Attn: Kiuas fans...

Stand Undefeated

Constant Lurker
Apr 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I wanna do a small little survery here, as I thought it would be interesting to know what fellow Kiuas fans answers are...

What are your OTHER favorite bands?
Ensiferum
Wuthering Heights
Turisas
Elvenking
Eluveitie
Amorphis (newer stuff, believe it or not)
Sonata Arctica
Raintime
Suidakra
Adagio
Moonlight Agony
Hibria

(no particular order)

What OTHER bands got you into the metal scene and around when?

Well I listened to metal when I was in high school, but that was like the Pantera era... I didn't really get into "euro" metal when I was introduced to In Flames back in 2002 and it started from there. Other bands that got me kick started at that time were Soilwork, Norther, Children of Bodom and Sonata Arctica.

How and when did you get into Kiuas, and what sets Kiuas above and beyond those other guys?

I actually stumbled upon Kiuas a couple years ago searching for finnish metal on google, read a review of the band that looked promising... then popped in "kiuas" on youtube and watched "Winter In June" and was blown away right there. Enough said.

To be short and sweet... I've just have never heard anything so powerful all around... the amazing drumming, guitar riffs & melodies, vocals & lyrics, epicness from the keys & violin (when in use)... everything is just RIGHT.

To bandmembers of Kiuas: I'd like to have some feedback on your take on our tastes... like any of the bands, know them personally, toured with them, want to tour with them... etc.

Favorite Bands:
KIUAS!
Kamelot
Turisas
Moonsorrow
Borknagar
Amon Amarth
Ensiferum
Amorphis (nearly all their material)
Nightwish
Therion
Primordial
...to name a few

As of late I'm really getting into Hollenthon and Obsidian Gate, and I only recently discovered HIBRIA! Fucking awesome power metal.

I can't honestly remember what band introduced me to metal. Metallica, probably, and then I went heavier from there.

What I love about Kiuas:
I love bands who break the mold and push the envelope. I love to hear old bands mature, and I love to hear new bands create new sounds. Kiuas has done this fantastically, I think. I love the blend of power metal with tenets of more extreme styles. The blend of harsh and clean vocals (I love how Ilja can go from gorgeously clean to ruthlessly harsh and nasty vocal sounds), the use of blast beats, and the very aggressive/death metal riffing all combine to create what is Kiuas. You could never confuse them with another band. Definitely some of the best metal around today.

Oh yes, and I first discovered Kiuas on a metal thread that is now long dead, unfortunately. There was a thread titled "What song would you want playing as you rode into battle?" Someone suggested Kiuas, "Warrior Soul." I went and found the song, and I've been hooked ever since.

Metal:Blind Guardian, Elvenking, Scar Symmetry, Sonata Arctica, Angra, Symphony X, Sentenced, Ulver, Vintersorg, Solefald, Kamelot, Edguy, Enslaved, Turisas
Non-metal: Tom Waits, AFI, Beastie Boys, Decemberists, Silverchair, Hopesfall, Katie Melua, One Block Radius

i need to stop

Blind Guardian would probably be the first metal band that got me interested in the metal scene back in 2002, maybe. I heard their song "Lord of the Rings" and then got Nightfall in Middle-Earth, which is still in my top five favorite albums of all time. If I wanted to look back a little further, I could venture to say that Faith No More was the first "metal" band I got into in a big way, but they were so much more diverse than just metal, and they didn't really lead me into the metal scene I know and love today.

How and when did you get into Kiuas, and what sets Kiuas above and beyond those other guys?
I got into Kiuas right when they got signed to Spinefarm records. I used to host a radio show back in college, and we were always looking for new bands and music to play, so we'd scour metal label pages for new bands. Well, we came across the clip of Warrior Soul, and it was basically the catchiest thing I had ever heard. From there, I proceeded to order The Spirit of Ukko and it was just perfect. It blended all my favorite metal genres (power, folk, prog, black) into the perfect meaty combination. Then I aqcuired every single song ever recorded by the group. The rest is history.

