Australian Metal \m/

You should download Scarabs by them, it's a very good metal instrumental. I don't believe they're over-rated, their sound is very unique and I admire that in bands.

They are a good band, there are just acts with a lot better songwriting, concepts, vocals etc. going around at the moment. Karnivool are worth a moment of your time, they are not Australia's Opeth or Slayer though.

Yep. Now I remember, it was Black Majesty.

I have also heard of another band, that released a concept album about dinosaurs. Though, in this case I don't even remember if they were from Australia.

No idea with the last one but Black Majesty are alright, I have always found them a tad under-produced, however I have heard they are decent live.

How/where are they over-rated? I'm not aware of any large amounts of praise being heaped on them, and as far as I know their new album isn't selling all that well. I stumbled across them on myspace myself. Their new album is the sort of metal I've been looking for for some time - super tech, brutally heavy and twisted as hell. And fucking WELL PRODUCED. So many Aussie bands fall flat in the production department.

Karnivool are a great band as well. While they aren't totally to my taste, they're undeniably good at what they do, and Themata sounds fucking amazing. I can understand all the praise and airplay they're receiving. I wouldn't call them a straight rock band either, they've definitely got metal elements in their sound as well as the whole progressive rock thing.

Five Star are well produced, the praise comes with all the headliners in the underground. Also a lot of the bands fans argue they are the biggest breath of fresh air ever to come out of Australia, they are not, they do a lot of stuff other bands do well. They are heavy, but so are Fuck... I'm Dead.

Karnivool are a good band, I can understand the airplay they are getting, I just think the praise is over-done.

To contribute back to this thread again, these are garage recordings but show a lot of potential.

www.myspace.com/blissandignorance

It is prog metal/rock, a bit like Tool meets NiN with more metal.

Alarum - Prog/jazz/death metal

Paramaecium - excellent death/doom

Mortification - the early stuff was good

Ethereal Scourge - they put out one CD of interesting death metal

Disincarnated - One CD and a demo that I know of (I have both). This is a death metal band which included Rowan London, who went on to form (or be a part of) Virgin Black. Good band!

Horde - black metal aesthetic :)

Myrddraal - Blood on the Mountain is the best thing I've heard from Australia

I don't like that suicidal bullshit.

Classic Rock stations out here play them at least 2x an hour...probably the main reason I cant stomach hearing Hells Bells or Have Drink on Me etc ever again.

Five Star are well produced, the praise comes with all the headliners in the underground. Also a lot of the bands fans argue they are the biggest breath of fresh air ever to come out of Australia, they are not, they do a lot of stuff other bands do well. They are heavy, but so are Fuck... I'm Dead.

Firstly, can you please point me in the direction of some of the other bands from Australia that have done anything like what Five Star are doing? I'm genuinely interested in checking out some similar or comparable bands.

Secondly, Fuck...I'm Dead are a comedy grind band that use a drum machine, so I'm not really getting the comparison there.

if you live near melbourne, it's a gig down the mornington peninsula.

dreadnaughtflyeroh7.jpg