Australia + New Zealand Tour

Yeah i hope they do come back! It would be awesome, hopefully not as late as after their next album.

Yay for being 18 next year! and ill be 18 by the time they come out again!Win.
anyone here go to perth? how was it?

Perth show was great.

Tried to get an autograph after the show but they didnt want to come out and sign :erk: AT least thats what the fuck head security people said

Online gig reviews from Australian site FasterLouder:

Fowler's Live, Adelaide (28/06/08)
Well, it was with huge excitement that we headed through town on Saturday night, trying to find a park, on our way to see the incredibly popular Finnish act Children of Bodom (Cob). Hailing from the small town of Espoo in Finland, CoB have risen to huge heights of fame in a relatively short time – though the band would disagree on that latter point – and have now experienced two sell-out tours of Australia in just over three years. With a track-record like this, it’s a fair bet to say that they’ll keep coming back.

When we got to Fowler’s, having walked through past the back of the Media Resource Centre, we encountered a line like we have never seen at Fowler’s before. It stretched right up to the walkway near the Jam Factory, and kept going; and that is a line of two to three people wide.We got there at about 7.20 pm, and the first band, Nothing, which started at 7.30 pm were already well into their set by the time we managed to get in the door. We did expect to see a huge amount of people – Adelaide’s show sold all its tickets locally incredibly quickly, with only four tix left in the fortnight leading up to the show.

After a longer delay than between the two support acts, with final sound-checks building the atmosphere of anticipation in the venue, CoB finally took to the stage at about 9.40 pm. Even though I write ‘finally’, this is the time that they were billed to start – perhaps the first time in ages that I’ve been to a show where the running list was accurate to the minute.

As the crowd packed itself tighter and tighter into the front of the stage, the venue got hotter and hotter. Also, for short-arses like me, the stage started to disappear by dint of the tall bastards in front of me! I noticed quite a few people shifting around as best they could to get a better view. I struck it lucky towards the end of the set: some dude had vacated a box right next to the mixing desk, so I got a glorious, uninterrupted view of the stage from the back of the venue, and unsurpassable quality in the sound as well: the best of both worlds!

My excitement as to the show was not unfounded. CoB played their shit harder and faster than you’ll hear it on the recordings – especially their latest, Blooddrunk – and the vibe was one of elation as they started to shred their way into the set.

I’d heard from those who saw CoB last time they were in Adelaide that Laiho, the band’s lead guitarist and vocalist, was incredible to watch, that it is good to see that he can pull of on stage what he does in the recordings. Primed with this knowledge, could I say that it’s true. Absolutely! As one of the best young guitarists in the world at present, Laiho was no disappointment. That’s not to take the glory away from the rest of the band, however; they were all of an incredibly high standard, and all were having a ball and were glad to be back. Said Laiho: ‘It’s been a fucking while since we played here, dude!’

Just as we were all getting into it, at about four songs into the set, the entire show stopped, the band walked off the stage, and management and security got on to the stage to ask everybody to get back behind the barrier. Barrier? I hadn’t even seen a barrier; neither had the FL photographer at the show, who was now pissed coz he’d missed his chance to get the best pics – which would have been from between the stage and the barrier. Of course, kids being kids, they totally ignored the request to move back. So it was repeated, three or four times. Eventually, it got to the point where this happened:

‘Get back behind the barrier. If you don’t step back, the show will be pulled. This has come straight from their management. Come on guys, show some respect for the band. They don’t come here every day, they’ll be around for a long time to come, so please just step back and the show can go on.’

After this happened for a while, people got their shit together and moved back again, the chant went up, and the band re-emerged. But when they did, some of that indefinable magic had been lost and the vibe wasn’t quite the same as what it had been earlier in the show.

Still, it was an awesome set! CoB played tracks from most of their releases, including Hate Crew Deathroll, Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper, and their newie, Blooddrunk.

