Audio/Session Hosting?

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what services you guys use to host your audio files. Both for casual "check out my mix" mp3 sharing and for actual full-resolution multi track session transfer with collaborators, and everything in between. Are you happy with any of them?

Would any of you be interested in a service where for a small monthly fee ($10 USD/month or so) you got a friendly and customizable pro audio/musician oriented site with plenty of room to host your mixes and sessions, as well as set up different sections for your different projects at no additional cost, etc.?

Your input, as always, is very much appreciated. :kickass:

Are you talking about a FTP type thing for this?

One of my instructors at school constantly says how great powweb is. Its $69 for a year for 1.5 TB of space. Pretty crazy. Evidently they are always upping the space as well.

Dude, I would gladly pay $10/month for a service like Gavin's original ftp (or yours, but I liked the fewer restrictions and no password of Gavin's :) ) - keep us informed!

Another venture coming, eh? :lol:

Well, for 10 buck a month you can rent your own server, so I think I'd go this way. Right now, I'm in the lucky position to be able to "abuse" the university ftp.

For similar money I've got my own webspace and domain. Huge amount of hosting space and the ability to have multiple e-mail accounts, websites, scripts etc. so the offer isn't very tempting.

yeah web hosting prices are so cheap, its just easier to get hosting and put up whatever you like. but i might pay for a service that would make it easy for any person web-savvy or not to host audio projects, with key points such as being able to upload track files(wavs) and download them in a project file of choice, host/daw dependent, im sure it would be easy to figure how to make uploaded files and compile them in a simple project file for the most popular daw software. like if it has 8 tracks, you could upload them with file names and write some software to compile those tracks into a downloadable format that you can open right up, because i hate trying to figure out the tracks with individual files, importing each track is a pain.

yeah web hosting prices are so cheap, its just easier to get hosting and put up whatever you like. but i might pay for a service that would make it easy for any person web-savvy or not to host audio projects, with key points such as being able to upload track files(wavs) and download them in a project file of choice, host/daw dependent, im sure it would be easy to figure how to make uploaded files and compile them in a simple project file for the most popular daw software. like if it has 8 tracks, you could upload them with file names and write some software to compile those tracks into a downloadable format that you can open right up, because i hate trying to figure out the tracks with individual files, importing each track is a pain.

That's a better explanation of my idea than I provided, partially because I wanted to keep the question open. I agree with others who have said that hosting plans are abundant and cheap these days; what I'm considering offering is something a bit more/different and more like this description. It's also geared at people who are more musician/producer types who may know their DAW pretty well but are otherwise fairly non-technical.

Of course, as most of us here are geeky PC builder types (or close enough) - I also want to provide a service that gives some advantages over traditional web/ftp hosting even for people like us, particularly for those of us who have clients.

Everything's up in the air, from price to ideas to whether or not I'll even go into business with this, just doing some quick-and-dirty market validation.

I've been transfering whole sessions through skype and icq, sometimes with up to 3-4mbytes/s. As for clips I use whatever free web space I find and limit myself to mp3 files.

is something like DigiDelivery what you are getting at?

That crap is expensive as hell though.

I don't know anyone who uses DigiDelivery. And I know people who've worked on huge major label releases! I'm not sure who DigiDesign thinks their market is...

I'm interested in going after a much lower priced solution that also offers a broader use case and isn't platform specific.

I don't know anyone who uses DigiDelivery. And I know people who've worked on huge major label releases! I'm not sure who DigiDesign thinks their market is...

I'm interested in going after a much lower priced solution that also offers a broader use case and isn't platform specific.

Well, I assumed, but that is the only thing that sounded similar to what I thought you were getting at. I don't know anyone who uses DigiDelivery either...I just know about it. It is totally :erk:

I think its all going to boil down to a how much you charge and space/bandwidth thing really. The idea is solid, it depends on how you want to implement it. I'd be willing to pay for something worth paying if you catch my drift.