Atlanta show, 8/7/07

Well the show was last night and it was amazing! The guys just blew me away with their intensity and precision. Without a doubt the best concert I have ever been to in my life. The set list was exactly the same as previously mentioned in other threads and even knowing what was coming couldn't prepare me for the explosion that was Symphony X! Let the kings of progressive metal rule forever!!

Well the show was last night and it was amazing! The guys just blew me away with their intensity and precision. Without a doubt the best concert I have ever been to in my life. The set list was exactly the same as previously mentioned in other threads and even knowing what was coming couldn't prepare me for the explosion that was Symphony X! Let the kings of progressive metal rule forever!!

Agreed 100%.

The show was amazing and I am happy to say after seeing them for the first time...I won't ever miss them coming around here if I can help it.

REVIEW

About the show? Honestly? The bands before hand were all "meh" to me except Sanctity. The first two opening bands were just...opening and then came Echoes of Eternity. I was really getting into the music pretty hardcore 'cause the guitars were nice and chunky...and then the singer came out. To keep it nice, I'll just say I liked the other musicians.

Sanctity was pretty bad ass. Not completely my style of music with their Metallica/Trivium sound but it was entertaining nonetheless. The front man knew what was up also, which made it pleasant for me. Being very humble, telling people to pick up folks that fall during moshing (they were quite hard enough), and just an all around cool dude.

When Symphony X FINALLY came out (which took close to 20 minutes) I was really pumped up until I noticed that the fuckin' intro tape for Oculus was skipping. :ill: I was pissed, whether or not it was their tape or the sound at this place, that was bad lol. During the first song or two you could tell Russell seemed to be angry at the techs/sound guys because he'd look to the side and angrily yell something. I'm sure he got over it though because the whole night he was drinking straight Cap'n Morgans on stage and an occasional swig of water lol. Obviously the sound wasn't the best at first but it got better finally when they were about halfway done with Paradise Lost which was amazing live. The main song I was there for was of course, The Walls of Babylon, and they delivered it quite well. It was a little slower than it is on the album but it was still hard as shit. - funny story about this song is when he goes to sing "Skies of Red-Winged Thunder" line...I was praying he'd be able to hit the note and when it came he took it down and growled it so I was QUITE disappointed and since I was right by the stage I gave a very disappointed look to Russell and he looked straight at me and gave a "Okay, I get it" face, which was awesome...because the next time he sang it he fuckin' blew that shit out as high as ever and I screamed for my life givin' him those crazy patrick swayze eyes w/ the horns.

Highlight of Russell for the night was him thanking the fans and asking whether or not he was really in America b/c he didn't think it would ever be like this after a five year break and just thanked the fans for all the support from the U.S., which he referred to as his home. And he repeatedly told us how amazed, pleased, and grateful he was that so many showed up because however long ago at Progpower it was a "weak" show and he was stoked that we were all there and said we blew that show the "fuck" away.

The highlight of the show, before the Odyssey was during Sea of Lies where around the 2nd chorus the band stopped playing and Russell was doing the whole "you guys do it loud etc" and we did, which he obviously hated because he dropped the mic between his legs like a limp dick lol and when he did the mic broke!!! This made the whole night better because he dropped it and started yelling without the mic on the very tip of the stage "Alright, Fuck this mic!! I wanna hear all you fuckin' dudes give me all that you got...including all the moms, dads, titties, asses etc..."
Long story short, he kept yelling without the mic and had us screaming soooo loud three or four times getting him pumped up as hell (still without a mic...just mad yelling) and they broke back into the ending of the song when the mic got fixed backstage. This made my night.

...after we all chanted "Odyssey" to get them back out for the encore, they played it blah blah blah which was amazing. Until during the first, slow part where Russell sings I heard Romeo screw up the time on the guitar and Russell got off on his vocals lol he looked over at Romeo and they both made quite hilarious faces like "Oops, lol" Other than that the rest of the show was great. Although, it seemed not alot of people know the words to the whole Odyssey except me and only a few more. I didn't care though, it was all mind blowing

Back to the quality of sound, it was okay the whole time, not great but bearable. The venue sucked a dick, so I feel safe saying that was the reason...and I'm sure at a nice place they sound 10x better. Could barely hear Pinella over the rest of the band, as usual...and during Lepond's amazing Sea of Lies solo at the beginning not NEARLY enough people gave him the credit he deserved...I was disappointed...theres much more to this band than Allen and Romeo.

