Atrox first reviews

Oct 25, 2002
Italy
www.code666.net
astro-zombie

I thought I?d seen and heard every thing before but an Orgasm in digi-pack is definitely a new experience. This lunatic bunch of Norwegians has carried out the almost impossible task of blending death metal, jazz and Kate Bush! No, really I?m not kidding you.
There are obvious comparisons to Madder Mortem to be made with Atrox, but where Madder Mortem seem to have lost their way of late Atrox seem to be powering on full steam ahead on this their fifth studio release. Monika the vocalist can really sing and has a fresh full sound all of her own and there?s no heavy accent so the songs really are in English.
The album has one of the most disturbing covers that I have ever witnessed, designed to induce delirium filled nightmares and the back has a brilliant interpretation of alternative ?looks? for the band.
One of the best things about ?Orgasm? (apart from the contented smile on your face) is that there appears to be no ego?s in the band and as such it?s a very complete record for the band.
I don?t like jazz but if it can influence metal this well I might just go out and start tracking some down. Atrox are the ultimate listening experience for the individual in you.

http://www.sicknet.org

Ostras!. Esto es para quedarse pegado y escucharlo todo con atención. Atrox ha conseguido una vez más sorprender a todo el mundo con un nuevo trabajo, muy bueno, y para la gente que no los haya escuchado nunca, raro al menos.

¿Os podeis imaginar unas rítmicas eclécticas tipo Meshuggah, Symphony X o incluso Third Moon, con una voz femenina a lo The 3rd and The Mortal, muy jazzera, histriónica a veces, pero en todo momento dominante y sorpresiva? Como poco merece la pena escucharlo con atención. Los músicos son excelentes sin excepción, y aunque las guitarras, tanto las distorsionadas como las límpias, soporten más peso que el resto, todos ellos forman un monolítico musical que se rompe con la introducción de la voz, que como ya he dicho es increíble, llegando en momentos a dudar de cómo diablos han podido crear esas líneas vocales de semejante complicación, puesto que en el mismo tema se mezclan la fusión jazz, con partes esquizofrénicas y otras más gótico/doom. Y por si acaso alguien echa de menos un bajista que meta detalles de calidad, escuchad entre riff y riff de guitarra no distorsionada.

¿Eres abiert@ de mente?. Lo sabrás tras escuchar este magnífico disco.

Michele/Xyphias said:
http://www.sicknet.org

Ostras!. Esto es para quedarse pegado y escucharlo todo con atención. Atrox ha conseguido una vez más sorprender a todo el mundo con un nuevo trabajo, muy bueno, y para la gente que no los haya escuchado nunca, raro al menos.

¿Os podeis imaginar unas rítmicas eclécticas tipo Meshuggah, Symphony X o incluso Third Moon, con una voz femenina a lo The 3rd and The Mortal, muy jazzera, histriónica a veces, pero en todo momento dominante y sorpresiva? Como poco merece la pena escucharlo con atención. Los músicos son excelentes sin excepción, y aunque las guitarras, tanto las distorsionadas como las límpias, soporten más peso que el resto, todos ellos forman un monolítico musical que se rompe con la introducción de la voz, que como ya he dicho es increíble, llegando en momentos a dudar de cómo diablos han podido crear esas líneas vocales de semejante complicación, puesto que en el mismo tema se mezclan la fusión jazz, con partes esquizofrénicas y otras más gótico/doom. Y por si acaso alguien echa de menos un bajista que meta detalles de calidad, escuchad entre riff y riff de guitarra no distorsionada.

¿Eres abiert@ de mente?. Lo sabrás tras escuchar este magnífico disco.
9,25/10 is the rating ;)

Damn!. This is for shocking you and carefully listen to it. Atrox, once again, surprised all the people with their new work, so good, and for the ones that never listened to them, at least, strange…

Can you imagine eclectic rhythms as Messhuggah, Symphony X or even Third Moon, with a female voice as The 3rd and The Mortal, so jazzy, histrionic sometimes, but dominant always?. This must be listened to. All the musicians without exception are brilliant, even when guitars, distorted as well as clear ones, hangs almost all the weight of the music getting a musical monolith that is broken with introduction of voice, that as I said is incredible, wondering about how they imagined and wrote those so complicated vocal patterns, because in the same song they mix jazz like parts, with another schizophrenic and gothic/doom ones. And if someone missed a good bass player able to give details to a dead music, listen to this one among non-distorted guitar riffing.