First post since October 2007. Hi, guys!

Sonata Arctica, Elvenking, Dragonland, Turisas, and Skyclad. I could probably think of more, but those were the first off my head.

The first 'metal' song I ever remember hearing was Kalmah's "Dance of the Water" in the beginning of 2002 after getting digital cable (oooh, new technology) and they had a metal channel - channel 510. I was hooked, I watched it all the time/had it in the background when doing other stuff. From there, I branched out and found Sonata Arctica and I've been listening to power metal for the last six years.

This is why I'm posting. Sir Adam Fiske introduced to Kiuas right when they came out. . .I don't remember if it was via his radio show or by sending me the album (I forget which came first), but I've been hooked ever since. I don't really post here anymore, but I've been listening to the new stuff a lot recently and decided to venture back :)
We set out on a journey to get all the rare EPs and everything and Mr. Fiske and I have been fanboys since then.

Blind Guardian, Ensiferum, Emperor, Hibria, Rhapsody, Aquaria, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, Spawn of Possession, Origin, Atheist, Nokturnal Mortum, Temnozor, Bal Sagoth, Skyclad, Arkona, Angra, Wolves in the Throne Room, Wintersun, Windir, Symphony X, any many many more!

Non-metal?
Chick Corea, Fall of Troy, Evergreen Terrace, Dave Brubeck, Stan Rogers, Disturbed,The Arrogant Worms, Circle Takes the Square, Thursday, several others.

When I was just leaving middle school I was into the whole Linkin Park, Disturbed and Taproot, the whole Nu-metal and hard rock thing. I listened to some metal and I couldn't quite get into it because everyone was showing me stuff from the 80's, which I hated because the production made me cringe, and lots of the stuff was growling which I wasn't into yet.

When I got to high school I discovered some metalcore acts that I liked, and then soon after that I found Blind Guardian, which probably changed my life. After discovering Blind Guardian, Helloween and Rhapsody I probably listened to Power metal exclusively for a full year, before discovering viking metal and folk metal, which then got me into more extreme acts. 4 years later, and here I am.

In 2005 several months after the release of Spirit of Ukko, a British friend of mine sent me the song 'Warrior Soul' online. I was immediately hooked, and he then sent me the rest of the album. When I discovered that the whole album was made of gold material, I promptly went to the Kiuas website and bought the Spirit of Ukko, and one of their old shirt with just the logo on the front. I've been with them ever since. (I'd like to mention that the Kiuas shirt was the second band shirt I ever bought, in my now-huge collection)

What attracted me to them? When I heard 'Warrior Soul' I was hooked by the ballsy riffage and killer shred soloing, but the epic keyboarding and intense drumming made for a great backup, and the heroic vocals sealed the deal. One of the best 'Heroic' power metal songs ever. The rest of the album was still power metal, but it was so varied! Each song was different and took influence from different corners of music, I heard folk/viking metal some places, blues in others, death metal and all sorts of other cool stuff. Plus, the pinch harmonics usage made me happy. It was like the band could play anything, and decided to mix all these elements into a vat with a power metal base and serve it up to the metal fans. Mmmm, Kiuas stew.

I didn't like Reformation as much, I thought that the music tried to be a bit more sophisticated and more neo-classical and that took away some of the magic. It was still fucking solid though. 'The New Dark Age' is fucking ridiculous, and I love every second of it. Best release this year so far.

Edguy
Avantasia
Ensiferum
Turisas
Alestorm
Korpiklaani
Blind Guardian
Firewind
Dream Evil
Dragonforce
Hammerfall
Freedom Call
Sonata Arctica
Suidakra
Agalloch
Rhapsody of Fire
Symphony X
Testament
Helloween
Kamelot

In 2004, I moved to university and my randomly-assigned housemate was heavily into Blind Guardian, Helloween Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce and Hammerfall. Those are the five bands that started it all. Then I discovered Tobias Sammet, which added another eighty or so bands to my list (ok, so four ¬_¬). My tastes pretty much carried on in that direction, picking up bands like Freedom Call, Dream Evil and Dragonland along the way.

