Australian Metal \m/

Firstly, can you please point me in the direction of some of the other bands from Australia that have done anything like what Five Star are doing? I'm genuinely interested in checking out some similar or comparable bands.

Secondly, Fuck...I'm Dead are a comedy grind band that use a drum machine, so I'm not really getting the comparison there.

The Fuck...I'm Dead comparison was because you made a comment about them being Brutal and Heavy, I was just saying that that does not really matter.

It is not so much in Australia, just other bands have put interesting time signitures, dissonant riffs and bizzare vocals into extreme metal in different forms in the past. My argument was never that the band suck, people just thing they are paving a path others will follow. They are not, they are just being intelligent about making noise, like Psycopus or even Portal to a lesser extent as an Australian contemporary.

Bands like Vanishing Point, Alarum and Alchemist are very very good, but my two favs are the following:

1. "To Dimension Logic" by Vauxdvihl, which is easily the best piece of aussie metal i have heard and one of the most inventive, inspired and unique metal albums ever. I adore the other works of the band as well, though they are not really qualified as being metal.

2. The outstanding "Stretch of Imagination" by Taramis which, among others, features some of the most amazing bass lines someone can find in a metal album. Their first one is sweet in a more traditional style, but nowhere near the quality of this.

Alchemist are the biggest band to ever come out of the Australian underground.

Dark Order however are making big waves with some underground press however with their first international release as being the truest representation of the bay area sound since its hey dey.

The Fuck...I'm Dead comparison was because you made a comment about them being Brutal and Heavy, I was just saying that that does not really matter.

You've lost me. I rattled off a bunch of qualities that I like about Five Star's new album, and apparently one of those qualities "does not really matter" because another completely different sounding band also have that quality?

It is not so much in Australia, just other bands have put interesting time signitures, dissonant riffs and bizzare vocals into extreme metal in different forms in the past. My argument was never that the band suck, people just thing they are paving a path others will follow. They are not, they are just being intelligent about making noise, like Psycopus or even Portal to a lesser extent as an Australian contemporary.

I'm aware that there are many overseas bands doing crazy mathcore stuff, I've heard and enjoy most of them. However I think there's something about Five Star's sound that is different to all of them, and that coupled with the fact that there are no other Australian bands playing this style this well, surely leaves them deserving of much praise. To me, they are a breath of fresh air in the Aussie metal scene, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if others follow in their footsteps.

Alchemist are the biggest band to ever come out of the Australian underground.

Dark Order however are making big waves with some underground press however with their first international release as being the truest representation of the bay area sound since its hey dey.
Anybody here heard Austral Alien by Alchemist?

I only have Organasm and need to know how it compares before I buy it.

Spear Of Longinus is the best I've heard from there, few bands are so full of brilliance and insanity. Destroyer 666 is solid, as is Gospel Of The Horns although the new one seems lackluster.

MORTAL SIN ??????

Destroyer 666
Alchemist
Mournful Congregation
Stargazer
Psycroptic
Astriaal
Vaticide
Inslain
Gospel of the Horns
dISEMBOWLMENT
Cruciform

Austral Alien is not better than Organasm. It is more indigenously influenced, more laid back and a bit less alchemic. Organasm is a much more intense aural experience, Austral Alien has a number of moments, but its less enjoyable overall (still a decent album, but not comparable to Organasm and less enjoyable than Lunasphere or Spiritech - in order of how I'd rate them).

You've lost me. I rattled off a bunch of qualities that I like about Five Star's new album, and apparently one of those qualities "does not really matter" because another completely different sounding band also have that quality?

I'm aware that there are many overseas bands doing crazy mathcore stuff, I've heard and enjoy most of them. However I think there's something about Five Star's sound that is different to all of them, and that coupled with the fact that there are no other Australian bands playing this style this well, surely leaves them deserving of much praise. To me, they are a breath of fresh air in the Aussie metal scene, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if others follow in their footsteps.

I would be surprised if a lot of people started doing it, but really it is whatever floats your boat. The Fuck... I'm Dead comparison was a bad one, I admit, I just dont think being Brutal and Heavy is really an admirable quality in a band, it may make me like something more done well but I wont listen to something simply because it is brutal and heavy. And there is another band that plays that wacky tech/math death stuff in Australia, Portal. Portal just put drone amongst other things in their music and really break every boundry set by the genre, not just experiment within it. I will just finish this by saying I never said they are a bad band, I just dont think they are a revolution. Ne Obliviscaris are a revolution, they will broaden black metal and make a name for themselves internationally.

Austral Alien is not better than Organasm. It is more indigenously influenced, more laid back and a bit less alchemic. Organasm is a much more intense aural experience, Austral Alien has a number of moments, but its less enjoyable overall (still a decent album, but not comparable to Organasm and less enjoyable than Lunasphere or Spiritech - in order of how I'd rate them).

everyone is going to enjoy different aspects of alchemist's sound, thats what makes them such a unique band. :)

I would be surprised if a lot of people started doing it, but really it is whatever floats your boat. The Fuck... I'm Dead comparison was a bad one, I admit, I just dont think being Brutal and Heavy is really an admirable quality in a band, it may make me like something more done well but I wont listen to something simply because it is brutal and heavy.

Ok great. I never said anything about just listening to a band simply because they happen to be brutal and heavy, but I'm well over this argument, so whatever.

And there is another band that plays that wacky tech/math death stuff in Australia, Portal. Portal just put drone amongst other things in their music and really break every boundry set by the genre, not just experiment within it. I will just finish this by saying I never said they are a bad band, I just dont think they are a revolution. Ne Obliviscaris are a revolution, they will broaden black metal and make a name for themselves internationally.

Well yes of course the band you like more are a revolution.

I'll be sure to check out Portal. If they're half as good as Five Star I'm sure I'll like them.

They have really cool album art, not that that really matters, but it still :kickass:

l_23e68c87dea430ba06d4c2cd290413e5.jpg

l_091e0f98188e6dfc130e7fd961ad23e7.jpg