Are you open-minded?. You´ll know when listen to this superb work.

http://www.metalstorm.ee
Well, well? what an album we have here!
Faithful to its tradition of innovation and avanguardism, Code666 publish the 4th
album of this Norwegian band that begun in 1988 by playing a death-doom kind of metal, and that, through a long journey of evolution (1 EP, 4 full length albums and a line-up completely changed) presents now itself with the problematic label of Progressive Skizo Metal.
What is that? Well, the recipe for the Atrox sound could be that: 250gr of Meshuggah, 200gr of The Gathering, 25gr of atmospheric electronic synths; mix with a teaspoon of jazz arrangements and rithmics. At the end, add fantasy and madness as much as you want.

Apart from those shitty tentatives of mine to be funny, I believe that the music proposed by Atrox is one of the most original and innovative crossover between different metal styles that I?ve ever heard. If possible a new (sub)genre in itself.

Since you find female vocals you could say that it?s gothic metal, but I have to say that this is not.
You can hear a track beginning with a heavy stopped rhythmic guitar riff in typical thrash/Meshuggah style, perfectly realized with a syncopated timing, and you could expect to hear a growling vocal, but?no, the riff stops and a jazz bass arrangement introduces us the voice of the talented singer Monika, that performs weird, variegated vocal lines, over the slow passages as well over the heaviest parts.
Forget of her Norwegian colleague like Liv Kristine of Vibeke Stene and their operatic heavenly voices, Monika?s voice is definitely more jazz oriented, but not less beautiful. Her tone is more like Anneke Van Giersbergen just to make an example, but surely uses her voice in a more varied, played way, a mad journey up and down through the octaves.
Just a few times, in some songs, you can hear a male vocalist that duets with Monika, but it?s perhaps useless since her voice doesn?t really needs of any support.

We almost have no solo guitar at all, I find that in this album the bass guitar is important and audible as much as the rhythmic guitar: now used for a jazz flavored riff now synchronized with the guitar for a heavy thrash riff, it always works very well, giving a "full" sound to the whole album.

This alternation of ?thrashy?, heavily deconstructed parts with slow ?jazzy? ones, in which the song is totally based on the voice of Monika or on an elaborated bass riffing, makes this album not immediately ?easylistening? (try to hear the second part of the last track), but if you listen it more and more you?ll begin to fuckin? like that style! The timing of the rhythmic section is something simply great, a time is never repeated too long and it?s always of a damned complexity, sometimes almost difficult to follow.

A sound that?s not too soft, to appeal those who likes an heavy riffing, but enough to have atmospheric and ethereal moments that put in an unexpected change.
Something of really new, definitely virtuously played and with a vein of madness that makes the result really intriguing, 50 minutes of album, but you?ll hardly feel bored to listen it all.

A positive notation deserves the artwork, (in a 6-panel digipack for the final version) with a very good painting realized by? Moinka Edvardsen, the singer (!)
Well done Atrox. That?s one of the most original and interesting ?female vocal? metal album I?ve ever heard. Go on with the evolution.

http://www.urkraft.cjb.net/

ATROX - ORGASM 7/10

Just a glance upon the cover art of Atrox?s latest release tells the listener there is something different about this band. The various misshapen figures represent the music incredibly well, as it too is very deformed, misshaped and most of all schizophrenic. It?s Goth metal but very different from anything I?ve heard in the genre. Atrox must have gone through incredible birth-pains to conceive this musical monstrosity. Being from Norway it comes as a surprise to no one that an angel-voiced female fronts the band. In this particular case one Monika who does her job in an extraordinary fashion; what an amazing voice! Do they grow female Goth singers on trees in Norway!? Anyway, as stated this is an extremely diverse album, ranging from sombre Goth to jazzy and progressive structures with a healthy dose of metal as base. They tie the bag up in a great way and make all the various influences come together right. A strong album and an absolute must have for fans of progressive rock and metal!