Finally...after the show I waited about an hour before any of the guys came outside of their bus and started signing shit and talking to the fans. Russell was cool to talk to, very typical rock star dude w/ beer in hand and a cigar in mouth. Pretty cool dude in general for sure, a bit ego'd out but I expected it seeing how good he is. However I'd love to just chill after a show one day where he's not bombarded and talk for a bit so he'd be a little more personable. When the other band members came out I went up to Romeo asking him why they dropped King of Terrors and his reply was simply, "dude, hehe, theres just too much new shit now, you know?" I agreed because I definitely understand...even though I'd drop fuckin' Smoke and Mirrors in a heartbeat lol...anyways. Romeo was fucking cool as shit to talk to. Very normal and personable. Some dude handed Romeo his cell phone and was like, here man it's my friend he didn't get to make it 'cause he had work" and I said "dude, that's fuckin weak...we all did" which is funny cause Romeo said "Yeah dude, wtf, that's fuckin' weak bro" on the phone...which was freakin' hilarious. Very, very cool chilled dude. Would love to chat w/ him sometime again for sure. On to Lepond...who was more gracious than any member of any band I have met to this day. Very quiet and VERY humble and polite. I really enjoyed just telling him how incredible he was and thanking him for getting out on stage and still putting on a great show. The dude thanked me like 4 times, he was amazing...really awesome guy. Rullo seemed to be in a rush, or maybe it's just his style. Very quick with words and shy it seems..funny though, but I still had to get his Sig. :D. Pinella was just like Romeo, except talked more b/c he wasn't as swamped with people around him. I talked with him for about 5 minutes just 'cause I didn't want to be annoying as some other people were being (people were definitely asking and taking up everyone else's time to get like 25 items signed...was QUITE annoying..) It was cool though because even though there were people like that Pinella was like "here dude, we've been talking this guy can wait..you've been kind enough to" which was badass.

So, after talking briefly with all of the members, I left very happy with an autographed poster signed by all members. Very pleased indeedy.

Only real dissapointed thing about the show was that there was only Large and XL shirts for sale at the booth, which sucked. Nice variety of shirts though for sure...all old and new. No posters for sale though that I saw...I just stole mine off the venue's wall :D

Questions/Comments? I had a blast, great show, best I have ever seen by a longshot.

-whew-

hahaha....definitely a really good sum of the entire show. I'm still kinda pissed that me and buddy had to leave the show right after to make the long trek back to south florida. How bout that "balls deep in a baby" song by that crappy opening band. That was probably the worst thing i've seen in my entire life. Thank god symphony came out and blew the doors off the place. I'm with ya on being totally pissed about the Occulus track skipping constantly, very lame. One of the finer points for me on the evening was inferno simply because the only live version i've seen of it was on the amazingly bad gigantour dvd and their performance was pretty bad. They more than made up for it in ATL delivering a kick ass performance of it. God willing they will all be back soon and i get a chance to chill with them and get some stuff autographed.

Hell yeah...I'd love to see 'em again after their leg in Europe w/ DT. He asked if we'd like to have them back on their 4th leg.. but he probably does that every show lol..

So we just have to wait and hope they come back soon.

I went to the show at Masquerade. At 51 years old, I'm a bit older than the other attendees, and a female to boot, but SymX is my favorite band of all time and I would have went even if everyone else was ten years old. I showed up with seven college kids and never had a better time. It was sooo hot, both outside and inside, and all the jumping around and screaming didn't help matters, not to mention nowhere to sit but the filthy floor. But I got plenty of sit-down time while the first five bands played. Jeez. The only band I could stomach was the one with the female vocalist. But while sitting down, Russell Allen walked right in front of me and proceeded to the merch table. No one approached him and I was stunned. So I made my move and got to talk to him. I couldn't hang around afterwards; had a several-hour drive home, so this was my only shot. The kids I went down with freaked when I told them. I shook RA's hand and turned into a 12 year old girl. Sorry. Involuntary reaction. The guy is my hero. Vocally he blows every other singer away by far. The wimpy opera guy singers just don't cut it for me. This was the first concert of my entire life; yep, never been to one before. I know the venue was hot, nasty, crowded, ill-kept, and there were issues with the sound, but as soon as SX hit the stage, all was forgiven. I just wanted to see and hear them and I was not disappointed. RA was sweat-soaked almost immediately and I felt bad for the band playing so hard in that heat. But they are certainly pros and didn't gripe or whine at all. I cannot understand for the life of me how Dream Theater can be more popular than Symphony X in the USA. No offense to DT fans; my sons like DT better than SX, but they take after their dad. :lol: I think maybe they raised SX up a few notches after they saw the show though. I have certainly tried to preach the gospel of Allen to them enough. I was disppointed that I couldn't hear Pinella very well when he played his scorching solos, and the bass was just not there. I couldn't "feel" it at all. Even Romeo's solos weren't loud enough for me, but the venue just couldn't handle the sound quality and acoustics that SX needs to really blow it out. Bottom line; conditions stank, heat was oppressive, traffic blew, but SX took away all the pain. Let's all pray that the wait for the next CD is not so long. They just keep getting better every time. All hail the X! :worship:

