Atlanta Sonata Arctica Role Call

Nightmare1z said:
I still don't get why the Masquerade thinks this is going to be a small show. Was the Manowar/Rhapsody show not a pretty large crowd at the Masquerade? Yeah - lots of Manowar fans - but many of them knew Rhapsody and it was an awesome show.

I'm confused as to who gave them the idea it'll have no people.

I don't know either. Wehn we opened up for them at Jaxx last April, it was PACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, PACKKKKKKKKKKKKEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had reports from they went through Jaxx last month that they were again, indeed, PACKED! So why would Atlanta fair any worse when that is the official city of ProgPower USA??!!?!?!?

Mosquito said:
LOL...I've never bought a PP shirt...so I don't have one to wear...

How about my Amorphis - Disment Of Soul shirt? :p

You'll be THAT guy wearing a t-shirt from a band that's from the same COUNTRY as the headliner. Lame.

Slide across the border and wear a Therion shirt instead. :)

Rick Pierpont said:
I had reports from they went through Jaxx last month that they were again, indeed, PACKED! So why would Atlanta fair any worse when that is the official city of ProgPower USA??!!?!?!?

There's a reason why progpower usa is held in Atlanta. The airport here is a center for international travel, thus making it easier to fly in the bands.

Rick Pierpont said:
I don't know either. Wehn we opened up for them at Jaxx last April, it was PACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, PACKKKKKKKKKKKKEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think peoples conceptions of Atlanta are horribly skewed. Atlanta is NOT a metal town. There are probably about 30 Atlantians at the show, everyone else is from outside of Atlanta. Atlanta wasn't chosen as a metal town for PP, it was chosen because Glenn lives very close to the city and Atlanta is a major international airport, thus making it easier for foreigners to get to the show and get the fuck out! :p

Atlanta SUCKS for metal. Especially the crowd at the shows I've been to...jesus...

edit: to give you an indication of the crappiness, at Amorphis/Into Eternity there were about 100 people total (not counting the bands or the people that worked there). Now if you pull in some stupid emo-core band or some death metal band, you'll get a pretty good turnout. However, I question most Atlantian's "love" of Children of Bodom. To me, most of them are like "THIS IS EVIL SHIT...IM GONNA MOSH CAUSE ITS COOL HEE HEE", thus failing to see why Bodom is good. Losers.

Worst of all is going to a show and seeing all the loser emo kids walking around. Unngh.

Mosquito said:
I think peoples conceptions of Atlanta are horribly skewed. Atlanta is NOT a metal town. There are probably about 30 Atlantians at the show, everyone else is from outside of Atlanta. Atlanta wasn't chosen as a metal town for PP, it was chosen because Glenn lives very close to the city and Atlanta is a major international airport, thus making it easier for foreigners to get to the show and get the fuck out! :p

And the venue. Don't forget the venue; Earthlink Live was the only venue Glenn contacted who would give him the time of day (and a decent price for two days). Plus, it fuckin' rules. Except for the Unlighted Stairs of Death.

Atlanta SUCKS for metal. Especially the crowd at the shows I've been to...jesus...

Right. This is not a metal town. The media here have no idea what hard rock is (let alone metal) and, at the end of the day, would much rather rave about Kanye West's latest party, or who showed up at Jermaine Dupri's latest shindig. I can't remember the last time the "Music Insider" column in the Urinal-Constipation actually covered a non- R&B or hip-hop artist.

edit: to give you an indication of the crappiness, at Amorphis/Into Eternity there were about 100 people total (not counting the bands or the people that worked there). Now if you pull in some stupid emo-core band or some death metal band, you'll get a pretty good turnout.

True. Not always a great turnout, but death- and black-metal does draw.

However, I question most Atlantian's "love" of Children of Bodom. To me, most of them are like "THIS IS EVIL SHIT...IM GONNA MOSH CAUSE ITS COOL HEE HEE", thus failing to see why Bodom is good. Losers.

Hmmm, not so sure about that. There were kids (14-16) in the front row who were alll about CoB and their musicianship, and there were a lot of similar fans out in the audience. We legitimately get a lot of CoB requests at WREKage. Sometimes we can even play them without attempting to edit them.

Worst of all is going to a show and seeing all the loser emo kids walking around. Unngh.

True. :puke:

And to give a sampler to prove how bad Atlanta can be...here's the Masquerade's description of Sonata Arctica (Paul, oh yes...i went there)..

from www.masq.com
"Sonata Arctica was born in 1996 on the edge of the world, in northern Finish town of Kemi. One of the most artistic bands in Nordic Metal, Sonata Artica combine the sound of Black and Death Metal with dueling synthesizers, adding a layer of depth unseen in Euro Metal."

Nuff said

Oh and about the CoB people, I do not doubt that there are many who appreciate them beyond the 'ooo its fast and they scream/growl!', but I would say over half the crowd would not be in that position.

A few weeks ago, I emailed the Masquerade about their description for Sonata Arctica and they told me that they would change it, but obviously nothing has been done. Oh well. It's probably because, like a few posters said, black and death metal does much better in Atlanta than power metal so they want people to think it's a black/death show.

Pellaz said:
This exceeds Tim's official prediction of 30 S.A. fans by about 5. :headbang:

30? I think the opening acts have taken care of that many tickets, and I'm guessing nobody from the board bought tickets from either band...although, as I re-read your post, I guess they wouldn't actually count in Tim's prediction of "S.A. fans" :lol: (but it would at least count in terms of the turnout).

Didn't over half the ticket sales at Children of Bodom occur same day/at the door? Maybe we'll see a similar turn of events (especially since everybody knows they don't have to worry about the show selling out).

I'll definitely be there, even though I'm really not a Sonata Arctica fan myself. All I have by them is the "Songs of Silence" live disc, and it doesn't really do anything for me...but I realize they've completed (I think) three studio recordings since the live disc; hopefully the more recent material will be more to my liking (and I'm assuming they will be impressive live, even if they're not my favorite band).

Yeah, Tim was excluding fans of the opening bands in his estimate. Devane dropped by WREKage last night and were quite cool, and had some tickets to give away on the air.

Tim said last night that he told the Masquerade when they booked the show that it would do "about 400" paid. We'll see.

225 advance pre-sale through the box-office as of yesterday, I heard.

See y'all in a few hours! :headbang:

Pellaz said:
225 advance pre-sale through the box-office as of yesterday, I heard.

See y'all in a few hours! :headbang:

That sounds a little more like it! I'm still hoping for a decent "paid at the door" tally, as well, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Thanks for having the Devane guys in the studio again; WREKage rules :headbang:

See you at the show

This is why I love living right near Atlanta. For ProgPower I can do the same thing. 6:10 now - doors open at 7:00 pm, getting ready to leave.

It's like the show starts when I get there. :)

Hope for a good show. Not looking forward to Darky Asylum, Devane sounds pretty good, and SA will rule!

Cya all there!

i was last thursday in Sonata Arctica Concert in San Antonio Texas .. the show was great... but the attendance was poor.. around 80 people.. (10 from Mexico) the Venue hideus...... but the band was great.... but they looks so tired for the tour....
in my msn space link below there are some pics.... :rocks: