Pulling the trigger on the ATH m50s tomorrow

JoergieN

Jul 12, 2010
Drøbak, Norway
I've decided that since I'm a night owl, and the fact that I still either live with my parents or on base... both in completely untreated rooms, that the hm50s that I just bought have not come to much use. So I've decided to get a good set of headphones. And before people here are like "use teh search function n00b!" I would like to say that I did use the search function on this forum and from my research on this forum I've decided to buy the ATH m50s. Any objections? I want a nice set of headphones with a good low end.

I certainly don't object.

The clean, flat and far reaching low end they produce has me using them to check for problems in the low freq. that my monitors can't reproduce.

This is the only headphones I have heard that are good enough to do some mixing on(controversial opinion haha).

They are also great for casually listening to music with.

The low price is deceiving as I think that they are the best value of any audio equipment available. You get far more than what you pay for.

BH Photovideo has them for a pretty good price right now:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._ATH_M50_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html

+1 Vote for ATH M50. I tried M50, Sennheiser HD280 and AKG 240 Mk II at the shop and decided to buy M50 because the others 2 are lack of low end for my taste. If you prefer more low end, ATH M50 is exactly the one you are looking for, trust me.
It is not bad for mixing also.

I like mine, but I don´t think I would use only it when mixing. They´re a pretty different reference from what I get from the Yamaha monitors, specially when it comes to low end and vocals volume.

The low price is deceiving as I think that they are the best value of any audio equipment available. You get far more than what you pay for.

I certainly agree with this.

I recently bought (and finally sold, thank fuck) a set of headphones that are 2 to 3 times the price of the ATH-M50s, and they were utter shite. I'm talking like child's toy, pile of crap, I'd hesitate to pay $50 for it kind of turd.

Headphones are really hit and miss, and you have to really do your homework before you jump on a set, because there is some serious trash out there, at high, and deceptive price points.

Biggest issue with the ATH-M50s is that it's too easy to make something sound brittle and harsh on them, since they sound so bassy and smooth. Guitars in particular I would never balance on them.