athiest former soldier sues over religious harasment

US planned nerve gas tests on Aussies

July 06, 2008 04:03am

* US wanted nerve gas tests done on Australians
* Request caused consternation in PM's office
* 200 troops would have been sprayed with chemicals

IT'S been revealed that the US military planned to test deadly nerve gas on Australian soldiers in far north Queensland during the Cold War.

Newly declassified Defence and Prime Minister's office files show that the US was strongly pushing then prime minister Harold Holt's government in the 1960s to allow tests of two of the deadliest chemical weapons ever developed - VX and GB, better known as Sarin nerve gas.

It says the top secret plan involved allowing 200 mainly Australian combat troops to be aerially bombed and sprayed with the chemical weapons.

It's understood the Iron Range rainforest near Lockhart River in far north Queensland was the likely location for the tests.

Peter Bailey, a former senior official with Mr Holt, tells the program the request caused consternation in Canberra, and as far as he knows the tests never went ahead.

But he says planning was very advanced in the US, which wanted the operation to be kept secret because the weapons were illegal under international law.

Your government wanted to use deadly sarin gas on my countrymen, on diggers? WTF is wrong with your country?

Nothing at all!!

The USA is the worst country in the world

I hope that you honestly think that the US is the worst country in the world, because that would just be adorable.

American politics is a playground compared to a lot of the rest of the world. People need to seriously stop bitching as much as they do. Trust me, I have tons of issues with this country, but not enough to hate it. I live for myself, and the US allows me to do this. I can't really ask for more than that. Obviously I'm not saying that I can't do this elsewhere, but I'm just making a point.

Also, I'm not getting involved in this further.

Well put.

Cherko, use some sources to back up your facts when it comes to demographics and religion.

Hating people based on where they come from is absolutely stupid. I see a lot of people who use anti-American slurs to try and appear witty, but the majority of educated people that hear those comments understand how ridiculous they are. When you judge around 310 million people based on what you've seen on TV and a few skewed news websites, you need to take a serious look at yourself and wonder what qualifies you to make such a judgement.

Again, I also see a lot of Americans who make unintelligent comments about people from other parts of the world. I think it's really easy to get caught up in the whole he said/she said, they hate me/I hate them thing, but it's childish and stupid.

I can't stand how people act like America is the only country with problems. I am very proud to be American, and when I say that, people always have some stupid little comment to make. Why do you live in England if you are proud to be American? Why do you vote if you don't live there? How are you considered patriotic? As a history student, the American experience is something that I find inspiring. The United States has been around for less than three hundred years, but has a rich history built by immigrants and indigenous peoples, from all corners of the world. How is that not something to be proud of? I'm from a country where I can read what I want, say what I want, believe what I want, and express my beliefs without shame. When somebody, American or not, tries to take that away from me, I'm in every right to provoke a debate.

I'm not proud of certain events in American history. Slavery. The Trail of Tears, allowed by Present Jackson in the 1830s. Big-stick democracy. CIA-lead coup d'etats in countries like Guatemala in the 1950s -- to further American business interests. Involvement in Vietnam to prevent the spread of communism -- which failed (!) at an insanely large cost. The current war in Iraq.

To be patriotic doesn't mean that you have to be proud of everything that your country does. I don't believe in all that America is doing and all that it has done in the past, but I believe that I'm extremely fortunate to live in a country where I can not have a religion. What's going on the military clearly goes against the Constitution and, namely, the Bill of Rights. There is a huge conservative-Christian lobby in the US government, but there is also a huge portion of Americans with and without faith challenging what is going on in our society.

I could go on and on about this. However, one last point: Every country, regardless of how secular or religious in nature, has its issues. Each country has a history that includes things to be both ashamed and proud of.

I can't stand it when people insult the US and act as if their country hasn't had it's share of problems. The UK for instance. You guys set up the shah system in the Middle East and suddenly took an interest when you switched the Royal Navy from coal to oil. Conflicts in the Middle East have been going on for centuries, however British involvement has added fuel to the fire. The British Empire and "taking up the white man's burden" are nothing to be proud of. Along with the bad exists the good, but being patriotic or at least proud to be whatever you are entails taking to the good with the bad.

Hmm, to actually get back along the lines of what this thread was out to discuss, I agree with Krig. I've not been to war, but I have always assumed that the bonds formed in battle outweigh all other bonds. Being a soldier is about laying your life down for the man or woman next to you, regardless of faith or gender or sexual orientation. Anybody willing to make the ultimate sacrifice is worthy of respect. I don't see how somebody who believes in their country should be singled out. I can't get behind a bunch of God-fearing soldiers fighting to spread the "good" Word and attempting to proselytize. I can, however, support armed forces that are patriotic and faithful to their country.

