Autumn Reflection - Video shoot journal (with photos!)

Jasonic said:
I agree it is a shame when a band creates a killer video but few get to see it. Like on those Nuclear Blast DVDs, there are so many greatly produced videos that very few get to see. Maybe in Europe metal gets better airplay on TV, I am not sure.

Here in Chi-Town there are a couple local cable stations like JBTV and that one guy Maniac Marc or something (Really hyper bigger guy - Some may know who I am talking about).

Mark Mensching on rock hard video. I sold that guy Hot Wheels cars when I was working at Toys R Us a few years back lol.

BalanceofPower said:
Mark Mensching on rock hard video. I sold that guy Hot Wheels cars when I was working at Toys R Us a few years back lol.

Yeah, that's the dude!!! I think that guy lives in that one OZZY shirt he always wears.... :lol: Was it the Toys R Us on the corner of Golf and Milwaukee? My brother got fired from there back in the day!!!

We used to go there early in the morning on the day when new wrestling or Star Wars figures came out!! Many of my toys came from there.

History repeats itself. I have gotten toys for my daughter there as well.

Jasonic said:
Yeah, that's the dude!!! I think that guy lives in that one OZZY shirt he always wears.... :lol: Was it the Toys R Us on the corner of Golf and Milwaukee? My brother got fired from there back in the day!!!

We used to go there early in the morning on the day when new wrestling or Star Wars figures came out!! Many of my toys came from there.

History repeats itself. I have gotten toys for my daughter there as well.

This is off topic. Start a new thread about your Toy-R-Us adventures if you wish, but not in this thread please.

Okay people keep asking for my pics and stuff about the trip....I don't have too much different to share than what Paul posted, but I'll dig out some here and maybe post some sillier ones. I don't want to post too many from the shoot itself so as not to give too much away yet....

So we arrived that wednesday, and after a meeting with the film crew and it's director, we went and got settled at the beach house. As you see Paul and Joe wasted little time in getting comfortable and kicking back with beers.

100_2572.jpg

This is the view from the back porch. Lots of trees, and beach, and the Gulf Of Mexico. It was relaxing and amazing to be able to wake up to this sight every day.

100_2580.jpg

Paul and Vito didn't waste much time getting down to the beach. I followed shortly after and snapped this pic of them. Paul is doing his best hulkish-sea-creature pose here, I think.

100_2584.jpg

Unfortunately, wednesday was the only day we really had to enjoy the beach and it's surroundings, as the next few days we're all business, so to speak. Here is Paul sitting down for the first time to receive his "makeup". We didn't have any idea that we'd be wearing makeup, much less this crazy dark evil terrorist looking makeup, haha.....on film it comes off much differently, we found out. But it was a shock at first, needless to say.

100_2603.jpg

The RV they used for the band and crew was nice but small when you'd wind up with ten or more people hanging around inside. We've toured under much tighter conditions, so it wasn't a big deal to us! Of course we teased Joe that the dress was part of his wardrobe for the video. As usual, he was not amused at all...

100_2607.jpg

This is a shot of one of the equipment trucks, that carried mostly lights and stuff like that. These guys worked their asses off all day (and night) setting up and tearing down these lights and props.

100_2608.jpg

Another shot of the crew setting up lights and stuff, in a different section of the land we used for the film shoot. I felt bad sitting in the air conditioned RV all day while these guys busted their asses doing all this work. Unfortunately we were pretty much ordered to stay inside and out of the sun as much as possible, so we didn't wind up getting sunburned, but also because all of our makeup would melt off faster than a nazi's face staring at the ark of the covenant! Not to mention the hordes upon hordes of flying insects that would swarm all around you in an instant. Luckily they weren't vicious or anything. They basically would fly and fuck, and die. That's it!

100_2609.jpg

So one thing we noticed when driving to the film site, was that there were herds of cattle everywhere. That was pretty much to be expected, but what caught our eye was the fact that every one of these cows had their own duck. Literally, for each cow we saw, there'd be a duck standing right next to it, or walking with it, quacking away. It looked to me like something straight out of a cartoon. It was explained to us that these ducks hang out with these cows because the ducks eat the bugs and stuff that the cows attract and dig up with their hoofs when they walk. I made a mission out of trying to get a pic of these cow/duck pairs. We spotted one herd of them on the way home after a day of shooting, and attempted to snap a pic. As soon as Joe and I approached them, the ducks all took off into the air in a flurry. We were pretty bummed not to be able to get our pic. But the cows looked much more bummed. In fact, they looked downright pissed. Ever seen a pissed off cow? Well I hurried back across the highway to the car, but Joe was stuck by the pasture due to trucks and cars coming down the road. These cows started to get fuckin' restless man, mooing and shuffling around agitatedly. I snapped a pic because it looked too damn funny. Check out the one cow to the left of Joe in this pic.....he looks fucking evil (the cow, that is). Look at how he is checking out Joe with an evil stare, hahaha

100_2615.jpg

After a couple of days of shooting on location outside, the rest of our shots were done inside the film studio. It was quite a relief to be indoors again (especially for the crew I'm sure!) We hung out in the one office listening to metal while waiting for our individual shots to be set up. Originally, the director Tony wanted Paul to wear a top hat in one scene. Paul basically flat out refused, as he is not much of a "hat guy". Especially top hats haha Out of necessity to just keep ourselves busy during set up times, we each dressed up in the hat and other miscellaneous props lying around. Here Joe tries on the hat, but it was much too big for his little head!

100_2619.jpg

Here's me, either trying to do my best Tom Petty impersonation, or Gary Oldman from Bram Stoker's Dracula. Basically I just look like a metal hick in a top hat and a Rush t-shirt, heh.

