ATH-M50s: False impressions of low-end

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Whenever I used my M50s to balance low-end in a mix I'd always find that I would remove too much. After several months of comparisons I've concluded that the low-end on these cans is rather stuffy sounding, which may prompt users to make thin-sounding mixes.

This came to light after comparing various records between these and the Opals. I think I understand now what people mean about closed cans having weird low-end.

I find as time goes on I trust these cans less and less. The midrange is very forgiving to guitar tones, and the low-end can lead to false judgments.

They're still very cool for the price, but I definitely won't be using them for any mix checking.

Just thought those impressions may be helpful for some of you who don't want to be learning these things the hard way (as I always do).

Thanks for the info Ermz, don't need new headphones ATM, but when the time comes, won't be thinking of the M50's.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of closed vs. open vs. semi-open? I'm looking into a good pair of cans and have been eyeing Beyerdynamic a lot. They seem to be quality.

-Joe

Thanks for the info Ermz, don't need new headphones ATM, but when the time comes, won't be thinking of the M50's.

They are still absolutely great headphones, you just need to be able to hear how they are affecting the sound. Keep in mind that Ermz is comparing them to a $3K set of monitors. If you've got that sort of a budget for monitoring, there are much better headphones you could get I imagine.

They are still absolutely great headphones, you just need to be able to hear how they are affecting the sound. Keep in mind that Ermz is comparing them to a $3K set of monitors. If you've got that sort of a budget for monitoring, there are much better headphones you could get I imagine.

I think like almost any monitoring method/system - be it physical monitors or cans, you have to understand their strengths and weaknesses, how they color your mix, and then adapt. As long as you understand how your monitoring solution performs, and as long as it does the things it does consistently, you can compensate and feel comfortable in the results.

I know Ermz knows his systems well and it shows in the mixes he has presented to us. Like everything else in audio technology - it's a matter of critical listening and adaptation to what you hear.

I agree with Jind and Matt. I'm just sharing my impressions, but that doesn't mean that these aren't capable cans. For the money they are still the best option I know of. I just don't think they're the best transparent monitoring option - even for checking low end. I've never been able to get it right on them, or improve upon mixes in any way that I can't with the monitors.

It's just worth noting they aren't perfect and they do embellish in ways that might make your job harder.

I would suggest looking into semi-open cans if you're wanting to check mixes. I use these primarily for pulling guitar sounds during tracking/reamping and they do a decent enough job of that.

@ Ermz:
Might provide an example of semi-open headphones you suggest to check mixes? Maybe Beyerdinamic DT880?

I'd be curious to know when semi-open are beneficial. I'd like something to check mic'd tones with and something to mix with at night/check mixes. My room is untreated at the moment.

-Joe

I find as time goes on I trust these cans less and less. The midrange is very forgiving to guitar tones, and the low-end can lead to false judgments.

I'll definitely +1 this, especially about forgiving (I'd say flattering, really) of guitar tones because of the slight mid-boost - great cans for isolation and listening though! (I really only bought them for tracking and listening for pleasure anyway, I hate mixing on cans, though I guess having a better pair to reference would be a good investment...way down the line :D)

I use my Beyerdynamic DT770Pro for checking the low end cause my main monitors (M-Audio BX5a) are pretty weak in the low end.
I got the impression so far that if it sounds good frequency-wise on DT770, it will pretty much sound good on any other system I use to compare my mixes.
Of course, my ears are not quite pro :)
I wonder how DT770 compares to ATH M50s?

I use my Beyerdynamic DT770Pro for checking the low end cause my main monitors (M-Audio BX5a) are pretty weak in the low end.
I got the impression so far that if it sounds good frequency-wise on DT770, it will pretty much sound good on any other system I use to compare my mixes.
Of course, my ears are not quite pro :)
I wonder how DT770 compares to ATH M50s?

Last month Sound on Sound had a good article/shoot-out between several levels of headphones from the major manufacturers. In category 'Mid-Priced All Rounder the DT770 Pro's were said to have a balanced tone with a mid-range hardness that becomes more noticeable at higher volumes and a low end that does go very low. They did however say that "it nevertheless presents a pretty trustworthy balance".

It is a pretty good article on the whole and it does cover headphones from very expensive to relatively inexpensive. Well worth the $1.49 or so that it costs to buy it in PDF format if you are really interested in seeing how they percieve a bunch of different headphones for tracking, mixing, and what not.

Still, you'll have to understand these cans cost 150 dollars. If they compared to the Opals, they would be like the headphones of god or something. For the price, they're a great set of cans. Also very comfy to wear.

i had the m50s for a few days....found them to sound reeally weird. traded them for beyer dt770s and never looked back. my nr1 choice as far as closed cans go, definitely.

I have the AKG K240 Studios, but I still think I'll get the ATH-M50's as a new main pair of headphones, and use the AKG's as a second reference. If anyone has tried both, could you compare? I know I can't mix at all with the K240's; I used to use them for checking the low end, but after I got the HS80M's, I haven't needed them for that either.

I do agree with the M50's being a bit stuffy sounding in the low-end. However I do use them to check details, thosse little tiny microscopic details you sometimes can't hear on monitors since they're not 1cm away from your ears, I also do tend to check the low-end with it but just for comparison purposes, don't really mix or balance the low-end with the cans, but mostly just some really fine tuning since I know how they sound after many hours of critical listening, they're not perfect but they're certainly not bad at all

I read the SoundOnSound article, and they have pretty much the same comments on ATH-M50 that Erms had.
Also my impression on DT770 Pro matches theirs which makes me really curious about Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro.
Both got great comments, but DT880 is pretty cheaper and seams to have flatter frequency response, while HD650 seams to sound amazing, but takes some getting used to a slightly accented low end which makes you mix with less bass.

Damn, now I`m GASing for DT880 and I don`t need new headphones :lol:

mother fucker!!, why couldnt you have posted this a week ago :cry:

just bought the m50s....i should kill myself

when i first got my m50s i was having issues with the low end also. Since then, I've just listened to my music collection through them, i'll still test my mixes on different headphones and speakers but I only listen to music through my m50s, even youtube. So yeah, in my case it was just a matter of getting to know them.