Astrology, spiritual ant other alternative stuff

Personal experience is enough to make someone believe and I'm sure she's not the only one with this experience so it's too general to discount all of the data around the world as erroneous or discredible . It's just you have never had such an experience, you have never seen or felt these things so you're skeptical. That's why I feel that science and spirtuality should join forces so that we could study and better understand the frequency of the metaphysical, miracles and the power of intention. Stay open to the possibilities and face the polarity Leandro, maybe you'll experience the mystical one day; I would love you to expand your awareness so that you may share it with the world as you do with your scientific and linear knowledge.

Actually, I've had 'experiences' such as that. And they involved 'me' as the 'medium' or whatever they call it. However, it hasn't blinded me to the fact that a logical explanation is always available. Don't get me wrong - if these sort of phenomena DO exist, then they would be as much of a 'logical' explanation as any. That's not the point. The point is that no one in the history of the universe was able do prove that they actually exist... which should be simple enough.

As for your offer, thanks, but I think that I'll pass :p

If it's the truth, who cares.

For example, I wish with my life that practical interstellar travel were possible, but to our best knowledge, it's not. There might come a breakthrough, but it's probably not possible. Still, if it's the truth, I have to deal with it.

the truth is - you have no reason to live for.
you have no reason to go to school, what's the point? to get a job? and then what?
you work for money to buy shelter, food, water... why? what exactly is the point?
children? what the hell do they have to live for? pain, destruction and suffering?
do you want them to live through that?

since there are no souls our bodies are just empty shells when we die. we live to die and turn to dust. wow, that sounds like so much fun...
so, does your existance have a point?

you have no reason to go to school, what's the point? to get a job? and then what?
you work for money to buy shelter, food, water... why? what exactly is the point?
children? what the hell do they have to live for? pain, destruction and suffering?

since there are no souls our bodies are just empty shells when we die. we live to die and turn to dust. wow, that sounds like so much fun...

Heh, I've seen that argument one too many times. Truth is, my existence has A LOT of meaning. Because it's my only life, it's invaluable. All I'm hoping to do and accomplish, I must do it here. I might die and turn to bleached bones, but I hope to leave something behind that outlives me. That's the meaning of my life.

That's a defeated mindset that will get humanity nowhere. Life is the most precious thing that you have--it is a right given to you at birth. You are violating that right. You must rise up and accept it. You can create meaning, as Leandro says. Nothing is black and white, and certainly not life. That type of thinking I have no respect for, because you are violating your fundamental right, and as such, will lead humanity only downwards.

On this, you must use reason. All knowledge derives from reason, and it is certainly a choice to accept it. Wishing something is true or anything else are not facts nor do they discover them. Everyone is free to stop thinking and reject reason; however, you will not avoid the consequence of refusing to see it.

So the only reason you have a soul and meaning in life, is because you wish for it to be so? Sounds awfully vague, and in the lack of a better term; "weak".

Look around you, in the nature, from monkeys to snakes, birds to fish, insects and to plantlife. everything basically consists of survival, acquiring energy, and creating offspring. And so it does to us. Heck, we have instincts like an animal, and it is proven that a child raised without human contact, amongst wild animals for example, do not develop any form of human behaviour(like linguistic skills, math, and the likes). Surely if we had a soul, we'd always possess human behaviour, would we not?

Either insects and plants have souls too, or noone has(unless you're egocentrical enough to think that only humans are granted the divine gift of souls). If so, why haven't an armada of pine tree ghosts invaded my bedroom to avenge their untimely deaths? Their basic "purpose" and cycle in life, is quite similar to ours, metaphysical crap aside.
Apart from excelling in the use of logic, knowledge and technology, I fail to see what sets us humans apart from the rest of life.

Until proven otherwise, i see absolutely no reason why i should have a soul giving me a "point" to my existence.

Make your own future, don't sit around wishing that one is predetermined for you.

I hope you're american or danish so I won't have to feel bad about insulting you :saint:

and yah, I probably do think different from you, since my IQ being above average doesn't make us any more alike I would say. :Smug:

which reminds me, what are you still doing on this thread? ooo, you must like me... :D you like me a lot! aww, that's so sweet!

Wanna be my valentine? :cool:

What a pointless, shallow, and lame existence that sounds like. :(

Good thing for you! You are a Christian :saint:

This thread depresses me. I'm gonna go read Nietszche and eat my own feces now.

Ironically enough, when I feel depressed to the point that I just want to die, I just think about how I am just one of seven billion and my existence has no definitive purpose, meaning, and realistically has no impact in the large scheme of things. What a liberating feeling? To know that I can live the way I want and assign meaning to my life without concerning myself with philosophical questions that do not change anything.

Gojira's new album is win.

OH HELL YEAH! :headbang:

Ironically enough, when I feel depressed to the point that I just want to die, I just think about how I am just one of seven billion and my existence has no definitive purpose, meaning, and realistically has no impact in the large scheme of things. What a liberating feeling? To know that I can live the way I want and assign meaning to my life without concerning myself with philosophical questions that do not change anything.

I was being sarcastic, sir. I'm actually very content with my life. Knowing that I can still ask myself such philosophical questions, and can consider the abstract in harmony with the concrete, I'm quite relieved that I never have to choose sides :)

Heh, I've seen that argument one too many times. Truth is, my existence has A LOT of meaning. Because it's my only life, it's invaluable. All I'm hoping to do and accomplish, I must do it here. I might die and turn to bleached bones, but I hope to leave something behind that outlives me. That's the meaning of my life.

Indeed, the meaning of life is to give life meaning.

Until proven otherwise, i see absolutely no reason why i should have a soul giving me a "point" to my existence.

Make your own future, don't sit around wishing that one is predetermined for you.

I totally agree with the latter, but disagree with the former. You do have a point to your existence that's out of your control: it's your unique circumstance that you were born into. It's no coincidence, you, the time peroid and environment in which were born, your parents, the whole mystery and totality of your entire being is playing a unique role in process of evolution. You are leading a unique path on the forefront of evolution. You are blessed with an awareness and consciousness that has surpassed those of previous generations. You are right, destiny is not predetermined. Our goal is to spread our own truths right or wrong to expedite our travel down the road to greater awareness and understanding regardless of our attachments to outcome. Just until recently I realized not only do we choose our own destiny, but we also choose how we feel or give value and meaning to things that ultimately mean nothing. Once we are able to give up our excesses and decide to choose to love ourselves and others, we might be able to change our relation to the problems that will always exist in a positive way. Happiness does not come from external sources; conditional happiness does. My goal is to extend my higherselves' arm to the rest of those to hear my unique truth so that I may hear theirs and revise mine along the way toward a greater understanding. There are deeper ways of being and every moment of our lives has much greater far reaching consequences than we think. The means truly do justify the end in a world that is built to respond to our consciounesses.

what are you hoping to leave behind?

That's a defeated mindset that will get humanity nowhere. Life is the most precious thing that you have--it is a right given to you at birth. You are violating that right. You must rise up and accept it. You can create meaning, as Leandro says. Nothing is black and white, and certainly not life. That type of thinking I have no respect for, because you are violating your fundamental right, and as such, will lead humanity only downwards.

On this, you must use reason. All knowledge derives from reason, and it is certainly a choice to accept it. Wishing something is true or anything else are not facts nor do they discover them. Everyone is free to stop thinking and reject reason; however, you will not avoid the consequence of refusing to see it.

you don't know me so you couldn't have known I was being absolutely sarcastic ;)
actually, I think everything I wrote in that post is the opposite of my way of thinking... :)

it was more of a question about what life means to some people (and I know there are people who actually think that way so I was trying to see through their eyes).