aurora borealis in Skellefteå ?

When I was in Umeå, which is about an hour south of Skellefteå, we would go out to Nydalasjön (a lake IN TOWN) and wait for it to show up. I actually have some pictures of the first big one we saw on my personal myspace. It was incredible. I had some friends who saw them upwards of 15 times, but they were the most hardcore. I must've seen them about 5 or 6 times while I was up there though, in the first year. After the big study abroad group split up I quit actively searching for them, but shortly after we moved into our new apartment (my girlfriend and I), we saw them from our balcony (they were particularly strong that night). And Skellefteå is farther north, which probably means that it's easier to see up there.

i noticed a lot of mentioning of aurora in VFTSG, i was wondering can it actually be seen in Skellefteå? And if yes, does that happen rarely or quite often?

Not about this topic, just wanted to say so cool that you listen to VFTSG :D
I really love that album & specially the song "Vem styr symmetrin?" ...ooohh, it's just great :)

Not about this topic, just wanted to say so cool that you listen to VFTSG :D
I really love that album & specially the song "Vem styr symmetrin?" ...ooohh, it's just great :)
but of course i listen to VFTSG! :D and i love it! As everything what comes out of mr.V's mind, more or less! otherwise i wouldn't be here huh :p Although i was much more into Cosmic Genesis recently ;)

back to my question: are there special weather conditions when the chance is big that aurora will show up? I mean, i guess the sky obviously should be quite clear, but is there more to it? Or you just go there like that and see what happens? i would love to see it too, i guess the sight is just overwhelming...

but of course i listen to VFTSG! :D and i love it! As everything what comes out of mr.V's mind, more or less! otherwise i wouldn't be here huh :p Although i was much more into Cosmic Genesis recently ;)

back to my question: are there special weather conditions when the chance is big that aurora will show up? I mean, i guess the sky obviously should be quite clear, but is there more to it? Or you just go there like that and see what happens? i would love to see it too, i guess the sight is just overwhelming...

Visions is a great record. :D

That said, uh yeah, it relies actually on solar weather! So, yeah, if the sun is particularly active, then you can watch that information and track in on the net. There's a great website called spaceweather.com, where you can actually go and you can check the auroral oval on there. So right now it's way more over Canada and the northern US than it is over Scandinavia, so we couldn't see it. But, sometimes it's low enough that you could even see it in the Netherlands (if you were in a very isolated, lightless area... sooo, good luck! :lol:). There's a thing called the Kp index which basically measures how strong the auroras are, based on a 1-5 scale. If they're strong (5) and you're far enough north you can even hear them!

but of course i listen to VFTSG! otherwise i wouldn't be here huh

Well, if I remember right you didn't like Vintersorg so much (as you do now), your favorite band was Opeth and Mikael was your favorite singer... lucky you that can change your mind in one second :lol: hehe, just kidding, but for that I wrote you "cool" that you seem to adore all the stuff that Andreas has created...

Well, if I remember right you didn't like Vintersorg so much (as you do now), your favorite band was Opeth and Mikael was your favorite singer... lucky you that can change your mind in one second :lol: hehe, just kidding, but for that I wrote you "cool" that you seem to adore all the stuff that Andreas has created...
noooo this is sooooo totally not true! :eek::eek: (hmmm now i have a weird feeling you know me longer than i know?!) :rolleyes: i have always loved Vintersorg! :eek: from the very first moment i first heard Solens Rötter, which since that time has been in my top 15 best albums of all times!! i just didn't like The Focusing Blur so much, it's still my least fav. of all Vintersorg albums... But i didn't have to change my mind about anything: Vintersorg has absolutely all the components that move me so deeply gathered together, and since i discovered the philosophy behind it i became totally hooked (some even say obsessed :Smug:). Vintersorg is me in the music form :)

I do love Opeth very much and i used to say that Mikael has the most beautiful male voice. (how did you know that?) But the reason Opeth is on top of my charts is 1) i know them much longer than i know Vintersorg; 2) they have made more albums. But if we're talking about fav. bands, i have much more i'm crazy about and i cannot say which one of those i love more, or is better than the other. It changes every week. The only thing the still remains unchanged, is my kvlt band Arcturus :worship:

I think we (all in the forum) feel more less the same (spell) about Vintersorg's music & that's great ;)
I also like Opeth a lot, Mikael is a great singer & he's very friendly too : )
And how do I know about that??? Because I'm a visionary :cool: hehe
Nice about Arcturus!!!

And how do I know about that??? Because I'm a visionary :cool: hehe
oh no don't tell me you've read my excessive shouts in Opeth's shoutbox on last.fm :rolleyes::oops: that's the only thing i can think of where i could have said that... but that was like almost a year ago? o_O i didn't know you at that time... have you been stalking me? :lol: (j/k :p )

btw, i forgot to thank NovembersDirge for the info! :oops:

Sometimes it can even be seen in Northern Germany (you know, Flensburg, Runk :p) and Denmark sometimes, so it's most probably as well visible in Skellefteå.