Australian Metal \m/

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
The world may not give a shit about it, but it does exist (inspired by the Ukranian Metal thread).

So, to rattle off some names,

Ne Obliviscaris (www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris) - This is Hubsters review from Metal Archives http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=152048

Belakor (www.myspace.com/belakor) - Stunning Melodic Death Metal

Mournful Congregation (www.myspace.com/mournfulcongregation) - A local band, Funeral doom at its best.

Virgin Black (www.myspace.com/virginblackofficial) - Beyond words, a beautiful mix of doom metal and 19th century classical with the world renowned Adelaide Symphony as back up musicians.

Psycroptic (www.mypsace.com/psycroptic) - Huge in Australia at the moment, progressive death metal.

Empyrean (www.myspace.com/empyreanband) - Impressive Melodic Black Metal, I recommend the song Might I Leave Lonesome.

I have dozens of other bands, will post more later.

Abyssic Hate is the only one for me too. I have Suicidal Emotions.

Someone recommended me another australian band (Power Metal), but I forgot the name.

There are a few well known Australian Power Metal bands, Lord and Black Majesty are probably the better known ones.

Portal are by far the most experimental thing in Australian music at the moment and the most ground breaking but it really is an acquired taste, even by metal standards.

Five Star Prison Cell are my current fave Aussie metal.

I'm also a big Psycroptic fan. Ne Obliviscaris sound pretty cool as well, but I've yet to really give them a proper listen.

Disembowelment were awesome in their day, and Christbait were always a big fave of mine from way back.

Five Star are completely over-rated in my opinion, I am going to go get something to eat at sonic forge when they are playing. Same with Terrorust, not my thing.

Back in the day Cryptal Darkness were a bloody good doom band, shame they disbanded almost five years back.

I think Karnivool is Australia's best Hard Rock/Metal band, I might make a thread about them later, anyway MySpace - http://myspace.com/karnivool

Again, pretty over-rated, Tripple J act like they are the new Messiah and they are good but they are not worth all the fuss people make. I wouldn't call them metal though, they fall pretty solidly into rock, same with C.O.G, a contemporary I compare Karnivool to and when I look at the two I would say C.O.G are more deserving of recognition.

Again, pretty over-rated, Tripple J act like they are the new Messiah and they are good but they are not worth all the fuss people make. I wouldn't call them metal though, they fall pretty solidly into rock, same with C.O.G, a contemporary I compare Karnivool to and when I look at the two I would say C.O.G are more deserving of recognition.

You should download Scarabs by them, it's a very good metal instrumental. I don't believe they're over-rated, their sound is very unique and I admire that in bands.

There are a few well known Australian Power Metal bands, Lord and Black Majesty are probably the better known ones.

Yep. Now I remember, it was Black Majesty.

I have also heard of another band, that released a concept album about dinosaurs. Though, in this case I don't even remember if they were from Australia.

Five Star are completely over-rated in my opinion

How/where are they over-rated? I'm not aware of any large amounts of praise being heaped on them, and as far as I know their new album isn't selling all that well. I stumbled across them on myspace myself. Their new album is the sort of metal I've been looking for for some time - super tech, brutally heavy and twisted as hell. And fucking WELL PRODUCED. So many Aussie bands fall flat in the production department.

Karnivool are a great band as well. While they aren't totally to my taste, they're undeniably good at what they do, and Themata sounds fucking amazing. I can understand all the praise and airplay they're receiving. I wouldn't call them a straight rock band either, they've definitely got metal elements in their sound as well as the whole progressive rock thing.