AugDawgs review of Filter: The Amalgamut

augdawg2

F.U.2 Master
Feb 6, 2002
Dawgland
www.geocities.com
Hello ya'll,

I just purchased Filters third album last night, and I'm sorry to say that it's not as good as I hoped for. There are some great moments but overall the album fails to build a constant groove. I would only recommend this album to the biggest Filters fans. Here is my review.

Filter: The Amalgamut

1-You walk away: Wow, this one begins with a wicked style riff(that is almost thrash metal), the chorus sounds like the A-Typical sonic Filter melody. Love the bridge and the breakdown in this song, the riff is very heavy.

2-American cliché: The beginning to this song kinda sounds like “Hey Man, nice shot” with a similar bass line. However, the song builds a great deal of steam and Richard Patrick(vocalist) really makes the chorus sound great. Richard Patrick has a great scream which shows in this song. Another very heavy song indeed.

3-Where do we go from here: Right off the bat when hearing this song, one can’t help but hear similarities from “Take a Picture”. However, this song builds a pretty cool flowing heavy melody. This is ofcourse the first single off the album, and it kinda sounds like a single. This song does have quite a chorus.

4-Columind: Ouch, this song is about what it sounds like it is. Very brutal message indeed, need I say more. The opening riff sounds like a Korn rip off, but still as the Filter quality. The drumming of this song is great. The chorus saves this song, not a bad song but certainly not the best Filter song I’ve heard.

5-The missing: This one begins with a mellow sound and a is certainly a ballad type. This may be some of the best singing I’ve heard Mr. Patrick perform. A heart felt performance. Great guitar line accompanies the music throughout.

6-The only way(Is the wrong way): Hmmmm, this is certainly a different sounding song for Filter. This one begins with a electronic type beat and a acoustic guitar. This song also sounds alittle like “Take a Picture”.

7-My long walk to Jail: Yes, this is the riff I’ve been waiting for! Heavy and pit stomping style to this one and the guitars bleed the speakers. There is certainly a true metal influence on this one. There is also a great mix of real drums and electronic drums on this one.

8-So I quit: Wow, another punishing heavy riff. This one also builds with a great deal of speed compared to the other tunes on the album so far. Great vocal effect on Mr. Patricks voice on this one.

9-God damm Me: Another acoustic beginning, but this riff is deeper than “The missing”. This is certainly another ballad type song.

10-It can never be the same: Very interesting sound to this one. More of a mixed affair with is accompanied with a heavy riff. Good drumming going on in this one. Pretty good tune all in all.

11-World today: Cool intro to this one, with a great sound effects and a good building drum line. This one has a trippy sound which forms the song as it goes. Accompanied by a echo type vocal line.

12-The 4th: “World today” and this song blend together almost like one song. Where “World today” leaves off, it goes straight into “The 4th”. To be honest with you, I have no idea why this is even listed as a song though. Really, it’s just echo sound effects that would only interest someone tripping out on drugs! It would have made more sense if Filter would have only listed 11 songs and had this as a hidden track because there is no actual song value. Certainly a bummer way to end the album.

Overall rating: I have to say that I’m alittle dissapointed with this album and I would only recommend it to a true Filter fan. If you looking at becoming a Filter fan this is not the album that will make you one.

Best songs: You walk away, Where do we go from here, My long walk to jail, So I quit

*After a second and third listen this album has grown on me some more. I'm still abit disapointed but only because I love Filters first two and was kinda hoping for their strongest effort yet. But, I can say that this is a pretty good album and Filter fans should enjoy.

*Updated: AugDawg rating 7 out of 10

i personally love it.

i opened my store late so i could go across the hall and buy it so i could listen to it at work... i was helping an older lady out and "so i quit" came on (starts off with rich screaming motherfucker).yeah... i got a funny look for that one.

Originally posted by Steve M
i personally love it.

i opened my store late so i could go across the hall and buy it so i could listen to it at work... i was helping an older lady out and "so i quit" came on (starts off with rich screaming motherfucker).yeah... i got a funny look for that one.

Actually, I am enjoying the album more on the second listen. "So I quit" is fucking awesome! Did you notice the cough on the opening scream? It sounds like Patrick really ripped it and lost his throat, it's a great song!

Cheerz!

AugDawg

MOTHERFUCKEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!

I don't have the album, but I've heard it... that part in So I Quit where he tries to sound like a rapper bugs me. "You wanna take something from me muthafucka?" or something. Basically I think they wanted a parental advisory so it would sell more. :rolleyes:

I absolutely love this album, especially tracks 2,3,5 and 6. The first time I heard track 6 I immidiately thought "this is the next big Filter song". There's actually a new car commercial that plays the chorus: "and it feels like...."
I saw Filter about a month after Short Bus came out, and too this day, they are by far the best band I've ever seen live.

Originally posted by Ron MOSH Earl
I absolutely love this album, especially tracks 2,3,5 and 6. The first time I heard track 6 I immidiately thought "this is the next big Filter song". There's actually a new car commercial that plays the chorus: "and it feels like...."
I saw Filter about a month after Short Bus came out, and too this day, they are by far the best band I've ever seen live.

Amen 2 that Ron,

I too saw Filter on the "Short Bus" tour and I must say that I was blown the fuck away. I saw them at a smaller club in Seattle before "Hey man nice shot" even blew up. My friends and I sat in this little balcony area that was literally on the side of the stage so it was kinda like we were sitting on the stage. The sweat from the band actually hit us a couple of times and Richard Patrick is the real deal on the vocals. His performance was very intense and he sings straight from the heart, my god the veins in his neck and forhead looked like they would pop at any moment. Richard even pointed at us and was said "Thanks to the party table over here, are you guys having fun?" And me and my friends were like "FUCK YEAH MAN" It was a great concert to see!

Cheerz!

AugDawg