@Edit: For using the "you're" rather than "your". Bleh.

I hope that you honestly think that the US is the worst country in the world, because that would just be adorable.

C'mon mate I don't blame every yank, but your government who your oldies elected wanted to drop nerve gas on our diggers

Please explain to me why I shouldn't be pissed off about that

For fuck sake they wanted to drop nerve gas on Australians:mad:

Actually, all the world isn't as overly religious as America. Around 80% of the swedish population do not believe in God, though many of them are merely agnostics or just don't care. Even though Sweden is especially secular the figures are similar in several other european countries.

Poland is ridiculously religious. Behemoth is banned from playing there indefinitely. America is bad, but other countries are just as bad if not worse.

C'mon mate I don't blame every yank, but your government who your oldies elected wanted to drop nerve gas on our diggers

We thought it was still a prison and wanted to initiate a form of large-scale capital punishment.

:cool: Sorry if that was tasteless. It was meant as an insult towards my country.

Are you sure that's legit? I mean, that sounds too crazy to be true. But if it is true, then the people who were in favor of it are pretty stupid and deserve death.

Which doesn't really make it any less terrible.

But yeah, lots of insane shit was flying around during those years. It was a very paranoid time.

I'm just saying, it was to be expected. All countries do lots of crazy shit when involved in crazy shit as we were.

Are you sure that's legit? I mean, that sounds too crazy to be true. But if it is true, then the people who were in favor of it are pretty stupid and deserve death.

Yeah man it's been all in the news here for like the past couple of days I can't believe you yanks haven't heard about it

Just goes to show that they don't tell you everything

it also makes me wonder what other fucked up shit your government had/has in mind for my country

And no they don't deserve the death penalty because capital punishment is actually wrong

Anyway here's a link to the Fairfax newspaper The Age which has the same article

http://news.theage.com.au/national/us-planned-to-test-nerve-gas-on-aussies-20080706-32e7.html

Death penalty may be wrong, but you're also being a fucking moron who thinks the US is the worst country in the world just because 40 whatever years ago we ALMOST nerve gassed TWO-HUNDRED people. What the fuck?

Hmmmm. Almost coherent sentences.

I don't think there's a big American conspiracy against Australia. If anything, we'd probably bomb the Ugg boot factory.

Death penalty may be wrong, but you're also being a fucking moron who thinks the US is the worst country in the world just because 40 whatever years ago we ALMOST nerve gassed TWO-HUNDRED people. What the fuck?

No would have happily nerve gassed 200 Australian if my government hadn't have step up and said NO

Man my grandfather was in the army at that time serving in FNQ Townsville I think who knows if your government had of had it's way I might not be here

Let me put it this way if it were my government who wanted to drop nerve gas on American troopers of any generation wouldn't that piss you off

No would have happily nerve gassed 200 Australian if my government hadn't have step up and said NO

Man my grandfather was in the army at that time serving in FNQ Townsville I think who knows if your government had of had it's way I might not be here

Let me put it this way if it were my government who wanted to drop nerve gas on American troopers of any generation wouldn't that piss you off

Holding forty year old grudges is a bit silly. The equivalent of that here would be Americans still angry at the Japanese for bombing Pearl Harbor. We've gotten over it and we can see beyond the actions of a government entangled in a war.

Quite frankly, if the Australian government contemplated/considered dropping nerve gas on American soldiers forty years ago, I wouldn't be wasting my time holding a grudge. As a history student, I'd be interested in learning the who/why/when/how and what can be learned from the past. As I've stated previously, I'm proud of where I come from. I read into a lot of things, simply because the past interests me. Investigate the past and delve into it, but by all means, realize that you can't blame the government or a group of people decades later for something that was only considered and didn't happen.

This is just as silly as people of African American descent who are still holding grudges against caucasian Americans over slavery -- many of who, in both racial groups, weren't even in the US from 1600 - 1866!

I've done research which delved into government and public records. The government will take any measure to protect its interests, regardless of whether or not its actions may affect innocent lives. There are so many stories and incidents floating around about the American government even considering bombing groups of its own people to protect secrets and military information.

Well put.

Cherko, use some sources to back up your facts when it comes to demographics and religion.

Hating people based on where they come from is absolutely stupid. I see a lot of people who use anti-American slurs to try and appear witty, but the majority of educated people that hear those comments understand how ridiculous they are. When you judge around 310 million people based on what you've seen on TV and a few skewed news websites, you need to take a serious look at yourself and wonder what qualifies you to make such a judgement.

Again, I also see a lot of Americans who make unintelligent comments about people from other parts of the world. I think it's really easy to get caught up in the whole he said/she said, they hate me/I hate them thing, but it's childish and stupid.

