Autumn Reflection - Video shoot journal (with photos!)

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
Wednesday, May 10th 2006
We left Chicago by airplane, and arrived in Ft. Myers Florida at around noon. Instantly walking off the plane, we felt the humidity of Florida. The weather we just left in Chicago was cool and breezy, so the instant heat was a shock to the system. We headed out to the office to meet with the director Tony, and his wife Ashley. Other crew members Dave and Mike we're already working on lighting the inside sets for Saturday and Sundays upcoming shoot. We spent the next few hours going over story boards, and the shooting schedule, and going over all the last minute details before the shoot began on Thursday. We were then brought to the location we were staying. Our lodging was in Ft. Myers Beach, in a beach cottage overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. From the screened in back porch, the gulf was amazingly beautiful, and peaceful. We we're given the warning, to beware of the Fire Ants... (More on these later)

beach1.jpg

We ate dinner at a local bar and grill called Beach Combers. We met a 2 man band, playing acoustic guitar, called The Oysters. Amazing guys, and very talented.

Thursday, May 11th 2006
We had a call time of 9 AM for wardrobe and makeup (I know, I know... STAGE makeup, not poser makeup.) The exterior shooting location was on private property in a wide open 25 acre field. It was here the external sets were assembled as needed. The heat and humidity on this day was the worst of the week. It reached 96 with a 87% humidity, making it feel more like 110. The heat was incredible, and wearing multiple layers of clothing, and in all black in an empty field, I started to wonder why I enjoy torturing myself so much!

brooke1.jpg

We met Brooke, the young actress who is the main character in the video. She was joined on set by her parents, and brother, and we all were put into an air conditioned RV between takes. Watching the amazing crew of about 20 people, building and setting up scenes for the shots, I have a tremendous amount of respect for everything that goes into each and every scene of a movie, or video. The care in lighting details, placement, camera angles... and to see it all come together was humbling.

set1.jpg

As far as what was shot on this day, all of the sweeping, and more complicated camera movements were shot using a crane, and a separate crew to operate it. Keep in mind, this video is more of a 6 minute movie, and very different then anything out there now. I'm really being careful as to not give away too may surprises just yet. Even the photos are pretty vague. All I can say, is picture the artwork in the CD booklet to come alive.

set2.jpg

The day was long, and miserable heat took our energy away, and we knew sleep would be needed, and soon. In perfect Novembers Doom fashion, the air conditioning in the Beach cottage was not working, making the night quite difficult to sleep in the house. We stayed in and ate frozen Pizzas, being wiped out from the heat. We called it a night, to attempt sleep. It didn't work for me.

set3.jpg

Friday, May 12th 2006
A call time of 10 am, we arrived to the outdoor set location once again for our morning wardrobe and set makeup ritual. Our makeup artist was also named Brooke, so we had big brooke and little brooke on set. Big Brooke and the band formed an instant bond, and we relied on her to make us ugly bastards look presentable. She's basically a magician!

Todays shots we're close ups, and far away distance shots, many of which using the exterior of the cabin, scarecrows, and fencing. A few stand out moments of the day, the recreation of the artwork for Swallowed by the moon was just creepy as hell, and today I did my first vocal lines for the video. The temperature was lower today, near 88, and the humidity was down, so this was a more comfortable day to shoot in.

brooke2.jpg

Each guy in the band has his own solo scene, where they have a specific task, either playing thee guitar, or being part of a scene. These were all shot today, and then the big moment, the collapsing of the cabin! An amazing sight to be seen. So metal, and huge, an injury was bound to happen. Alix, another kick ass female crew member, was hurt when ropes crushed her hands, and removed a few layers of skin, when the weight of the cabin dragged her off her feet, after wrapping the rope around her hands for a better grip. The cabin falls away from her, and pulled her down fast. In serious pain, what do you think she says? "How was it? Did it look awesome?" The answer was YES.

A second injury would occur when a crew member dropped a sand bag on top of a fire ant nest. Within 20 seconds, his hand and arm we're swarmed upon, and the fire ants attacked his skin. These little bastards are fast, aggressive, and hurt like acid. In the end, everyone was OK, thankfully!

Some bad news came for me by cell phone, hearing that my daughter back home came down with pneumonia. It certainly freaked me out being so far away from home, and really depressed me. (She's much better already!)

We wrapped just as the sun was going down, making another long and warm day. We headed back to Beach Combers, where we sat with The Oysters again, and they invited us to play on their equipment the following night if we wanted. Back at home, we enjoyed the amazing breeze coming in the from the gulf, cooling the house down, and finally giving us an amazing nights sleep.

