File / Web Hosting that doesn't suck!

Sorry for jumping the gun on that one Shane. No excuse for being an asshole, but I had had a long day at work. Consider this a sincere apology - after a nights rest I don't feel the same way.

DSS3 said:
Sorry for jumping the gun on that one Shane. No excuse for being an asshole, but I had had a long day at work. Consider this a sincere apology - after a nights rest I don't feel the same way.
Cool man, it's all good. I really appreciate the apology. You're one of my favorite people here and I always enjoy chatting with you, so I'm glad we could work this out. :kickass:

Kazrog said:
Everyone is constantly recommending products and services here, including Andy & James, so why am I suddenly evil for doing it?

I think it's the referral money factor mainly. I don't think you're evil and I'm sure they're a fine host, treating you well, and all so you'd reccomend them regardless...

Some people just spam forums with stuff like Dreamhost (you can even do the Dreamhost referral plan without actually being a customer of theirs) hoping to get a bunch of people to signup and make a bunch of quick cash. When you see an obvious referral link and they don't mention they're getting something out of it I'm always hesitant.

And on the subject of it's not an advertisement... it kind of is an advertisement... or at least fits the dictionary definition: To make public announcement of, especially to proclaim the qualities or advantages of (a product or business) so as to increase sales.

I really don't see it as a big deal. He was just sharing information. If he makes a little extra cash off of it, that's even better.

I'd feel worse if I switched to Dreamhost and missed the opportunity to give Mr. Kazrog some free money.

Plus, he's far beyond a noob with a 1000+ posts. Not like a 1 posting spam/troll.

^^^
Yeah, that's why I don't see it as that big a deal either as he's a regular and not some troll. I can understand his reasoning for not wanting to mention the referral stuff too but usually someone brings it up when they see it, so it goes down that road anyways... Also it's not like I wouldn't do the same if I had a host with a deal like that.

If I were to be concerned about any of this [which, for the record, I am not], it would be that one needs to be on that hosting plan for ten months before one's $9.95 payments start going towards helping Dreamhost provide a quality service instead of helping them break even on the referral fee.

One would be paying them monthly either way, but that money could be used for customer service staff salaries and maintaining/upgrading/expanding hardware if one signed up without the paid referral. With the paid referral, one is essentially paying the referrer for the better part of a year and getting service from the (potentially understaffed and undermaintained) host for free. :loco:

iekobrid said:
If I were to be concerned about any of this [which, for the record, I am not], it would be that one needs to be on that hosting plan for ten months before one's $9.95 payments start going towards helping Dreamhost provide a quality service instead of helping them break even on the referral fee.

One would be paying them monthly either way, but that money could be used for customer service staff salaries and maintaining/upgrading/expanding hardware if one signed up without the paid referral. With the paid referral, one is essentially paying the referrer for the better part of a year and getting service from the (potentially understaffed and undermaintained) host for free. :loco:

They would still make $72 off an almost virtual product in one year.

Kazrog said:
I could recommend Robert Keeley Electronics, who just modded my TS808 (it sounds amazing now!) and you wouldn't get pissed off about it, even if I was somehow magically earning commission (which I'm not.) Everyone is constantly recommending products and services here, including Andy & James, so why am I suddenly evil for doing it?

Cheers! been looking for that link for ages! have you got any pre/post mod clips? Cos im looking to get this done.

Dan

DanAbela said:
Cheers! been looking for that link for ages! have you got any pre/post mod clips? Cos im looking to get this done.

Dan

Being that I still have an unmodded TS808 at my disposal, I can do pre/post mod clips. I will post them as soon as I can.

Just an FYI. dreamhost.com has been down for the last few minutes. I just checked multiple locations. Maine, Ohio, Penn and Virginia.

Edit: Back Online........

anyway there are on the internet a lot of free hosting providers.
People don't need graphics or stuff like that, so who cares for "Full of ads..."?
they just need to upload their shit and put on here a direct link to the file.
YouSendit sucks big time as alot of others do, anyway soundclick still kicks ass!
People use soundclick it works fine :) !