I can't stand how people act like America is the only country with problems. I am very proud to be American, and when I say that, people always have some stupid little comment to make. Why do you live in England if you are proud to be American? Why do you vote if you don't live there? How are you considered patriotic? As a history student, the American experience is something that I find inspiring. The United States has been around for less than three hundred years, but has a rich history built by immigrants and indigenous peoples, from all corners of the world. How is that not something to be proud of? I'm from a country where I can read what I want, say what I want, believe what I want, and express my beliefs without shame. When somebody, American or not, tries to take that away from me, I'm in every right to provoke a debate.

I'm not proud of certain events in American history. Slavery. The Trail of Tears, allowed by Present Jackson in the 1830s. Big-stick democracy. CIA-lead coup d'etats in countries like Guatemala in the 1950s -- to further American business interests. Involvement in Vietnam to prevent the spread of communism -- which failed (!) at an insanely large cost. The current war in Iraq.

To be patriotic doesn't mean that you have to be proud of everything that you're country does. I don't believe in all that America is doing and all that it has done in the past, but I believe that I'm extremely fortunate to live in a country where I can not have a religion. What's going on the military clearly goes against the Constitution and, namely, the Bill of Rights. There is a huge conservative-Christian lobby in the US government, but there is also a huge portion of Americans with and without faith challenging what is going on in our society.

I could go on and on about this. However, one last point: Every country, regardless of how secular or religious in nature, has its issues. Each country has a history that includes things to be both ashamed and proud of.

I can't stand it when people insult the US and act as if their country hasn't had it's share of problems. The UK for instance. You guys set up the shah system in the Middle East and suddenly took an interest when you switched the Royal Navy from coal to oil. Conflicts in the Middle East have been going on for centuries, however British involvement has added fuel to the fire. The British Empire and "taking up the white man's burden" are nothing to be proud of. Along with the bad exists the good, but being patriotic or at least proud to be whatever you are entails taking to the good with the bad.

Hmm, to actually get back along the lines of what this thread was out to discuss, I agree with Krig. I've not been to war, but I have always assumed that the bonds formed in battle outweigh all other bonds. Being a soldier is about laying your life down for the man or woman next to you, regardless of faith or gender or sexual orientation. Anybody willing to make the ultimate sacrifice is worthy of respect. I don't see how somebody who believes in their country should be singled out. I can't get behind a bunch of God-fearing soldiers fighting to spread the "good" Word and attempting to proselytize. I can, however, support armed forces that are patriotic and faithful to their country.

I don't normally quote huge posts but this deserved it. Unfortunately, the people who need to read these kind of things the most are the same people who are least likely to read them.

I hate what this country has done in recent history, and thus I hate the current administration. I have a right to express my hatred. The problem hence is that people assume that since I hate these aspects of the country, that I hate everything else about it, such as its principles, contributions to humanity, and natural beauty. These are the same assumptions that Barack Obama has to deal with when people question his patriotism. He has condemned this country's recent actions, laments its current standing in the global community, and has criticized the management of a number of government institutions. And then stupid people go even further to call him a terrorist sympathizer because of this, and the fact that he wants to act like a civilized human being and actually talk face to face with Iran's president, instead of maintaining an apish grudge.

My fault is that I made an overly simple statement before I thought how many assumptions people would make based on it. It was a mistake, and there is no excuse.

That said, I whole-heartedly agree that many other nations not only have problem of their own, they themselves are/were guilty of historical acts that helped create the global problems we have today. I just feel that, based on my knowledge of history, the US has played the greatest role in shaping what the world is today, and it's not a perfect world at all.

As for the original topic, this highlights my fear that the fundamental principles that I proudly employ, the first amendment for heaven's sakes, is being continually threatened by the same people who have sworn to protect these principles. Recent history has seen these freedoms slowly wither away. At this point, free speech is still safe, but for how long, since freedom of religion is on the front lines of this battle, and with the populous majority on the side of theocracy, I have reason to feel a wee bit concerned.

Ze Boy, let it go.

About the original topic: Good for him. No one deserves to be treated like that, especially when they have volunteered to be in the military.

About America: As an American who has lived abroad (Canada), I think America has many problems and things I dislike. However it also allows it's citizens to live very freely and allows them to strive for the life they want. Problems need to be solved, but I think they can and will be solved. Look 25 years back and we were mired in the Cold War, Reagan was racking up a giant deficit among other nefarious dealings and gays were being blamed for AIDS. Now despite Bush's best efforts I think we are better off. America may seem like a big baddy rife with problems, but many other countries have far worse problems and are without the political means of improving as easily as the USA.

@sao: Welcome back and :kickass: for History students!