AugDawgs review of Down II

augdawg2

F.U.2 Master
Feb 6, 2002
Dawgland
www.geocities.com
Hey hey yall,

I realize this album is a couple of months old now, but give me a break! I just received a copy of it finally last night for my birthday, finally received a copy of the long awaited Down II. Here is my review of what I think is a new classic!

*Highly charged

1-Lysergik funeral procession*
Wow, what a build on this motherfucker, another great sabbath sounding riff from Pepper! Weird samples at the beginning sound great, tempo in the middle of the song builds! Tuff sounding riff!

2-Theres something on my side
My god! This one just begins rocking, and goes back and fourth between a pretty fast tempo and mid tempo with this huge swell that goes to a really cool kinda mellow section in the middle of the song(almost bluesy at one point), but ofcourse, Down manages to build this section back to the original heavy theme

3-The man that follows hell*
Pepper is starting to scare me, he sounds so Toni Iomie on this album, but no worries these are kinda old school COC sounding riffs as well. Phils lyrics and vocals are cool as fuck on this one. My god, the end riff changes and mutates to a wonderfully brutal groove at the 2:45 to 3 minute mark on this one! Killer sounds between Rex's bass line and Peppers and Kirks guitars on this one.

4-Staind Glass Cross
What the? This song almost sounds like a bluesy Alman Brothers meets Lynnard Skynard affair! With a Down touch ofcourse, certainly a different of tune for them. There is even this great little Hammond Organ going on throughout this song.

5-Ghosts along the mississippi*
Good powerful beginning, and builds with a nice lyrically intro. Great melody flowing from Phil and boys on this one! Almost Pantera esc sounding on this one, Phil vocal kinda remind me of his performance on Cemetary gates on this one! The great thing about this song, is the feeling almost takes aggressive control and suddenly mellows again! Lots of moody swells on this tune, so far the most diverse sounding on the record.

6-Learn from this mistake
A super mellow affair on this one. Phil sounds very different on this one, not that you won't recognize him, but you'll see what I mean when you hear this one. Kinda sounds like a typical building ballad type, but certainly with that Down touch. Pepper really shows some great leads into these sections on this one.

7-Beautifully depressed*
Kinda sounds like a COC riff off the "Blind" album. Great changes between the lyrics and the chorus sections. Not a super heavy song, but again with that heavy ass Down groove that kicks along. Another great sounding tune on this effort.

8-Where I'm going
My god! Phil vocals are great on this intro to this one, and throughout as well. Wow, this tune is all Phil vocals and Pepper on a slide guitar. Certainly different, but a very heart felt performance from this one.

9-Doobi interlude
This is kinda cool, it sounds like Down recording a little jam that they did and it starts off sounding like it's coming through a old distorted radio and the sound everntually clears up more to reveal the true sound of the jam. Kinda a bluesy jam going on here, but it certainly sounds like a interlude. As for the Doobi, yeah, you could smoke one to this. This blends pretty nicely into the crude and mean riff of "New Orleans is a dying whore".

10-New Orleans is a dying whore*
Oh my god, this is the riff that I've been waiting for. Truely blistering and angry,Heavy as hell! and this song also includes the phil that we've all come to love, angry and insulting! Great drumming on this one as well.

11-The seed*
Another great heavy riff, with a wonderful intro. Trade mark sounding Down riff, with good ole Phil blistering again in definite old school Pantera sounding vocal style. The middle section on this one slows to a pounding, crushing, and powerful section which promptly rebounds back to the original theme. Great song, really loving this one! More thunderous drum sticks on this heavy affair.

12-Lies, I don't know what they say but.......
Another bluesy type ballad type song, but more of a blues jam type of feel. The riff almost sounds kinda like a Doors riff? Maybe, but alittle Lynnard Skynard sound as well. Great bluesy walking bass line from Rex on this tune. Eventually this builds to a pretty powerful jam with some good vocal section by Phil.

13-Flambeaux's jamming with St. Aug
What the? I didn't even notice the title until it got to this song. Maybe they know AugDawg is a Down fan? Really, this is just the guys jamming on the drumms and percussion and goofing around which blends into the Dog Tired song.

14-Dog tired*
Oh my, here we go again with another fairly brutal heavy riff. Great Phil vocals on this one throughout. Reminds me of a tune of the first Down album, maybe abit like "Temptations Wings" from the first Down album. Powerful performance by everybody on this one!

15-Landing on the moutains of meggido
Wow, another ballad type song, but this one builds with a great acoustical guitar and has more of a Black Sabbath type of trippy sound going to it. Great effects on Phil vocals in this one, really need to play this track with headphones. More of a epic sounding production to this one as well. Kinda of a surprise to end the album with this one.

Surprises on the album* Phil Anselmo really expands quite abit on his vocal efforts on this album. Great lyrics throughout, pretty creative stuff.

No Surprise* Pepper K continues to add to his guitar legend in my book. Without question he is the secret weapon of Down. His guitar tone throughout the album is simply deadly. Kirk is no slouch either, it's hard to tell whos who on the guitars but this album is such a guitar album it really doesn't matter. Great guitars on this album for sure, they certainly stick out larger than life.

Backbone* Rex is a fine addition to Down, he tends not to step on anybodies feet with his performance but also doesn't shy away from certain moments. Fine effort on the bass guitar and one that we would certainly expect from such a veteran of the bass. Great performance on the drums throughout by drummer Jimmy. He certainly gets explosive at the perfect time on many tracks.

