AugDawgs review on "Red Dragon"

augdawg2

F.U.2 Master
Feb 6, 2002
Dawgland
www.geocities.com
Hey everybody!

Whats up ya'll? I went and saw "Red Dragon" last friday and I loved it! Here is my review of this great movie.

A return to the cannibal feast!
Oct 07 '02

Pros
The first chapter of Hannibal is revealed!

Cons
I left wanting more! Dont we always want more of a good thing!

The Bottom Line
Expect some surprises, and expect alot of blood!

Full Review

Plot Details: This opinion reveals major details about the movie's plot.
I personally have been a huge fan of the Hannibal Lecter novels so I ran to the theater Friday night to see "Red Dragon".

The Plot:

The movie begins at Dr. Hannibals house while he is entertaining a group of friends. After the party Will Graham(Edward Norton) arrives to ask Hannibal some questions about a case that is troubling him. Ultimately, Dr. Lecter turns on Will and both nearing die! Infact, this is the event that captures Dr. Lecter and leads Will Graham to a early retirement. However, several years later FBI Agent Will Graham gets called out of early retirement to catch a serial killer, known by authorities as "The Tooth Fairy". He asks for the help of his arch-nemesis, Dr. Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter, so that he can be able to catch "The Tooth Fairy" and bring him to justice. The only problem is that "The Tooth Fairy" is getting inside information about Graham and his family from none other than Dr. Lecter. During the movie we get to see the Red Dragons grisley actions, and some incredible scenes unfold!

Key performances:

Anthony Hopkins: Hannibal Lecter
Need we say anymore! Anthony Hopkins returns to play this great character again, but to me there just wasn't enough of him in the movie. The only time we really see him is when Will Graham(Edward Norton) has to get more advice from him. Even with this, Anthony Hopkins makes the most of every scene that he is in!

Edward Norton: Will Graham
I really like this guy, as his performance is very good and very believable! The character of Will Graham is a loving father figure, with great instincts and FBI knowledge. In the end, the love of his family is used against him by the Red Dragon!

Ralph Fiennes: Francis Dolarhyde
Perhaps the best performance of the movie! Ralph Fiennes plays the elusive Red Dragon(Francis Dolarhyde), and his performance is top notch! Francis Dolarhyde, aka the 'Tooth Fairy' is a brutal serial killer who has killed two families and may be on the hunt for a third. I believe that with a good thriller, your movie is only as good as the villian is! With that said, I can also tell you that Francis Dolarhyde is a incredible foe, and is played very well by Ralph Fiennes!

Harvey Keitel: Jack Crawford
Jack Crawford is Will Graham old friend and co-worker from the FBI that recommeds getting Will's help when the frustrated authorities can't find a clue on the "Tooth Fairy" killer at the beginning of the movie. Another good performance by this schooled actor!

Production:
All in all, the performances by every person in this movie are pretty dam good. There is also great music to build the tense moods, and many great visuals to bring this nightmare to life in vivid color! I would certainly tell all fans of "Silence of the Lambs", and "Hannibal" that you will not be dissapointed with this movie.

Final thought:
The only thing that was a bummer is I left the theater wanting more! Sometimes it's a bad thing when a movie finally comes to a end, as the movie ends when Hannibal Lecter is about to meet Clarice Starling for the first time! Parting is such sweet sorrow!

AugDawg rating 8 out of 10

Recommended
Yes

Movie Mood: Scary Movie
Suitability For Children: Not suitable for Children of any age
Viewing Method: Other
Film Completeness: Looked complete to me.
Worst Part of this Film: Nothing
Would See Film Again: Yes, but I'll wait for it on video

Dude I only skimmed this revie because I have not seen it yet but you have the most comprehensive and through cd and movie reviews! Its cool.
Did you like Hannibal? I thought it sucked I was really let down by it. What about Manhunter directed by Michael Mann? Did you see that? It was the first time they turned Red Dragon in to a book.

I've read Red Dragon. Havn't seen the movie, but if Hannibal was in it for more than 5 minutes that would be too much. He had nothing to do with the book, except for like half a chapter that didn't really affect the story all that much. Plus, the killer had a physical deformity, which isnt in the movie.

Originally posted by Cincy Vigilante
Dude I only skimmed this revie because I have not seen it yet but you have the most comprehensive and through cd and movie reviews! Its cool.
Did you like Hannibal? I thought it sucked I was really let down by it. What about Manhunter directed by Michael Mann? Did you see that? It was the first time they turned Red Dragon in to a book.

Actually, I haven't had a chance to checkout "Manhunter" yet, but I'm going 2! I've seen that movie for sale for $8.99 so I may try to pick it up today:)grin: god I love horror/thriller movies). "Hannibal" was OK! It wasn't the best, but it do have some great scenes and I actually loved the ending! In my opinion "Red Dragon" turned out much better than "Hannibal" but is not quite as good as the classic "Silence of the Lambs". Actually TrueBeliever, they did manage to have a physical deformity for Francis Dolarhyde in the movie. But I won't give it away, and I think you may actually enjoy this movie.

"But that's just one fellows opinion" George Carlin

Thanx for reading the review guys.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Red Dragon was pretty good. Here's how I review those 3 movies.

Silence of the Lambs: 8.5
Hannibal: 5
Red Dragon: 8

"It puts the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again." -Cartman

Well I saw Red Dragon today and I really liked it. As Aug said all the leads did a great job. Ralph Fiennis is awesome. He is great in any film he in in such as the undrerated Strange Days. I cant wait for Gangs of New York. And Norton ruled in the movie Primal Fear. But the only objection I had was that you left out Emily Watson in your review. I thought that she gave the best performance in the movie. Her vunerablity sold me. I feared for her. I liked this movie way better than Hannibal but not as much as Silence. Its close but not quite as good.

Yeah I saw it. I would like to be the one person posting say that it's a crap movie but I can't. All the characters are awesome. The Blind girl was really good. Everybody knew their parts and played it exceptionally. Not as good as Lambs, but better than Hannibal. I liked Hannibal, but I found the end quite crappy; but we ain't talking about that movie.

I haven't read the books. Seen Manhunter the movie, but that version is old, and not at all well made. If you read the book, I strongly suggest not to rent it as I will not even compare. I know this because it wasn't even watchable for those who haven't read the book like me.