Then I went to Bloodstock '07, and found Kiuas, Korpiklaani (and through them Ensiferum and Turisas) and Firewind.

Bloodstock '07. They were incredible. Looking back, they probably weren't *that* much better than the other "9/10" or "10/10" performances there (Freedom Call, Dream Evil, Korpiklaani, Nevermore), but I'd never heard of them before, couldn't even pronounce their name, and they were just incredible. So that's where my fascination started. Two words: Warrior Soul (although now that I've heard songs like 'Across The Snows' and 'No More Sleep For Me', 'Warrior Soul' doesn't seem so special :p).

Wintersun
Children of Bodom
Norther
Ensiferum
Sinergy
Kalmah
Nightrage
Arsis
(no particular order)

The first metal band i liked and still love were Metallica. First heard European/Power metal back on 2005 and Children of Bodom's 'Follow the reaper'

Erm, only heard of them when they were announced as the Support for Children of Bodom at the London astoria Gig back in march, looked them up on myspace. i loved what i heard and they were great at the gig.

To bandmembers of Kiuas: i'd like to know what Ilja thought of London's ales, as me and a couple of mates had a photo with him just before he left ;)

Iced Earth
Children of bodom
In Flames
Amorphis
Dark Tranquillity
Insomnium
Wintersun
Arch Enemy
Ensiferum
Norther
Catamenia
Einherjer
Eluveitie
Turisas
Kalmah
Mors Principium Est

and many more bands, but some of these I prefer the older stuff. In Flames, Children of Bodom, and Norther I prefer the older stuff. Norther is the only one of those that I really dont like the newer stuff, but I LOVE there first couple of cds. Amorphis I love there older stuff the best Especually Tales from the Thousand lakes, but there newest cd was Great. Best thing they have come out with in a Long time, and Wintersun....I just dont know how much longer I can wait for there new cd, but im going to keep waiting and ill be buying it the minute it comes out :D . The rest of the bands I pretty much loved anything that they have released and hopefully they will keep coming out with Great music.

I love metal and ive been listening to metal since I can remember, but I got into Metal the most when I started listening to Iced Earth, In Flames, and Children of Bodom about 7 years ago Which is why those three bands remain my favorite bands

actually...I just recently got into them. Im constantly looking for new music, and I dont remember how I found them...Think that I heard them on Last.fm and I loved them so I started looking more into them, and I think that they are great, but Still currently looking for a place around me where I can buy there cds.

To bandmembers of Kiuas: Keep up the good music, and im looking forward to seeing you at one of your concerts

FinalFatalForce, we def have similar tastes in music... I see you live in the US... try to grab the Kiuas CD's on half.com. I got Spirit of Ukko for pretty cheap there!

Mägo De Oz
Hantaoma
Sonata Arctica
Ensiferum
Ari Koivunen
Slartibartfass
Eluveitie
Kalmah
Týr

I started listenning Metal (5 years ago when I was 13), with Korn, SOAD & cie :lol:, then I had several periods listenning in turn about all kinds of Metal, now I'm in my period Folk, Viking, Pagan, etc ^^

Maybe one year ago, a friend of mine (whose taste of music was the same of mine) send me the clip of Winter In June and a video of Bleeding Strings, so I fell in love with these songs, and all the others when I bought the albums :)

To bandmembers of Kiuas: Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir ? (I joke :p)

What are your OTHER favorite metal bands?
Slayer
Metallica
Symphony X
Evile
Wuthering Heights
Sepultura
Iron Maiden
Blind Guardian

(no particular order)

I first got into metal right around the time "...and Justice For All" came out by Metallica. Then i moved on to Slayer, Sepultura, etc.

I literally just got into Kiuas this morning!! I was recommended the band in a thread in the recommendations forum....lol. Their sound is just what I've been looking for... epic music with monster riffs and killer vocals!

Anberlin
Arch Enemy
Avenged Sevenfold
Blind Guardian
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kalmah
Rise Against
Strung Out

That's kinda rough but it'll do.

