Alternative, Nu or Rap Metal

SunlapseVertigo said:
i wouldn't argue with people that say "nu-metal isn't metal" if the bands they describe as "nu-metal" or "nu-metallish" don't actually qualify as metal. Nu-metal is too broad a term to make conclusions. For example, Linkin Park, metal? No. Slipknot, metal? Yes (whether you like it or not.) etc, etc....

what a useless term.
Yes, some nu-metal counts as being heavy metal like Slipknot. Most of it should be considered alternative, grunge, rap, or pop or something else but some of it should be counted as metal or at least partly metal. Metallers label any popular band as nu-metal which is so very wrong. They call Nickelback nu-metal when they're just a pop rock/alternative band. Nu-metal is defined by bands that play simple metal or alternative with usually no solos and teen angsty lyrics like my girl broke up with me or something like that. Usually has some rap influence here and there. It's bands like Slipknot, Linkin Park, Korn etc etc.

EternalMetal said:
I agree, people love to hate anything in the numetal genre just because its cool to say "all numetal sucks, has no talent, and i hate it". Its just another genre. And it is also not the music that people listen to that dont know music. I listen to the heaviest of death metal and the softest of rock and i really enjoy some numetal bands. I hate some of it, but i also hate bands from every genre.

numetal is not always equal to korn. their are many other numetal bands out their that are not like korn at all (korn sucks).
You know what's lame, I know some that were really infatuated with nu-metal like Korn and Slipknot but now that their popularity is dying down they turn their back and say shit like "oh that shit is trendy" and they like the trendy bands that are around now like The Vines. Yes, I admit I loved nu-metal like Soulfly 4 years ago but at least I dont turn around and pretend I never liked any of it and go on to the new trends in music.

deadbeatbum said:
Who ever came up with the term "numetal" is probably some idiot on mtv (it wasnt called numetal when the genre started). It is really just heavy rock.

I think it was a German (shame on me) magazine or music television that coined the term. At least I think it was called Nu-Metal in Germany before anywhere else in the world.

Good post, Deadbeatbum.

Some metal bands have rappers for vocalists. It doesn't make them soft. It doesn't make them sell-outs. It makes them a metal band with a rapper for a vocalist. If you don't like it, move on.

I personally don't mind "Nu-Metal", when it includes Slipknot and Mudvayne, along with some other things, because it does have structure to it. Although, you should really try some other forum than Ultimate Metal cuz Nu-, Rap, Punk, Grunge isn't Ultimate by any stretch.

And what is spasticated?

Dude Rap, Nu, and Alternative Metal is not real metal. Its just a perversion of real metal with oversimplified guitars. Sure it might be a hell of a lot more popular than real metal but i cant say that any Nu-Metal can be classified as metal.

Why did u join this forum in the first place if u wanted to talk about Nu-Metal. If you wanna talk about that i suggest u join some other forums more open to this kind of music, cuz i personnally cant stand it and im sure there are plenty of others on this forum whot cant stand Nu-metal either.

markssocool123 said:
I bet you're one of those teenage Death Metallers, who pretends not to give a f**k.

Are you trying to say people into death metal are posers? I dont think that will be accepted here very well. Nu-metal was invented and is listened to by posers.

If there is a 'numetal' band that is actual metal, its not numetal. Its something else, metal perhaps?

i've observed that fans of "nu-metal" are mostly kids who have been terribly misinformed about what METAL really is.

they think that just because a certain band (e.g. Linkin Park) likes to scream and sound "heavy," they're metal.

it's called IGNORANCE.

now, should we the so-called "real" metal fans, insult them for being ignorant? or should we educate them so that they would know what real metal is?

now, should we the so-called "real" metal fans, insult them for being ignorant? or should we educate them so that they would know what real metal is?

There's got to be some way to do both. :D

Yes, well its unbelieveable how the education doesent hit them. Of course, we can allways blame them for not knowing the truth, since we can suppose they have heard the "numetal is not metal" before and not believed it. Now if you think there are 20 numetal kids to those who listen to metal (i dont think that many) and they all would believe it right away when you tell them a new truth and tell them good reasons why this new truth is the real truth (what makes metal etc.), there would be no one who thinks numetal is metal. If someone has not ever heard it, well....Then s/he may say "Look, i dont know everything jackass" and we answer back "Oh, sorry. It just usually is that numetal kids are stupid since they dont BELIEVE that numetal aint metal. No offence if you never heard anyone saying its not metal."

No, soon they start calling Evanescence and crap like that metal and no one is safe. This IS serious. I mean c´mon, metal is metal and when i ask for metal, i want to get fucking metal, and when im telling people about metal i dont want them to understand it as poprock, ok?

Hatebreed said:
Some of you warriors take the term Metal way too seriously.

People need to take words seriously, dude. I'd be pretty pissed off if I asked the waiter for fish, and he brought me chicken and then he stood there arguing with me over why I was being so pedantic about the term "fish".

Exactly. I don't remember the exact quote, but I read it somewhere and it goes something like this: someone who does violence to the language will probably be less reluctant to do violence to other things... of course that may be overkill if you're talking about someone who calls Limp Bizkit metal, but then again, I've always been in favor of taking things too seriously.

lord667 said:
People need to take words seriously, dude. I'd be pretty pissed off if I asked the waiter for fish, and he brought me chicken and then he stood there arguing with me over why I was being so pedantic about the term "fish".

So, with that logic, you'd be mad if you were wearing a nice pair of sneakers and someone insisted on calling them "shoes".

:lol: This thread is great.

Anyway, all this shit is figured out by the mass media. MTV may not have coined the term 'nu-metal' but they sure know how to squeeze a trend dry. The only objection I have is calling something metal when it obviously isnt. Even the term 'mainstream metal' is blasphemous. Metal is for fans of heavy, complex and powerfull music, not whining little faggots with hair styles and these so called 'emotions'.

Hatebreed said:
So, with that logic, you'd be mad if you were wearing a nice pair of sneakers and someone insisted on calling them "shoes".

That's not the same logic. A sneaker is a kind of shoe, but a fish isn't a kind of chicken, and nu-metal isn't a kind of metal.