What is TGE about?

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
I was wondering what the whole CD and song of TGE is about? I can't seem to figure it out, something to do with religion and science or pros/cons of both or government? haha sorry I'm not that good at learning about what lyrics say.

Also do any of you know if any of the members of Nevermore are religious or into any spiritual beliefs?

off memory, i'd say

born: society and how we divide ourselves
final product: society, where we are
acid words: dying
bittersweet: religion
sentient: machines
medication nation: addiction to a drug or religion
holocaust: gay marriage
heart for stones: being emo/love ballad
future uncertain: come on
godless endeavour: donnie darko (and life)

edit: oh and psalm is weird. has a lot of biblical elements, reminds me of the mirror black girl/story.

They're pretty complex. Some of the songs are more thematically simplistic, such as Medicated Nation (although still very eloquent) while some have much greater depth of thought. I could say what they've meant to me, but I think that'd cheapen them a little.

If I was to suggest a direction, though, I'd say TGE is not necessarily about Religion or God in the negative sense, nor the even the traditional one. It's more about the lament that God (as an unquantifiable force) is fucking bastardised by some and "naively" dismissed by others.

I'm frequently wrong, though.

I've always interpreted TGE as an indictment toward the mutually exclusive attitude that science and religion have. Science and religion both attempt, in their way, to explain reality. But as science advances, religion becomes less and less dominant, and on the other hand, religion does its best to slow science down as much as it can, with the result that both fields suffer when they could be working together.

off memory, i'd say

born: society and how we divide ourselves
final product: society, where we are
acid words: dying
bittersweet: religion
sentient: machines
medication nation: addiction to a drug or religion
holocaust: gay marriage
heart for stones: being emo/love ballad
future uncertain: come on
godless endeavour: donnie darko (and life)

edit: oh and psalm is weird. has a lot of biblical elements, reminds me of the mirror black girl/story.

is it really about donnie darko?

I was wondering what the whole CD and song of TGE is about? I can't seem to figure it out, something to do with religion and science or pros/cons of both or government? haha sorry I'm not that good at learning about what lyrics say.

Also do any of you know if any of the members of Nevermore are religious or into any spiritual beliefs?

Are you kidding me? Have you HEARD a Nevermore song?

Perhaps you're one of those Scientology folks trying to convert Nevermore to hail Zenu... :zombie:

They're pretty complex. Some of the songs are more thematically simplistic, such as Medicated Nation (although still very eloquent) while some have much greater depth of thought. I could say what they've meant to me, but I think that'd cheapen them a little.

If I was to suggest a direction, though, I'd say TGE is not necessarily about Religion or God in the negative sense, nor the even the traditional one. It's more about the lament that God (as an unquantifiable force) is fucking bastardised by some and "naively" dismissed by others.

I'm frequently wrong, though.

I mostly agree with your idea.

it's about working over night and then praising god when you get home to go to bed... only to have some idiot phone you when you just fell asleep and cannot go back :(

"The children sitting in the trees, they turn to laugh at me"

This always reminded me of flatliners the movie. I need to watch this again.

is it really about donnie darko?
around the period of TGE, dane was spouting off about DD.
the last line of the song is, "the sky has opened". that's from the movie. it's like the chaos born from no belief systems; imo, what's left when you believe in nothing. it also seems to be written kinda of like a letter.

honestly, i see the song as an ode to atheism. a journey from the point of indecision and through to the acceptance of it (atheism). a lot of the lyrics on the album take sardonic and ruthless strikes at christianity. loooves it.

but as will said, these are all our own interpretations. i prefer darkspot's interpretation of heart for stones to mine, for instance.

it's not too hard to interpret what WD says, though. he's an articulate person, not some wannabe poet/intellect. he uses his words to his advantage oftentimes, so you shouldn't miss the point by much.