The Finnish folklore in Kiuas' songs

Loviatar

New Metal Member
May 24, 2006
Terve!

I was thinking about the source of magnificent and interesting lyrics of Kiuas. Are the lyrics based on the ancient versed Kalevala, Kanteletar or other Finnish folklore/mythology...?

The parts sung in Finnish are the best in their attackingness! I'd definitely like to hear more of them!

Loviatar said:
Terve!

I was thinking about the source of magnificent and interesting lyrics of Kiuas. Are the lyrics based on the ancient versed Kalevala, Kanteletar or other Finnish folklore/mythology...?

The parts sung in Finnish are the best in their attackingness! I'd definitely like to hear more of them!

Moro!

They are not directly based on the poems, for example "Across the snows" is based on one Lemminkäinen's journeys to Pohjola, but touches the story only slightly. Although I'm a big fan of the Kalevala and other traditional poems, that's as close as it gets with my lyrics. One of the reasons is that we don't want to be "imprisoned" by the folk/myth-theme, and therefore there are other themes as well in the lyrics. This way we can freely explore different lyrical themes, including the mythological ones. I also think you can view the myths as a timeless description of humanity-concepts such as love, hate, good/evil etc. will always be a part of the human existence and can be brought to the modern day without having to alway refer to them literally.

But oh yes, finnish lyrics bring a new flavour, so we might exploit this idea in the future a bit more. :headbang:

Loviatar said:

I love the finnish part on that album the most. It's a shame most good finnish metal bands have only one or two songs sung in finnish :/ Finnish a strong language, just like german (well not as strong anyway), and sounds damn good in metal.

Whenever I hear that part of "Across the Snows," I always imagine several warriors standing around a fire while a shaman-like figure recants the lines. Then he slowly raises his hands to the sky, and then suddenly it's Kiuas playing once the whole band comes in, and all the warriors just start headbanging and pounding their swords and shields together