Saturday, May 13th 2006
This was going to be a better day, and our last day of shooting with us, as this was all interior shooting, in studio. Today was focused on extreme close ups, so our magician Big Brooke, once again needed to work in high gear to pretty up our ugly asses. Actually, her job is quite opposite. She needed to dirty us up... You'll understand when you see it all complete! Lots of close ups, green screen shots, more vocal additions, some guitar, more solo sections... Lots of great stuff going on today. Little brooke had some amazing scenes shot as well. Her look is perfect for this, and she's really a talented young lady.

Shooting was smooth, and this was easily the most relaxing day so far. We invited the crew to join us at Beach combers once again for a sort of wrap party, since our parts completed that day.

Much of the crew joined us, and those who drink, drank PLENTY. We were met by a journalist from the UK, who runs a metal webzine. He knew of us, and was thrilled we walked in. Unexpected and really a nice guy. He joined us with our "party." Things got loud, and we all had an amazing time. At one point, Larry and Joe took over the stage and began to play some acoustic covers from Kiss, the Cure... Lots of fun. I joined the guys on stage for a killer rendition of Kiss's COLD GIN, and my semi drunk ass had fun. At the end of the evening, we took to the stage one last time, only this time performing a clean toned version of 'Autumn Reflection' for the crew. It actually sounded cool and the crew was happy we did it for them! An impromptu Novembers Doom performance in Ft. Myers Beach.

We needed to get some sleep, as we were flying home on Sunday.

Sunday, May 14th
We packed up, and cleaned the cottage, and it allowed us enough time to stop in the studio for an hour before we had to leave, seeing little Brooke shoot more internal cabin scenes. It was all her day.

Leaving was actually difficult for me. On one hand, I couldn't wait to get back home and see my sick daughter, but on the other had, It seems to have ended quickly. Everyone we met that worked on this video is so dedicated to this, and having it come out amazing, I have been humbled. We've made many new friends this week, and people we plan on keeping in contact with for a long time to come.

crew1.jpg

I wish we can show you more then these pictures, and it will take a couple months before editing and effects, but believe me, it will be worth it in the long run!

The other guys will join in, and fill in some spots I'm sure I left out. Feel free to join in on this conversation. Questions? We'll do our best to answer, as long as it doesn't give away too much. We want you to be surprised, and blown away by this.

Great post Paul, really interesting read. Never knew music videos took days to film. Can't wait to see the final product! Are you guys gonna put it on the ND site when its done?

This is exciting news. I have said it before that Autumn Reflection is the type of song that could break ND open to new audiences. Looking forward very much to the final product.

I think most music videos can be shot in 2 days or less. Hell, we shot the video for Pale Haunt in 4 hours. Like I said, this will be much different then most music videos. It was filmed with a film crew. No digital, all old school grainy film, several takes of each shot, and some takes could take anywhere from 25 minutes to 2 hours to set up for one 15 second shot.

The crew used for this job all have worked on major productions. Our set manager works on Survivor (among countless other projects,) and the prop/effects/set builder works on motion pictures. His last was that Sara Jessica Parker film, Failure to Launch, along with the SciFi flick Mammoth.

Tony, the director of the project, had the vision to make this watch like a movie. No quick MTV style edits, but much more dramatic, off time camera speeds, and angles with longer cuts. I learned a lot about the process of a TV or film production this week, and it's really amazing stuff!

Yea, it always amazes me to watch those behind the scenes specials for major motion pictures. It blows my mind how for some action movies, a 5 second scene can take days to prepare.

Sounds like you guys had an amazing experiece, which is awesome.

The world doesn't need another black and white video of a band playing in an abandoned warehouse!!! :lol: I am sure most bands have at least one video like that, but it has been done so many times!!!

OMG this is gonna rule. great song selection for the next video

holy crap paul, you did pale haunt in a few hours!? sick. crazy that you got such a professional crew, this is gonna be an amazing video. i always thought videos took a long time to set up and do everything, unless they were just the band playing a song, but even that i'd assume takes a few different shots and editing time.

best of luck with the video.

Zmetallica: Yeah the "Pale Haunt" video was done in one day basically. However to give credit where it's due, the company that helped film and produce that video did spend alot of time finding the location, planning the set-up, etc. So there was plenty of pre-production work that went on, it's just that the actual filming only took one day to do. And really, I think it might've been longer had we not all been freezing our collective balls off in 0 degree weather! We were in a major hurry to get it done with haha

As for the "Autumn Reflection" shoot, it was absolutely fantastic. I cannot rave enough about what great people were involved in the making of this video. Every single person involved was professional and courteous and great to be around. It sounds like I'm kissing major ass here, haha, but I mean everything I say. I was genuinely disappointed to be going home when we did, not because of the nice weather or anything, but simply because I wanted to spend more time with the people involved and I enjoyed the hell out of the whole creative process. We can't even take much credit for the way this video is going to turn out, because in truth we had the easiest jobs of anyone involved. This crew spent hours and hours planning and preparing and setting up the shots and lights and props and everything, with very little rest and relaxation for themselves. And everyone that I talked to told me that their main motivation for their hard work was because they believed in the project and had high hopes for the end result, not because of the paycheck or whatever. They were doing it for the love of it, and for that I hold them in high regards.