blooddawn.de
Atrox ? Orgasm

Die norwegisch Band ATROX ist schon ein Kapitel für sich. Gegründet 1988, damals noch unter dem Namen SUFFOCATION, machte die Band, die seit Beginn an weibliche Vocals bevorzugt, zuerst Death Metal, wie auch auf dem ersten Demo ?Silence The Echoes? (1997) und dem Debütalbum ?Mesmerized? (1997). Auf den beiden folgenden CDs von 1999 und 2001 unter dem Label Seasons Of Mist verschrieben sie sich eher dem Gothic Metal und bekamen sehr positive Kritiken. Die Band wurde damals als originellste Combo der Gegenwart betitelt. Bei dem mir vorliegenden Werk, das von vielen Seiten als progressiver schizophrener Metal bezeichnet wird, werden Band wie VOIVOD und THE GATHERING als Einflüsse genannt. Ob die Band qualitativ mit diesen Größen mithalten kann, soll sich in den nächsten 50 Minuten herausstellen.
Sehr seltsame Klänge bieten sich dem Hörer, eine gewisse Verträumtheit ist durch die Bank vorhanden und Sängerin Monika brilliert mit ihrer Stimme. Die Heaviness jedoch ist auch durchgehend vorhanden. Die Schlagzeugarbeit von Drummer Tor Arne kann sich ebenfalls sehen lassen, zum Teil erinnert er an DREAM THEATER-Trommler Mike Portnoy.
Die Parallelen zu THE GATHERING zum Beispiel sind nicht von der Hand zu weisen. Zwar ist die Musik etwas zu hart für heutige Stücke der Niederländer, doch die Stimme von der ATROX-Sängerin ähnelt zweifelsohne der von Anneke Van Giersbergen.
Der zweite Song, ?Flesh City?, geht zwar mit ähnlich schnellem Tempo los wie der erste, doch ist hier ein Wechselgesang zwischen Monika und Bassist Peter auszumachen. Der ebenso liebliche wie kraftvolle Frauengesang dominiert zwar den männlichen, doch ist dieses Duett durchaus gelungen. Gegen Ende des Stückes sind fernöstliche Klänge zu vernehmen, zum einen von der Gitarre, zum anderen durch den nun wieder einheitlich weiblichen Gesang. ?Heartquake? beginnt mit akustischer Gitarre und Basslinien, gepaart mit etwas jazzigem Schlagzeug und dem wiederum zarten Gesang der Frontfrau. Dieser Song bleibt durchweg ruhig, was ein ruhiges Flair herbeizaubert. Dieser Zauber endet jedoch mit ?Burning Bridges?, der zwar ruhig beginnt, sich aber nach kurzer Spielzeit durchaus als Rocker herausstellt. Trotzdem bleibt der Gesang weich und scheint fast zu zerbrechen, wäre da nicht die eine oder andere Verschnaufpause der Instrumente. Die progressive Schiene wird hier wieder klar deutlich und wird begünstigt durch den abermaligen Wechselgesang, wobei der weibliche fast als Kreischen erscheint. Auch das fünfte Lied schlägt wieder in die verträumte Schiene, begünstigt durch den abermals verträumten Gesang und die mit leichten Effekten belegten Gitarren. Zeitweise wird man aus diesem Traum jedoch durch ?normale? verzerrte Klampfen wieder herausgerissen, um gegen Ende wieder in diese ruhige Welt einzutauchen. Dieses bewährte Strickmuster, nur mit etwas extremeren Wechseln, wird auch bei ?Tentacles? eingesetzt. Hierzu gesellen sich vereinzelte Rhythmuswechsel und Synkopen, um den Hörer weiter zu verwirren. Ein ungewöhnlich eingängiges Stück hingegen ist ?Secondhand Traumas?, es wird von dem schnellen Schlagzeug und den kräftigen Vocals dominiert. Hierzu gesellen sich gut abgestimmte Gitarren gespickt mit durchaus hervorzuhebenden Bass-Linien. Auch der achte und letzte Track ?Pre-Sense? beginnt extrem rockig und groovig, jedoch wird der Song später wieder ziemlich vertrackt, auch der sanfte Gesang trägt seinen Teil dazu bei. Jedoch tut das dem Rock-Faktor des Liedes keinen Abbruch; dieses Stück wie auch die ganze Platte hat die Bezeichnung Progressive Schizo Metal auf jeden Fall verdient !!!
Auf der Homepage der Band gibt es von den ersten drei full-length-CDs insgesamt sieben Tracks zum kostenlosen Download, ansonsten ist die Seite zwar nicht auf dem neusten Stand, aber dennoch durchaus informativ.
3/5

ablazine
Se définissant eux-mêmes comme un groupe de Schizo Metal norvégien, aucune description ne pourrait mieux convenir à un groupe comme ATROX. Imaginez une voix digne de Kate Bush, sur un fond musical lourd et syncopé à la MESHUGGAH, et des structures aussi aléatoires et improvisées qu'un concert de jazz.

Perturbant, envoûtant, cet album part dans tous les sens, laissant l'auditeur seul, perdu et désespérément à la recherche de compréhension.

Inutile d'en dire plus! ATROX vous épouvantera adorablement!

lordsodmetal.nl
Atrox - Orgasm
Code 666

Wilf: Atrox began its history in 1998 as Suffocation. That name however is synonymous for a death metal legend since the early nineties so the name was changed to Atrox. If that really was the reason for changing the name I am not sure yet but it is not unlikely. There have been the necessary line-up changes too though, even resulting in a style-change from doom/death to a more progressive form of female vocalist driven metal. The vocals of Monika are playful, sometimes reminiscent of Diamanda Galas and sometimes more like Anneke van Giersbergen (The Gathering). A run-of-the-mill gothic vocalist she is definitely not, that is clear enough.

