Attila's Pantera Cover Band

I can almost guarantee that Jeff is/was a big fan of Dimebag's playing as well.

the first time I heard the main Seven Tongues of God riff it reminded me of Shedding Skin.

Just about every metalhead I know was into Pantera at some point in their life - Dimebag will always be known as one of the true groundbreaking guitarists in metal. The singer in this cover band isn't too bad, and Attila does a good job too. It looks like the crowd is pretty big, so hopefully he pulls a paycheck from that while waiting to see what happens with everything else. I like the kid and he earned my respect on the WD and NM tours.

Just about every metalhead I know was into Pantera at some point in their life - Dimebag will always be known as one of the true groundbreaking guitarists in metal.

See, this is what I am talking about.

What ground, exactly, did Diamond break? (other than the floor he collapsed on after he got shot) lol bad joke, sorry.

He wrote really catchy, really heavy riffs influenced by southern rock for pop radio. That's where they broke the ground. Pantera was probably the heaviest mainstream band at the time and the fact that they had a number 1 album on the Top 40 charts was a big, big deal at the time...especially because Metallica had already softened themselves up a bit with the black album and such.

Unless you were one of the very, very few who was listening to underground death metal at the time, it just didn't get any heavier than Pantera. In 1994 Pantera was the heaviest band in the universe and they were being played on the radio. Metal in 1994 didn't have nearly the exposure it has today, what with the grunge explosion and nu metal and such. Today you can throw a rock in any direction and hit someone who listens to Morbid Angel, but back then underground metal fans were very rare.

Well I think by the time Cowboys From Hell came out his guitar tone and guitar solos were pretty fuckin' epic...like Van Halen and Judas Priest on steroids. His riffs were highly memorable and had a very articulate bluesy/southern feel to them that wasn't done better. Some people can't articulate like that on guitar...you thought the band was from Texas just by hearing it. Plus his vibrato and bends had a ton of feel to it...I think for metal, especially mainstream metal he was groundbreaking. He was like the Van Halen from Hell...while the other metal lead guitarists were still either thrash metal soloists, typical guitar shredders like marty friedman or yngwie malmsteen or death metal which at the time was similar to the thrash metal guitar solos (if you don't count Death, Cynic etc.).

Yeah pretty much this. Dimebag had such a warm touch to his playing, and it was really strange to hear because you were surrounded by shredders and pseudo shredders either sweeping, wanking, or stuck in the minor pentatonic box. No one wrote riffs like he did nor did they play them like he did; they just sounded incredibly huge and fat and it was the first time anyone had ever done that. Thrash metal at the time was sounding very tinny with bands like Megadeth and Slayer, and although Metallica fattened up their sound with the black album (which is actually a really, really good album and has awesome guitar production), they sacrificed aggression and attitude in favor for songs more radio-friendly. It wasn't bad, it was just different.

However, Pantera went in the opposite direction and tore down all the walls and basically invented their own style of metal, albeit borrowing heavily from bands like Exhorder.

Think about it this way: every single guitarist who plays in an aggressive heavy metal band in the last 15 years is ripping their sound off of Pantera. No metal guitarist wants Megadeth's or Slayer's or Metallica's sound; they want Pantera's sound.

I think I can say I'm over my Dimebag hate. The first few years after his death was SO annoying because everywhere you went there were people fawning all over him and dedicating songs to him left and right and such nonsense. The fans actually made me hate Pantera for about 2 years with their incessant bellyaching.

Now that the time has passed, it's nice to revisit some of their stuff and get all nostalgic.

Damage Plan was fucking terrible, though.

He wrote really catchy, really heavy riffs influenced by southern rock for pop radio. That's where they broke the ground. Pantera was probably the heaviest mainstream band at the time and the fact that they had a number 1 album on the Top 40 charts was a big, big deal at the time...especially because Metallica had already softened themselves up a bit with the black album and such.

Unless you were one of the very, very few who was listening to underground death metal at the time, it just didn't get any heavier than Pantera. In 1994 Pantera was the heaviest band in the universe and they were being played on the radio. Metal in 1994 didn't have nearly the exposure it has today, what with the grunge explosion and nu metal and such. Today you can throw a rock in any direction and hit someone who listens to Morbid Angel, but back then underground metal fans were very rare.
You just made me feel really old. I miss those days when I actually gave a shit about metal :cry:

Yeah me too. I remember wearing that shit like a badge, and as silly and stupid as it sounds, it was actually really healthy for me. It taught me to follow my own path and not worry about what others thought. Nothing else in life impacted me the way Metallica, AIC, Pantera, Megadeth, and Slayer did back in the 90's...nothing else except for maybe the military helped me to stand on my own two feet and be completely self-reliant.