The pics that Paul posted of a couple of shots from the shoot, don't even begin to give you an idea of what this video is going to look like. Frankly, it's hard to put into words what this is going to look like. If all goes according to plan, this is going to look quite different from most videos I've ever seen, or at least what I see out there right now. Even though our portion of involvement in the process of making this video is done, there's still a ton of work to be done yet, editing and cgi and special fx shots, and so on. I can't believe how much work they're putting into this video, for a song I wrote.

I have some pics of my own from the trip, that I'll be posting soon when I have time. It's been pretty hectic since I got back home so I haven't really had the time to post my full review of the trip and pics and all that shit. I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

Hopefully soon we'll have some news regarding some tentative future plans we've been discussing, that involve these music videos we're making. If we can make it happen, it's something I'll be pretty excited and pleased to announce, so here's hoping.

Without a doubt, this video shoot goes down as one of the top 5 highlights in my time in this band. Like Larry said, I already miss the crew, and wish we had more time with everyone. I learned so much about film in 5 days, I have gained a huge amount of respect for the craft. The dedication and desire of everyone who worked on this to turn something we wrote into a visual piece is humbling. This is one of the most personal songs I have ever written lyrically, and to have this accompany it, is something I will cherish forever.

Thanks for the update and pics. That photo of Paul standing behind the crib is already creepy, and that's in the nice sunshine with crew members standing around and no post-production! The final product is really going to be interesting.

I'm glad you guys got the chance to do this.

Ken

Novembers Paul said:
I wish we can show you more then these pictures, and it will take a couple months before editing and effects, but believe me, it will be worth it in the long run!

The other guys will join in, and fill in some spots I'm sure I left out. Feel free to join in on this conversation. Questions? We'll do our best to answer, as long as it doesn't give away too much. We want you to be surprised, and blown away by this.

Months????:err:

2? 3? 50?

Seems like a long time, considering TPHD video was available relatively short time after being shot....of course, I have absolutely no knowledge of CGI or any other video aspects of anything....

But I guess my main question is will we see it before you go into studio to record "T.N.R.", or after? The reason I ask is that after recording TPHD, that is all we talked about here in the forum. If the video comes out after the recording, then I assume you guys will be giving us a few tidbits from that too, no? Things could be quite exciting here rather shortly....:)

The "autumn reflection" video will be out long before the next cd is released.

This video overall is a much much bigger production than the previous video. That's why it's going to take much longer for it to be ready.

Whether or not this video will come out before we start recording the new disc, I don't know. I'm guessing that it won't be ready until at least around the time we're finishing up the recording (which should be early July). But ultimately, the video will be done,as they say, when it's done. The production team are going to take their time and really do it right, so however long that takes, so be it.

I can't wait to see the video,it all sounds so exciting,are you guys gonna make it available on your website or will it only possible to see it on television,or I dunno,if it's the latter,I doubt it will be shown on Dutch tv,since they hardly show any metal around here,I guess I have to put my hopes on the one hour of rock at MTV...

Aside from MTV and FUSE, which may or may not show this video, there's something like 60 or more different local hard rock/metal oriented video programs on cable in the U.S. Aside from that, we'll also be sending our videos to Candlelight in Europe and we'll see if they're able to get us some airplay over there too. Eventually these videos will be released on DVD as well.

Even having your video played on the internet isn't too shabby, really. When we put out the last video, in the first couple of days it was on the 'net, we had thousands of hits for it. Having your video shown on a program like Headbangers Ball is awesome for sure, but it's nice having it online too where anyone in the world with a computer can download the video and watch it whenever they want.

Anyways, we'll get this video out to as many outlets as possible. There should be almost no excuse for not being able to view this video in some way or another when all is said and done.

I agree it is a shame when a band creates a killer video but few get to see it. Like on those Nuclear Blast DVDs, there are so many greatly produced videos that very few get to see. Maybe in Europe metal gets better airplay on TV, I am not sure.

Here in Chi-Town there are a couple local cable stations like JBTV and that one guy Maniac Marc or something (Really hyper bigger guy - Some may know who I am talking about).

I don't have cable and miss out on most videos unless they are posted on the net. Even then, I get annoyed with "internet quality". I wish Headbanger's Ball or FUSE would have some sort of DVD subscription where you could receive a DVD in the mail every month with all the new metal videos that came out. I'm surprised that no one offers anything like this...

Sweden and Norway both have one hour metal programs once or twice a week (ZTV). I've seen, a lot of videos there of questionable quality, so if you send your music to candlelight then I'm positive that they will air it, especially since your video is going to be of high production value.
Did you send your other video to candlelight? Can't say that I've seen it on television over here.