First listened to Rock and Metal when I was a kid...my Dad loves Black Sabbath and Skid Row (among other bands) and I liked them too. Only seriously got into Metal around last year when I got more into music (which was mostly Rock) and Metal just...took over :headbang:

I got into Firewind and saw they were playing with Kiuas in the UK so I decided to download a Kiuas album, and I was blown away. I then bought all their albums, saw them live, bought t-shirts, etc :D.

Why I like them so much is because they're so unique and the music is so high quality. I really have grown to not be able to enjoy any generic bands anymore - Kiuas are like a breath of fresh air. There isn't one aspect of their music I don't love; everything is just so great :worship:.

To bandmembers of Kiuas: Don't stop, you rule.

dont even want to attempt this

First listened to Rock and Metal when I was a kid. Slowly i began to evolve from their on, extreme metal and so on..

Through the spirit of Ukko. that album blew me away, warrior soul in particular. I love bands like Kiuas, who manage to blend various styles and influences but still cannot be classified as anything other then PM

To bandmembers of Kiuas: Don't stop

Symphony X
Pain of Salvation
Queensryche
Devin Townsend (Project, Band etc)
Ensiferum
Ayreon
Queen
Shadow Gallery
Kamelot
Lost Horizon
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Sonata Arctica
Dream Theater
Blind Guardian

(pretty rough order)

In my last 2 years of highschool (2006/2007).
I got into a couple of John Petrucci solo works (namely Glasgow Kiss and Damage Control). Those got me into Dream Theater.
One day I talked to a mate and told him that I really like DT, but the vocalist (Labrie) could get to me at times, so he recommended Symphony X.
I thought they were decent at first, but half a year later (~september '07) I just fell in love with them, and I'd say throughout my life on average, they'd be my favourite band.
I can't remember precisely who I branched out to from SymX- probably metal 'grandfathers' like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, and I listened to a lot more prog and power metal, falling in love with Queensryche and a couple of Lost Horizon albums.
I basically started with prog metal (which, along with prog-power, would be my favourite genre of music) and branched out into power/prog-power, heavy metal, folk metal, and the odd thrash and melodic death metal bands.

a)How and when did you get into Kiuas, and
b)what sets Kiuas above and beyond those other guys?

a>Roughly 2 years ago, I was watching a 'Heavy Metal Frog' video on youtube- comedic anti-metalcore/rap/hiphop videos- and this guy (DwarvenDwarf) puts metal songs at the ends of his videos.
I heard Through the Ice Age, and listened to it tens of times on youtube and just fell in love with it. I didn't listen to much more Kiuas for a while.
Roughly a year later, I fell in love with 'And the North Star Cried'- can't remember why, I believe it was after watching the same video and listening to more Kiuas. I listened to that tens of times, and roughly 6-10 months later (up to a few weeks ago) I listened to the vast majority of the Kiuas discography and just fell in love with it all.

b> Depends on who "those other guys" are.
If you mean the above bands mentioned, I'm not going to answer- I don't like comparing my favourite bands with other favourite bands. There are some small things I like with a couple of bands over others- but at the end of the day, the reason I listen to Kiuas ahead of every other artist on earth minus the 20 or 30 other favourites I often listen to, would be their unique sound.
They're heavier and more progressive than your typical power metal band, and they're more melodic than your typical extreme metal band.
Their double-kick drumming isn't spammed like it is in many other metal bands (not that it's a bad thing, unless you don't want to listen to double-kicks for 2 hours straight), the synth sounds and parts not only sound great, but also work musically in context incredibly well. The bass and guitars work well hand in hand, with really thick, beautifully syncopated riffs, plus there are amazing solos- and perhaps most of all, Ilja's voice just oozes with personality and is very unique- I love it all.

