Australian sneapsters, what is Australia like ?

akarawd

Aug 30, 2004
www.ogregomixmaster.net
There is a chance that we (me, my wife and child) relocate to a foreign country after the summer and Australia is on the top of our list. I'm currently studying all the laws and trying to absorb any additional info.

I know it's a vague question but what is Australia like ? What are the
major pros and cons ?

Thanks for your time,
Thanos

PS. The story in short :

As most of you know Greece's incompetent politicians have managed to tear to pieces one of the most resourceful countries in the world (gold, oil, uranium, premium agricultural products, sea, scenic beauty etc etc).

Now, at 35, we're forced to sell our house (been working 96hours/week for the past years to pay off the mortgage but people are getting fired by the hour here) and relocate before shit hits the fan and an economic default is declared.

I feel nothing but rage.

I think you could learn to like Australia. We seem to have a large Greek population here, so if you need to feel like you belong there won't be another country man too far away.

I like Australia for the most part. Having become a home owner earlier this year there are some things which shit me to hell and back though. For such a developed country our mainstream technology is behind, health system is working almost at 100% capacity, education system leaves a bit to be desired and as you'll probably find all over the world the lower class citizens and young people can be pretty fucked in the head at times.
The cost of living is growing, it is becoming quite expensive to live within 40 minutes of any majoy City (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, etc), anything produced in the US or EU is expensive..etc etc.

Having said all that, Australia and the oportunities it presented my family has allowed me to own my own home, living and financing it as a single 25 year old, so it can't be all that bad. The good thing about Oz is that there are different states available to cater to you prefered weather conditions. Also, Greece looks like a pretty scary place to live in compared to Oz, so I'm sure you'd like it too.

Good luck dude!

You might be interested in these tourist Q&As:
Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia ? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? ( UK ).

A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? ( USA )

A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q:I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? ( Sweden )

A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay ? ( UK )

A: What did your last slave die of?

Q:Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia ? ( USA )

A: A-Fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe.
Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not
... Oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q:Which direction is North in Australia ? (USA )

A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia ? ( UK )
A:Why? Just use your fingers like we do...

Q:Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? ( USA )

A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is
Oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia ? ( UK )
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q:Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? ( Germany )

A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers.
Milk is illegal.

Q:please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. ( USA )

A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from.
All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q:I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. ( USA )

A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them.
You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q:I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia ? ( USA )

A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia ? ( France )

A: Only at Christmas.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? ( USA )

A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first
:D

Hope you don't mind :) I hope your relocation is troublefree and that you'll be happy.

I've been living there for a year (Western Australia / Perth), and i loved it. Planing to go back early next year and stay there at least a few years, working my job. Are you shure that you are eligible to migrate there? Because its rather hard to get a Visa other than the working holiday. Now, i've only been in Western Australia, which is very different to europe: loooots of space and not that much population. I would advise you to visit australia first, before moving there ;)

I don't mean to hijack your thread but if you want to stay in the Northern Hemisphere how about Canada? Canada is like a cold Australia. Frankly though if you live in southern Ontario or Vancouver it's not even that cold. Similar kind of social/political landscape but without the accent and weird animals. Pretty significant ethnic Greek population in certain areas too. I suppose it depends on your experience, but I haven't had any trouble finding work during the past couple years even in light of the recession.

If you are prepared to go to Aussie why not consider New Zealand?
We are not over populated (yet), low pollution issues, we have a good health system, education is cheap and in some areas university is free! Almost no racial issues at all and we tend to lead the world in certain technologies as we seem to be the 'guinea pigs' for these things. Within the next 18 months most of NZ will have fibe optic internet to the door! Our government are an interesting bunch of people but we do get well looked after for the most part. The weather is very mild, where I live in winter we can get down to like 2 degrees C, not too cold but in summer it is 28 - 34 degrees C so not too hot either.
Worth a though M8.

lol there are a few of us but only because Aussie is so close. I have been over a couple of times and I was suprised how many kiwis I ran into. Its no different to how many asians/indians etc there are here mind you. I have heard the average pay rate is better there but our cost of living is ALOT lower. I rent a beautiful house that was only built in the last 10 years, new everything, on a hill with a beautiful view over the whole city in one of the nicest areas in my city for only $250 NZDL a week. ($194 USD a week)
plus we grow some of the best weed in the world lol:Smokin:

I was born here and spent all my life here. I went to Europe last year for a couple of months and i can honestly say that i wouldn't live anywhere else. Most people i come across are easy going and don't mind having a chat. I've had half hour conversations with complete strangers. But it's got a lot to do with attitude, there's got to be both give and take. It's becoming very multicultural, and as has already been stated there are many groups and communities that can be of support to you. My wife is Italian and told me how her father came to Australia many years ago with only change in his pocket, now he has a big house, family etc. So if you're willing to work hard and play harder i'm sure you will love Austarlia. Also depending on what climate you like the north of Australia is hot and not unbearably humid most of the year, while the south is colder in winter.

I can't thank you enough for your real, every day, down to earth
opinions. I'm taking everything that's been
said into consideration guys, it's such a big step , there's no room for mistakes.

Thanks again,
Thanos