Nah, being a dick would be asking a musician why he didn't play an album filler when he just busted his ass, not to mention deliver a 20+ minute encore.

OR!!! It could be trying to be friendly in return, not complaining ...but asking a question to make conversation?

..so you can go ahead and keep thinking your right, its cool.

I would think calling a great song a filler from an incredible band being a dick as well...but then again obviously I am wrong.

-sigh-

p.s. - Seeing how you're very new...I would keep the smartass remarks to a minimum...and if you so choose to act in that manner...don't call a song from all of our favorite band "filler", especially if you are even trying to defend the hard working guitarist that happened to write the song.. Thanks.

It sucks thinking when I wrote the review I was just trying to friendly to my fellow S-X'ers and I get told I asked a "stupid question" from some random.

Brb...gonna go listen to the filler and look at my autographed poster.

OR!!! It could be trying to be friendly in return, not complaining ...but asking a question to make conversation?

..so you can go ahead and keep thinking your right, its cool.

I would think calling a great song a filler from an incredible band being a dick as well...but then again obviously I am wrong.

-sigh-

p.s. - Seeing how you're very new...I would keep the smartass remarks to a minimum...and if you so choose to act in that manner...don't call a song from all of our favorite band "filler", especially if you are even trying to defend the hard working guitarist that happened to write the song.. Thanks.

It sucks thinking when I wrote the review I was just trying to friendly to my fellow S-X'ers and I get told I asked a "stupid question" from some random.

Brb...gonna go listen to the filler and look at my autographed poster.

None of your justifications makes the question any less stupid, and does nothing to change the image of an ungrateful fan.

I've been a member of these forums for almost two years. Thanks for the heads up, but there is far worse banter, and real trolling going on in quite a few of these threads.

Of course I don't view that paticular song as "filler", as I don't view any SX song as filler. I was just trying to put it in words that you would understand to try to get it through your head what your question must have sounded like to Romeo.

Well nobody can ever know what he was thinking and when I met him the look on his face was anything but shocked, annoyed, or upset.

In fact when I asked the question he went into further conversation with me about other songs of theirs so maybe he is used to questions like that and took it as it was, a simple polite question.

..and even if he thought the question was stupid he was kind enough to NOT say it and appreciated the fact that I enjoyed the show and out of curiosity asked a simple question. But I see he must be different from some others who have obvious difference in opinions of what a stupid question is.

Just watched an FFXIII video trailer and I must say it looks ... different.

It's turning all real-time, which isn't what FF is all about.

When I played XII it was OK...but it was too much like an MMORPG...I might as well have played FFXI instead because the game is literally nothing but a grind with story thrown in lol.

Very disappointing...but maybe it'll turn out to be amazing?!

:headbang:

was it FFXIII or FF versus XIII (i think that's what the other one is being called). The trailer for the latter looks badass (though I'm not digging the music at all). check it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gSYawSLHH-M

The trailer for XIII didn't do as much for me, but I haven't looked into that one so much. Either way, it'll be a good while before I get a PS3 (if I even do) so it's not something I'm getting excited about.

Word... yah I'm getting a PS3 in a few days (finally) so I can watch my HD movies and stuff.

FFXIII AND Vs. both look OK to me just because it's ALL in real time combat and the FF series isn't what it's all about. I want traditional side combat...taking turns. BUT it could be good in the end...ya never know! :loco:

Yeah, like I said, I'm not going to judge until I play them. I loved real time battle rpgs like Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore, but I've always favored theh turn based system that all the final fantasys up through X had. Did you read somewhere than Vs. was going to be real time or have you seen in-game footage? (I knew XIII was real-time, just wasn't sure about vs.)

I just checked up on it and from what I understand, XIII and Vs. both take place in the same universe or whatever, but are completely unrelated stories and (not sure on this one) completely unrelated characters.