Turisas
Ensiferum
Moonsorrow
Viikate
Stam1na
Lamb of God
Mokoma
Rage Against the Machine
Iron Maiden
Faint Silence
Dropkick Murphy's
Deep Purple

First one was actually quite legendary: Deep Purple. My father took me to this one gig. After first song, I was shocked: The feeling of it was something I never felt before. After that, there was no turning back. Of course I've found new great bands, but Deep Purple has always been there. Thanks to my father and DP

ah, Kiuas. I was hanging out with couple of my friends and someone put "Spirit of Ukko" to the record player. Pure magic, had same feeling when first heard DP, maybe even better, don't know actually. Since then, I've tried to get everyone I know to get know Kiuas. Älkää jätkät muuttako tyyliänne! Hail Crom!

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Dream Theater
Opeth
Nevermore
Zero Hour
Megadeth
Black Sabbath
Cynic
and the list goes on, there's just too many

As far as non-metal bands go I obviously love a lot the more raunchier rock 'n' roll bands like G'n'R, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Danzig and so forth. Other than all the above I also enjoy lighter stuff like Coldplay, The Verve and especially Simon & Garfunkel.

The basic stuff. Priest, Maiden and the four horsemen on thrash metal. It happened when I was around thirteen or something.

I actually got into Kiuas only a couple of years ago when I saw them live opening for Judas Priest in Helsinki. I was instantly blown away by their awesomeness. \../

Stratovarius
Children of Bodom
Pain
Tiamat partly
Insomnium

Well, I listened Metallica when I was at school (someone of my friends gave me their cd...) Then I found Stratovarius at.... maybe 2000..... If I want to listen doom - I listen Tiamat, if mdm - Insomnium....

I found them on the one of social networks, I just listen music - and.... aahhh - what a awesome track, who is it? Kiuas? what is it?...
Warrior Soul and Across The Snows are my favourite songs now)))))))))))))))))))

To bandmembers of Kiuas:
Do you think up to record track completely in finnish?? and..... welcome to Russia!

Nightwish
Slayer
Metallica
Megadeth
Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend
Sonata Arctica
Korpiklaani
Finntroll
Iron Maiden
Blind Guardian
Kotiteollisuus
Iced Earth
Alestorm

In no particular order, that is.

My buddy Colin showed me Metallica. It blew my mind, lightly, and I was obsessed for a little bit. My first experience with European metal was Blind Guardian, and then Nightwish. Nightwish made me realize how amazing Finnish music was, and then my buddy Joe showed me more Finnish bands.

I was talking to my friend David about Finnish music, and he mentioned this band that he didn't know how to pronounce. He wrote it down, and I looked it up. My mind was blown! Usually he suggested some really shitty bands, but not this one! I went home and bought some off iTunes shortly after.

Kiuas has very talented players, and they are all very talented musicians. Their music is like an orgasm to the ears.

To bandmembers of Kiuas:
US tour! Please! I'll bring all my friends, I promise!
I think you should do a few tracks completely in Finnish. I think the language fits your style pretty well.

My other favorite bands:
As I Lay Dying
Kalmah
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Soilwork
Killswitch Engage
Disturbed

What other bands got me into metal and when?
Dream Theater was actually the band to get me into metal big time. This happened in 2004-05. Before that I had listened to things more along the lines of Story of the Year and Breaking Benjamin. Then I found As I Lay Dying and Children of Bodom and then got way into metal. Basically my entire iPod is full of metal and hardly any other genres.

How did I get into Kiuas and when? What sets them apart?
Well to be honest I have only known about Kiuas for roughly a year, but they were instantly one of my favorites. Mikko's ability to just shred and maintain such a high level of melodic overtones is beyond amazing. I play guitar and Mikko is probably my favorite guitarist. This instantly propelled Kiuas to my Top 3 favorite bands of all time. I also love them because I can belt out their lyrics driving my car on long trips and pretend I'm a rock star haha. There is only one song I don't care for from Kiuas and that is Reformation, but I love EVERY other song they have produced. I'd say that puts them above most bands.

To Kiuas:
PLEASE PLEASE tour America. I'll buy tickets in a heartbeat and bring everyone I know! I want to see you guys live so badly!