I sometimes wonder if I'm still a "metalhead". Yes, I still listen to mostly metal, but it's usually a bunch of post X-type metal like 40 Watt Sun (Thanks Max!) or some other obscure, genre-blurring band. I find myself just listening to everything I always listened to when I want to listen to metal: the big four, Pantera, death metal, black metal, etc. It all came from the 90's, and that's why I'll always believe that the 90's was the best decade for music. For the past year or so I've been on a REALLY big grunge kick, listening to everything from AIC to Soundgarden to Pearl Jam to Nirvana to Toadies to Sponge and the like.

Honestly, mainstream metal hasn't done anything interesting since Pantera, really. Every time I play with my AIC cover band, Them Boners, I feel like a kid again and it's the only place where I'm really happy playing music. Not even Skylab gives me that feeling anymore.

I respectively disagree about Pantera being the 'heaviest band on the planet' in 1994. They might have been catchy, but that's about it. It seems that that's nostalgia talking or maybe you just weren't listening to proper metal back at that time. Not a knock on you DW - nothing personal - but there were far heavier bands. Take Slayer for example, for a mainstream metal band that was heavier, but in the deeper recesses of the underground bands like Emperor, Darkthrone, Testament, In Flames, Napalm Death, Sodom, Pestilence and Vader all released QUALITY albums in 1994. Much heavier in every sense, easily. Oh and I'm one of those here who is pushing 30 and I don't like Pantera. I used to, but it was a phase for me. A high school phase, really, in my case.

I'm also with DW on that one. Heavy isn't about how low you're tuned, how fast you play, and whatnot. I still think Politics of Ecstasy is the heaviest album ever recorded.

Anyway, another thing I loved about Dime was his guitar tone. Very recognizable. And he's probably the only big name metal guitarist I can think of that did it on a solid state amp.

Everyone gives Damageplan shit, and I understand because half of it was generic metalcore, but if you listen to the album, Blink of An Eye, Soul Bleed, and a couple of others were really good songs, with a great deal of emotion. Soul Bleed sounds like it could easily fit on a Pantera album.

I respectively disagree about Pantera being the 'heaviest band on the planet' in 1994. They might have been catchy, but that's about it. It seems that that's nostalgia talking or maybe you just weren't listening to proper metal back at that time. Not a knock on you DW - nothing personal - but there were far heavier bands. Take Slayer for example, for a mainstream metal band that was heavier, but in the deeper recesses of the underground bands like Emperor, Darkthrone, Testament, In Flames, Napalm Death, Sodom, Pestilence and Vader all released QUALITY albums in 1994. Much heavier in every sense, easily. Oh and I'm one of those here who is pushing 30 and I don't like Pantera. I used to, but it was a phase for me. A high school phase, really, in my case.

You're absolutely right, but for everyone not paying attention to the underground, Pantera was the heaviest band on the planet in 1994. Slayer released Divine Intervention which was a great album, but it didn't come close to the aggression of FBD. Pantera was never an underground band, that's the point. They were a mainstream band that was extremely heavy at the time in respect to other bands. Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Cannibal Corpse, and Morbid Angel were probably heavier, but they weren't selling platinum albums, either. Euronymous was being stabbed and churches were being burned by these teenagers. Sure, they were heavier, but they weren't selling any albums like Pantera was and they weren't reaching the number of people Pantera was reaching.

If you compare how heavy Pantera was to the heaviness of black and death metal, it wasn't that different then. Take away the imagery and spookiness of the genres, and Pantera wasn't that much different than your average death metal band. I mean, is God of Emptiness or Where the Slime Live or Symbolic really that much heavier than Slaughtered from Pantera, especially the BRIDGE to that song? Possibly the heaviest riff ever written, that one is...and it's only in drop D. The only other band that I can think of that compares to that riff is probably Nile, and they're tuned down to drop A.

Of course now we have an overabundance of bands and the eternal wank fest of who's faster/heavier/uglier/more brutal and it has just become silly. The music has suffered and no one can write songs anymore, only riffs and solos mashed together.

I have this talk with my friend all the time. He loves Pantera. I love Dime. Anyone that says he's overrated is speaking to the amount of people, not the praise itself. Because it's totally accurate to say that he broke new ground, was an insanely excellent player, created his own style and beyond all that was one of the nicest dudes not just in metal, but music. He deserves the verbal blowies based on his total lack of ego alone.

That said, I can't listen to Pantera anymore. I hate Phils vocals, I hate everything spawned by him and I hate a lot of the nonsense he spewed while out of his mind on heroine. He's also a really ncie guy now, though. I'd get a beer with him. I'd NEVER listen to his records.