Overall: To be %100 honest with you, I'm surprised that this album has received some negative reviews? In my book, Down II stands right beside the freshman effort and even goes some new places. All Down fans should love this album and I would highly recommend it to any true metal fan.

AugDawg review: 8 out of 10

Cheerz,

AugDawg

2002 was the year of the Anselmo for me. New Down record, the "debut" of Superjoint Ritual to a national audience, and a tour from both. Phil was sooooo fucked up at both shows he had to sit down for a while, to many valiums and joints. I asked Charlie once if Pantera's whole party thing was an image thing and a way to market themselves, or if they were really fucked up.....he was like "dude, they are truly nuts, it was hard to tour with them, every fucking rest stop, hotel, show, they were just drinking and making us drink......"

yeah sometimes I think Phil should focus more on down. I was more impressed with that album than the two newest pantera albums. I've heard superjoint and that was also awesome. It's the same thing with armored saint becasue I like them just as much as Anthrax. It would be realy badass if John went into the studio with them shortly after the new Anthrax comes out. and whats up with the Armored Saint website anyway? it's been down for a while.
-Jono-

one things for sure,u cant accuse phil of being lazy,i am really hanging out for dime and vinnies project with david allan coe,
i think its gonna be called rebel meets rebel.

that will keep me satisfied till the new pantera and anthrax cds!!!

i love this album.i bought it the day it came out and still listen to it all the time. all i can say is that this album kicks ass.and i hope they keep making more.and i want a new C.O.C album too.

Great review Augdawg. Thank God for Phil Anselmo! If it wasn't for him what the fuck would we have new to listen to while waiting for this new Thrax to come out?

Amen brother,

Thank God for Phil Anselmo! He really is a vocal metal god and I'm glad he's into so many different projects so we can hear all the shit he comes up with.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Originally posted by nuge
i love this album.i bought it the day it came out and still listen to it all the time. all i can say is that this album kicks ass.and i hope they keep making more.and i want a new C.O.C album too.

I don't want them to feel like they have to do a Down record. As soon as it becomes a "job" the vibe will be gone......this is one of the many reasons Pantera are taking a sabbatical. Also, look what happened when SOD started touring and releasing new CD's and DVD's and rereleasing stuff. It died. It didn't burn out or fade away. It just died.

Band members from SOD exploded and the shrapnel cut the band itself to shreds.
anyway, if you guys don't have NOLA I suggest getting it. I think it's better than DOWN II. there are a few songs on DOWN II that I don't listen to, But NOLA I Listen to all the way through. I'm pretty sure its outa print but you can find it somewhere. I got mine offa kazaa some guy had amazing bandwidth. But I promise I'll give them money to make up for it.
-Jono-

Thanx Jono,

But thankfully I was quite possibly one of the first Down fans ever, I remember getting a promo at a friends record store like three weeks before it came out. She would always save stuff for me and another friend that she thought I would like. Well she knew that I loved Pantera and C.O.C and when she saw who was in the band she saved me a copy. Ofcourse, I ended up giving the promo away when I bought myself a copy later, I SAID GODDAM that album kicks ass! Indeed, Nola stands right next to their second album in my opinion. Infact, I don't think I could choose a favorite out of these two fine albums. These are really some of the best metal albums in the last ten years. I think at least one of them would go on almost anybodies top ten or top twenty list.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Originally posted by nafnikufesin

Only an 8, AugDawg? If this album is a classic like you say (and I agree it has the makings of one), then you're a pretty tough critic.

Funny, I'm actually listening to Down II again, and my opinion of the album has actually gone up! It's a great album and I think I can actual say 9 out of 10 now. But yes, I can be a tuff critic, but at the same time I like to rate albums by the theory below.

1-5 = don't waste your time

6 = ok, not bad but lacked overall focus

7 = pretty good

8 = dam good

9 = borderline unstoppable

10 = perfect, not many albums get this rating

So nafnikufesin, as you can see, the Down II album is now at the "Borderline unstoppable" level. I'd say that makes it a classic! Oh yeah, and I almost forgot, "THE POWER OF THE RIFF COMPELLS ME!"

Cheerz!

AugDawg

yeah it would be hard to give an album a 10 rating. think about it... in order for it to be perfect, you have to like every part of every song. Like you listen to the CD straight through without ever skipping a song. I can't even say I don't do that to rust in peace. Jethro Tull Aqualung is probably the only album I can give a ten.
-Jono-

P.S. sitting on a park bench!

Originally posted by Jono
yeah it would be hard to give an album a 10 rating. think about it... in order for it to be perfect, you have to like every part of every song. Like you listen to the CD straight through without ever skipping a song. I can't even say I don't do that to rust in peace. Jethro Tull Aqualung is probably the only album I can give a ten.
-Jono-

P.S. sitting on a park bench!

Amen Brother Jono,

Giving a album a 10 is almost impossible! Which it should be cause a 10 means a perfect rating which is very demanding.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Aug,

I bought Nola a few weeks ago and loved it. I bought Down II on your recomendation and im having trouble getting into it. I dont know why, i want to like it but its troubling me. It could be because the first 3 songs on Nola have some of the most unbelievable riffs from hell and Down II isnt hitting me as hard right now. I dont know. I hate to say it but im dissapointed. Mind you im dissapointed with 3 of the last 4 cds ive bought so maybe im just not in a good frame of mind.

T