The Rock/Metal/Alternative VIOLIN thread

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the use of VIOLINS (!!!) in rock, metal and alternative musics in general!

Feel free to post up:

* Videos/Audio of alternative violinists
* Recommendations of excellent rock/metal/alternative bands that feature violinists
* Songs/albums from bands that have guest violin appear on them.
* Info or discussion about different types of electric violins, gear etc.
* Who your favourite alternative violinists are? (Post video/audio!)

Note: This is NOT, for discussion of all things symphonic or "strings" in general as that sort of stuff happens in hundreds of bands the world over. This is for solo violin playing featured prominently in rock/metal/alternative bands. :)

JUDGEMENT DAY (Oakland, USA)

3 piece 'String Metal' band from the Bar Area in California. Featuring brothers Anton (Violin) and Lewis (Cello) Patzner and Jon Bush on drums these guys are my all time favourite example of violin in metal. NO guitars. Just distorted violins, and genuine rock/metal tunes with a violin/cello/drums intsrumentation.

Anton writes great melodies and creative parts, and is definitely someone I respect greatly. His style hasn't crept up too much into my NeO playing, but has definitely been a bit of an influence on my solo 'Violin Metal' project (2 violins, bass, drums).

Check them out!

http://www.myspace.com/judgementday (Listen to the song 'Flight II on their myspace! Awesome)

Video: Out of the Abyss

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap Judgement Day are pretty impressive. Cheers for the recommendation Tim. I think I'll be off to itunes to get a copy of Dark Opus when my pay goes in in an hour or two. :)

Also:

Nachtreich (Germany):

They've only put out a few demos so far, the last one didn't have that much metal in it, and the new album due soon has apparently gotten rid of the metal completely, but they're not too bad I reckon.

Emilie Autumn does quite nice gothic/industrial pop music which uses quite a lot of violin.
Big fan of Judgement Day :)

Carla Kihlstedt! In a tonne of bands but most noteable for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. She has a such a recognisable playing style and is an awesome performer (check out the onstage 'argument' in "Ambugaton!")

imo NeO should sign with The End and do a tour (in Australia, of course) with SGM and UneXpect called "Violins can be metal". That would make me extremely happy.

imo NeO should sign with The End and do a tour (in Australia, of course) with SGM and UneXpect called "Violins can be metal". That would make me extremely happy.

You never know. We definitely will be chatting to The End Records (amongst other labels) once the album is done in March. Who we sign with will really just depend who is the most passionate about our music. They would definitely be a good fit considering how diverse their roster is though. If that tour happened though... I would think it would probably be a US tour though. ;)

Mutyumu - Japanese Post Rock/Minimalist band, Ryota Taniuchi (Violin)