Their latest album ?Orgasm? they have made it critics even more impossible to shove them into the gothic-genre where they were once pushed. The music has more to do with Meshuggah with female vocals than acts like Tristania. This already was apparent on their previous album ?Terrestrials? be it with a bit more variety. The rhythms are more complex and a lot tighter making the music very tense. The guitar-rhythms often are monotone and repetitive witch can demand some energy from the listener. This is also a question of listening to the album more often because the album opens up a bit more after each listen session. The melodies mostly are in the vocals, which are very dynamic and versatile. Both Monika and bass-player Peter have potential.

Although the link with bands like Madder Mortem is easily made one can say Atrox takes the idea much further on ?Orgasm? rhythmically, vocally and metalwise. Nonetheless the disc will appeal to gothic metalfans and the more progressive metalfans alike.

Rating: 83/100

www.harm.us
When listening to this release, the first word that comes to mind is one that I don't seem to write much lately...original! Not that its "super-groundbreaking" or anything, but they take parts and pieces from many areas and mesh them together into one creative and innovative piece.

What they take together is part Meshuggah riffing, female gothic vocals (almost operatic at points actually), and progressive technical metal and jazz influences. If you haven't guessed, the sound is quite avard-garde. But it is very classy and no part is so over-powering that it drowns out the rest. There is a nice variety as the band effectively goes from the Meshuggah-like riffing to a very atmospheric, mellow sound. Monika's vocals have a very soothing power to them and aren't as accessible as say, Lacuna Coil or the Gathering. They fit the music to a tee really. The band is definitely an acquired taste, upon first listen I asked myself "what the hell is this" but the music really opens up upon each listen.

I don't usually comment too much on artwork in my reviews but I'm going to make an exception here. The cover on this thing is incredible! Very creepy and odd, but at the same sense, if you look at it while listening to the music, it fits really well. It seems most covers convey the same type of style, but this really stands out.

To me, this isn't really the type of album you listen to every day. I definitely have to be in the right mood to appreciate it, but when I do listen, its quite striking and powerful. Recommended to those looking for a "breath of fresh air" in the realm of metal.

Standout Tracks: Flesh city, Tentacles

http://www.musik.terrorverlag.de
Der Wahnsinn wird gesellschaftsfähig. Immer verworrenere musikalische Äußerungen finden ihren Weg in die Regale und der farblose Haufen der Nu-Metaller hat die Phobie zum Prinzip erhoben - und durch ihren Erfolg an der Kasse gleich noch zum Politikum. Wenn deswegen im Presseinfo von Schizophrenie und Inkongruenz die Rede ist, möchte man sich zunächst abwenden: Geht?s denn auch mal normal?

Nein, offensichtlich nicht. Doch obwohl die Vision der Band äußerst kompromisslos umgesetzt wurde, sind einem ATROX seltsam sympathisch. Das kommt vor allem dadurch, dass sie sich niemals in endlosen Improvisationen verlieren, sondern trotz eines progressiven Einschlags Songs schreiben, die ein Anfang und ein Ende haben, auch wenn niemals im Vornherein klar ist, was sich dazwischen abspielt. Zudem, das beweist nicht nur das Backcover, hat die Gruppe Humor und lässt auch schon mal Unfertiges oder Unvollkommenes als solches stehen: Perfektion ist hier nicht das Stichwort.
Es geht vielmehr um Andeutung und Umdeutung. Andeutung, weil die Musik niemals konkret wird, Ideen werden angerissen, aber niemals bis zu Ende verfolgt, einzelne Textpassagen scheinen schlüssig, der Gesamtkontext bleibt enigmatisch. Umdeutung, weil die Themen und Motive immer wieder aufs neue aufgegriffen und abgewandelt werden, bis alles im Kopf zusammenfließt zu einem einzigen großen Song. Das außergewöhnliche Talent der Band besteht dabei darin, den Hörer nicht im Kreis, sondern auf einer Möbiusschleife zu führen: Wiedererkennung statt Wiederholung.

Werden die Leute jetzt schreiend auf die Strassen rennen und Journalisten und Kritiker aller Welten Länder über dieses Werk stundenlange öffentliche Debatten führen? Es wird ein seliger Traum bleiben - die wahre Paranoia wird geflüstert, nicht geschrien. Das ist irgendwie auch ganz gut so: Nach der demonstrativen Nabelschau ist es durchaus beruhigend, dass der Wahnsinn sich wieder ins Private zurückzieht.
tocafi

(06.10.2003)