Right at the end of the show, before the final encore, Laiho told us all:

‘You know, we’ve seen this shit,’ pointing to the mosh and circle pits, ‘every night, but I really, really mean it when I say that you guys have been a big, fucking kick-ass audience!’

It was an awesome show; amazingly, the venue was still selling beers at the end of the set, and there was an absolute shitload of people hanging around outside afterwards on the off-chance of meeting the band.

Let’s hope we see CoB again very, very soon – after this second round of sell-out shows, perhaps this is not a hollow hope.

Enmore Theatre, Sydney (24/06/08)
Finnish metalheads Children Of Bodom are one of the hottest metal acts in the world right now, and it was clearly evident why at their blistering Enmore performance. Their latest release Blooddrunk is one of the top metal albums of the year, and their live performance was fucking phenomenal. It was just so metal – killer riffs, yelling to the crowd, guitar love, you get the idea.

The band – Alexi Laiho (vocals, lead guitar), Roope Latvala (rhythm guitar), Janne Wirman (keyboard), Henkka Seppälä (bass), and Jaska Raatikainen (drums) perform a tight cohesive set at such a blazing speed, they obviously don’t do many drugs and stick to good ol’ reliable booze.

The show was just fucking brutal. The supercharged Living Dead Beat and the behemoth that is Sixpouder had the crowd in a giant head-banging frenzy. Follow The Reaper continued the trend, and Silent Night, Bodom Night, with its galloping guitar and red hot riffage, was a highlight (among many). Alexi Laiho is clearly a seriously talented axe man – it’s no surprise Guitar World magazine has ranked him among the top 50 fastest guitar players in the world. And at the 2008 Metal Hammer Golden Gods awards, he picked up the Dimebag award for best shredder. But his obvious love for his guitar had many wondering – does he sleep with it while on tour, leaving horny groupies out the door? Bloody hope not.

There were surely hordes of groupies getting down to thrashing mayhem of In Your Face and Banned From Heaven. The hammering of Needled 24/7 and Masks Of Sanity was insane, whipping the mosh into a right frenzy. About halfway through the show a teenybanger jumped the crowd barrier (a popular activity all night – security did a pretty crappy job; there were only a couple of ‘em). The teenybanger broke his wrist when he landed, but instead of launching into the mosh, he left for treatment! What the fuck? Lame!

Meanwhile, the rest of us were enjoying the twisted brilliance of Angels Don’t Kill. Their short cover of Umbrella by that dude Rihanna was hilarious metal. The semi trailer-sized Blooddrunk hit hard, and the mosh loved every second of it. It’s great to see such support for international acts. So after 80 minutes of world-class metal, it was sadly all over with fan favourite Hate Crew Deathroll.

So it's like fucking 1am and I just got home from Perth.

Went and visited Bon Scott's memorial with some of the Bodom crew, some of the Just Say Rock crew, Roope and Alexi before going out to get drunk. We ended up getting kicked out of the pub because they thought Roope had had enough to drink. Haha, he's a fucking funny drunk though, so's Alexi. Last few days have been an absolute blast.

Roope, me and Alexi just outside the gate near Bon Scott's memorial.

2moa82f.jpg

A slightly drunk moi and a very drunk Roope.

efma78.jpg

Damn, when did they leave perth? Tuesday night? what day did they visit the cemetary? Thats 5 minutes from my place ;(

Pub - The something rather Arms. The Stamford Arms? I can't remember...it was near the beach.
I did indeed go to the Perth gig - I was the only girl doing CoB's merch, there were two other guys with me who work for Just Say Rock. I don't work for Just Say Rock though, I was kind of just working with them for work experience reasons - help out a bit and pick up tips along the way about the going ons in the music industry and what sort of business goes on during the organization of tours and how to organise them etc.
Cemetary was on Tuesday, they left Wednesday.

Goddamn it. We waited outside the perth gig but apparently they didnt want to come out and sign shit. just 6 of us there....