Astounding guitar solos.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Yeah, rokk! Definitely, Ace's solo in that song is one of his best. That's my fave Ace song ever. The Elder was by far my fave KISS album. I'm surprised you like it, rokk. That album kinda makes you "think". :D

Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia

:D People keep saying the album is a "concept" album, which must mean there is a storyline in there somewhere.;)
To me "its only rock-n-roll, but I like it"!

:headbang:

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage

well i think adrian/murray/gers hands down hold fantastic guitar work that doesnt really need to be rattled off, but each of their solo's is awesome.

ive also found herman from dragonforce's guitar solos on My Spirit Will Go on and Through Fire And Flames to be awesome.

andre from blind guardian also holds some awesome ones i think like imaginations, somewhere far beyond, soulforged, and yes, the bards song.

another more melodic solo that really hit me the first time was the solo on Sword Of Retrubition by tad morose. that really kicked ass.

romeo and petrucci, being guitar gods, also have many fuckin brilliant solos.

iced earth have some killer, on ah dio's work with dio, rainbow, and sabbath.

eh, its kinda hard for me to pick certain songs so i generalized.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Yeah, rokk! Definitely, Ace's solo in that song is one of his best. That's my fave Ace song ever. The Elder was by far my fave KISS album. I'm surprised you like it, rokk. That album kinda makes you "think". :D

Sweeeet!! So I'm not the only one! Ace's solo on "Dark Light" is really good. I like "Fractured Mirror" for my favorite Ace tune.

Some faves:

Thom Youngblood (Kamelot)
Although he doesn't really do massive 6min solos or OOT shredding, there's some really classy stuff of the recent Kamelot albums. I think the solos in Karma and III Ways To Epica are awesome.

Tore Ostby (Conception/Ark)
For me, this guy is the #2 reason to the greatness of Ark's Burn The Sun (Jorn is #1 :cool: ), and his work in Conception is none lesser (check out A Million Gods!)

Victor Smolski (Rage)
Well, this guy's just a total virtuoso. Quirky, interesting and absolutely rocking solos. And how the hell does he pull off that stuff, plus the intense riffage on stage? o_O

the BEST EVER solo is chuck shuldiner/james murphy when he played for death a song called-lowlife. the solo is unreal. ne iron maiden solo is pretty sweet too,exept the wicker man.seventh son of a seventh son has a great solo.

Wyvern said:
I was in the gym listening for the Nth time the "Extraterrestrial Live" version of B.O.C 'Veteran Of The Psychic Wars' that has one of the best solos in history IMO. That day Buck Dharma kick so much ass that I bet the audience inmolated themselves in awe as a sacrifice to a guitar god.

Blue Oyster Cult - 'Veteran Of The Psychic Wars' (live version)

You and I are night and day on guitarists, but Buck is a God. That is a great solo.

"Up to the Limit" is one of my faves as is "Too High to Get it Right" by Accept. I can name song after song by them of course.....

"Cold Wind" by Vanden Plas is also one of my faves. Though I love VP, Stephan isn't normally one of my fave soloists. He makes a big exception on that one. Great solo !!

Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force.... enough said. His first release is a myriad of solos. My fave is "Icarus Dream Suite Opus."

White Lion/Vito Bratta - "Lady of the Valley." This guy ruled the hair metal world. Great guitarist.

Pink Floyd/David Gilmour - "Comfortably Numb." Not metal, but he is too good not to mention.

Pagans Mind/jorn Viggo Lofstat - "Through Osiris Eyes." This is the last guitarist to kick my ass in the last 15 years. awesome !!

Bryant

Tommy Vetterli on About Life.....it takes a special kind of mind to switch from scale to scale and still make an absolutely amazing solo. Divine Step is another good solo by him.

Jeff Loomis - Seed Awakening

Bryant said:
You and I are night and day on guitarists, but Buck is a God. That is a great solo.

So we disagree that much in general? :err:

Pink Floyd/David Gilmour - "Comfortably Numb." Not metal, but he is too good not to mention.

He is! And to everyone go and check his solo on 'Dogs' then bow and ask for the reaper :loco:

More:

Coroner - 'Pale Sister'
Damn Yankees - 'Come Again'
AC/DC - 'Who Made Who?'
Saxon - 'Motorcycle Man'
Motorhead - 'Lost In The Ozone'
Thriumph - 'Lay It On The Line'

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die

Jake E Lee - Bark at the Moon song and most of Ultimate Sin if not all of that album
Rhoads - on the songs not in Tribute album like Tonight , S.A.T.O., Diary of a Madman etc.

Kirk Hammett - Creeping Death and Orion

Dave Murray/Adrian Smith - most if not all songs on Live After Death .. the live versions over the recorded ones of course...

thats it for now... my mind is blank tonight lol ...

Wyvern said:
Wow another Majestic fan :), that song kick some serious ass (although maybe not my idea of an astounding guitar solo).

It may not be the most melodic solo, but it IS balls out shred! :)
Yep, I love Majestic!

J-Dubya

tsorl said:
Some faves:

Victor Smolski (Rage)
Well, this guy's just a total virtuoso. Quirky, interesting and absolutely rocking solos. And how the hell does he pull off that stuff, plus the intense riffage on stage? o_O

Smolski is an amazing guitarist. I can't get past Peavy's vocals or I would listen to much more Rage. Mike Terrana is also a monster on the drums.

Bryant

Wyvern said:

He is! And to everyone go and check his solo on 'Dogs' then bow and ask for the reaper :loco:

More:

I don't know who gave lessons to Nuge between the mid-80's (when I saw him live) and the early 90's when he released his stuff with DY, but he had turned into an incredible player. Too bad things didn't work out with he and Damon Johnson (now the guitarist for Alice Cooper and former vocalist/guitarist for Brother Cane) for the next Damn Yankees release.

Bryant

Wyvern said:

More:

In general... I think you and I share similar tastes Brother Vern. We do differ in guitarist favorites though.

Good choice on The Nuge though. I felt like he was pretty much a mediocre guitarist up through ther mid-80's when I saw him live. Somewhere between the mid-80's and early 90's when The Damn Yankees came out, that guy must have took some lessons. He turned into an incredible guitar player.

Bryant

Stairway to Heaven-Jimmy Page
Most of Randy Rhoads' solos
Zakk Wylde-No more tears,See you on the other side
Gary Moore most of his
Dimebag -Cemetary Gates
James Hetfield-Nothing else matters
Megadeth-Tornado of soles

TheWhisper said:
I'm a sucker for Gary Moore. His playing on songs like 'Parisienne Walkways' & 'Still Got The Blues' send shivers down my spine every listen...so much feeling and so tasteful.

Oh yeah, Gary Moore! :worship:
What a player, IMO all shredders can hide behind him!
He's pure intensity and emotion...