"
Slipknot - "All Hope Is Gone"
Children Of Bodom - "Blooddrunk"
All Shall Perish - "Awaken The Dreamers"
Opeth - "Watershed"
Textures - "Silhouettes"
Cradle Of Filth - "Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder"
Arsis - "We Are The Nightmare"
Kalmah - "For The Revolution"
Heaven Shall Burn - "Iconoclast"
Brain Drill - "Apocalyptic Feasting"
Meshuggah - "obZen"
Mercenary - "Architect Of Lies"
After The Burial - "Rareform"
Norther - "N"
Protest The Hero - "Fortress"
Unearth - "The March"

Mmmm Scar Symmetry, Opeth, Arsis, Protest, Kalmah... excellent choices :D

Hey man!

It's not too serious with the gear. We've got a simple Mbox 2. The money is in the computer and speakers. We have 2 KRK Rokit 8's and a KRK Rockit 10" sub. The computer is a Quad Core 4 gig ram, 750gig HD with a 22" monitor. I figured investing in the machine was better than investing in external gear at this time. Pretty simple setup, just a lot of money in the computer and speakers :). And thanks for the comments on the sound. I rarely get anyone mentioning it and I spend days on each song, and hours mixing lol.

-Chris

Yo bro,

You're the man! Thanks again for the compliments.

Regarding the writing process, for the songs I've written, I usually don't have a general outline as a first draft. I'll take each part as far as I can before moving on. Step by step, ya know? Otherwise, it's hard for me to get excited about a song that I'm working on. Writing 1 great part is much more satisfying for me than writing 5 mediocre parts.

As far as inspiration goes, I try to listen to different types of music. I'll blast my Bodom CD's as much as the next metalhead, but after a while of that same influence, my writing will naturally become redundant. There is nothing wrong with turning to different genres of music for ideas. Once you can get past the fact that it's not metal, you'll begin to find that most musical ideas can be applied to metal.

Lastly, when we play MA, I wanna see you rockin' out at the gate! Thanks again for your support, please continue to ask us any other questions you might have.

-AJ

Yo, What's up guys? It's Dednightwarriorx from the smnnews forum.

Chris,

Thank's for answering my questions about the gear! I'll have to check that stuff out, I was looking into getting an Mbox already so it seems like that'd be a good way to go. And you're welcome about the comments on the sound! How long did it take you to get around pro tools and learn how to use it all that well?

AJ,

You're the man too! You're welcome about the compliments!

Thank's for the songwriting tips, I'll have to try some of that stuff out. I listen to more than just metal as it is right now but I'll have to start analyzing other styles and try out some new ideas. My writing did start to get a little redundant so this explains it and should be a great help!

Thank's again for answering my questions!

See you at the barrier,:headbang:
Joe

Fuckin right too CHIKOO! awesomeness guys! Good albums too, Scar Symmetry excellent! what about the Born of Osirus tho???

Yo, What's up guys? It's Dednightwarriorx from the smnnews forum.

Chris,

Thank's for answering my questions about the gear! I'll have to check that stuff out, I was looking into getting an Mbox already so it seems like that'd be a good way to go. And you're welcome about the comments on the sound! How long did it take you to get around pro tools and learn how to use it all that well?

AJ,

You're the man too! You're welcome about the compliments!

Thank's for the songwriting tips, I'll have to try some of that stuff out. I listen to more than just metal as it is right now but I'll have to start analyzing other styles and try out some new ideas. My writing did start to get a little redundant so this explains it and should be a great help!

Thank's again for answering my questions!

See you at the barrier,:headbang:
Joe

Hey bud!

It took me about 2 years to get my head around Pro Tools. I've been mixing for about a year properly and previous to that i've spend about 6 years playing around with things. I did a course at uni for music tech originally but it was a total waste of time so I just sat at home and taught myself lol.

Hardest thing is learning how to use the effects properly. I started off coating everything in reverb, making the guitars sound really scooped etc and you can't hear shit. So it's learning to make everything work as a balance. Mbox is the way to go man :). Start off with that and you'll be all good.

Thanks for following us to this forum!
-Chris

Hey bud!

It took me about 2 years to get my head around Pro Tools. I've been mixing for about a year properly and previous to that i've spend about 6 years playing around with things. I did a course at uni for music tech originally but it was a total waste of time so I just sat at home and taught myself lol.

Hardest thing is learning how to use the effects properly. I started off coating everything in reverb, making the guitars sound really scooped etc and you can't hear shit. So it's learning to make everything work as a balance. Mbox is the way to go man :). Start off with that and you'll be all good.

Thanks for following us to this forum!
-Chris

Hey Man,

Oh wow so you've had some pretty good time getting used to the program and everything. Thanks for the tips I'm gonna have to grab myself an mbox for sure now! Did you use any books or anything like that to help you out? If I have any other questions I'll let you guys know.

Keep it rockin,
Joe

Hey Man,

Oh wow so you've had some pretty good time getting used to the program and everything. Thanks for the tips I'm gonna have to grab myself an mbox for sure now! Did you use any books or anything like that to help you out? If I have any other questions I'll let you guys know.

Keep it rockin,
Joe

Yeah mbox's are cool. They do everything you'll need. I didn't use any books really, I just spent a long time playing around with things, but I did buy this book recently as some of the guys in the band are interested in learning some stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Tools-LE-an...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50 I didn't pay that much tho I got it for about $10 used.

-Chris

Yeah mbox's are cool. They do everything you'll need. I didn't use any books really, I just spent a long time playing around with things, but I did buy this book recently as some of the guys in the band are interested in learning some stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Tools-LE-an...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50 I didn't pay that much tho I got it for about $10 used.

-Chris

Awesome, I'll check it out and maybe I'll have to pick one up. Thanks!

Good luck in the studio!:headbang:

-Joe

Hey guys i've been a fan of yours since Andrew did bass and vocals. My question is (i know its really early and you're just hitting the studio) but have you guys thought about what song you want to be your debut single?

and is My Eyes In The Fire going to be on the debut?

oh, and do you still talk to Samus, your ex drummer?

okay i lied, three questions

good luck in the studio, i can't wait to buy your full length, you guys are totally going to take the metal world by storm.
-Sean

Hey guys i've been a fan of yours since Andrew did bass and vocals. My question is (i know its really early and you're just hitting the studio) but have you guys thought about what song you want to be your debut single?

and is My Eyes In The Fire going to be on the debut?

oh, and do you still talk to Samus, your ex drummer?

okay i lied, three questions

good luck in the studio, i can't wait to buy your full length, you guys are totally going to take the metal world by storm.
-Sean

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the questions!

Not sure about the songs for the album, this is our 2nd day in Florida and we're working with Jason to pick the best ones.

And yes, I still talk to Sam. I try and keep in touch with everyone that's been involved with the band over the years.

Thanks for the kind words and support, talk soon man.

-AJ