100_2620.jpg

Paul finally was persuaded to try on the hat. You can see why he decided against donning it for the video!

100_2624.jpg

Here is Vito posing with a book he excitedly found on one of Tony's bookshelves. Why is he excited? Because he found entries about the CARNOSAUR films in there. He points to them both with the metal sign. He's hopeless, lol.....

100_2626.jpg

Okay, I'll post more in another entry here.....

Great pics Larry! I love this thread!

ps thats a very cool studio,I dig the leatherface figure and Blue Velvet poster :)

The trip was awesome. Other than the humidity and more sunlight than my pale self is used to, I loved the whole thing. I would love to go back down there, if only just to hang out with the crew again. They were all such good people, I can't state that enough.

Okay I'll post the rest of the pics now....

PART TWO-

So as I said in the previous post, we were basically entertaining ourselves during the waiting periods while filming. Tony had lots of cool things hanging around. I came across this rather twisted George W. mask and decided to put it on for a while. Sunglasses and all. When production staff or whomever walked into the office to give us information about the next shot, I sat and talked and listened to them with this mask on, playing it straight the whole time. It was interesting to see how long they could keep a straight face while trying to talk business to me when I looked like such a jerkoff, lol.

100_2628.jpg

Here's a pic Joe snapped of Brooke the makeup artist. She was proudly displaying her t-shirt. Her boyfriend is a musician, and ironically, he's originally from the same area that Paul grew up in (Berwyn, Illinois) and we knew alot of the same people and bands. Amazing how you can travel so many miles and wind up meeting people like that. It really is a small world. I should add, Brooke was awesome, she really made our time that much more fun by joking around with us and being a good sport for our gags and behavior.

100_2629.jpg

On the last day of filming (for us at least...the crew still had days more shots to do), we all went out to a local bar called Beachcombers I think. We'd already been there a couple of nights before, and we met a cool acoustic duo comprised of two guys who are veterans of the southern rock scene, Bryce and Joe. Bryce used to play with BLACKFOOT, which I was totally stoked about because I love them and I love Southern Rock (nobody would have guessed that by looking at me, right?) Bryce and Joe now front a southern rock band called TRIBAL TONGUE (www.tribaltongue.com) and if you're into that kind of stuff, it's pretty cool. Anyhow they turned out to be very cool and friendly guys and they played great, so we decided to go there on our last night for a good time "wrap party". A handful of the film crew guys and gals showed up to party with us, and it wound up being a real blast. Here in this next shot, Tony and one of his head crew guys, Chris, get all gay for a laugh. The damn camera flash got in the way (or is that just a magical spark between them? LOL) They're gonna kill me for posting this pic!

100_2630.jpg

Chris didn't go unnoticed by the local females, who kept coming up and shmoozing him and buying him drinks. Everyone was a bit envious but more than anything we were getting a good laugh at his expense, poor guy! In this next pic, Becker is doing his best to supress a laugh while Chris nearly gets led astray by some boardy wench in the background...

100_2631.jpg

More of the crew, having some drinks and smiling!

100_2633.jpg

We ate heartily and some of us (excluding myself) imbibed in large amounts of alcohol! Here we see Paul, feeling good, trying to just kick back and have a good time......how many drinks have you had here at this point, Paul? haha I should've known he was well-soused when he jumped up on stage with Joe and I to sing "Cold Gin" by KISS with us haha It was really nice of the guys to let us use their stage to play a few oldies, as well as an acoustic version of "Autumn Reflection"!

100_2634.jpg

Tony and Paul get metal for the camera!

100_2635.jpg

Joe Nunez and Dave, the head lighting guy from Detroit, show their metal.

100_2636.jpg

Pretty soon, it was getting late and we had more or less taken over the bar as most people either went home or more than likely fled in fear of us haha Here's a group shot taken from the stage of the whole hairy evil lot of us!

100_2637.jpg

Here we appear to be trying to outmetal each other with poses lol Joe and I seem to be going for a "Venom circa 1983" vibe, I think.

100_2638.jpg

Ultimately the trip was over alot quicker than we'd have wished for. After one last visit at the film studio to say goodbyes and everything, we rushed off to the airport, and as usual sat around for two hours for our flight to board. Here, Paul looks on bemusedly as Vito does his best "Yo Joe!" thumbs up which he's so infamous for now hehe, and Joe finds other things to focus his attention on, as per usual.

100_2640.jpg

One last shot, from my window seat on the plane, high above the clouds somewhere over the southern states, heading back to a cold and rainy Chicago. I was glad to be home with my Jess and my cat, but the trip was quite an experience and I can't wait 'til we can get back down there, perhaps for another video shoot, or to play a concert, or just to hang out. Here's hoping all our friends down there survive safely throughout this years hurricane season!!

100_2641.jpg

Fuck I want to go back to Florida now. To much fun was had on that trip. We have alot of great memories to look back on now, I'm glad we were able to do this and have an amazing time doing it. The crew was fantastic to work with and hang out with. I can't wait till everyone gets to see this video.

Novembers Paul said:
Post the video of the hat dance. LOL

Yeah or put it on the upcoming dvd as an easter egg ;)

wish you guys filmed the acoustic songs you played that would make a nice dvd extra.

My two cents~

Having a phone call saying.... "Hey, Novembers Doom shoot. Concept video on film of course... You in?"

You are damn well right I was in. Having been the case and wandering thru the Ft. Myers airport waiting on a ride to the office and studio, I was well aware that a lot of preproduction had already taken place and this was going to be a vacation for me rather then work or a job. Got the ride from Saw, met up with his wonderful wife and producer and found myself meeting up with Becker again. What a priveledge on every account. Truely a priveledge.

Sat about with Tony and went thru camera filtration, saw set pieces constructed and of course went thru some test shots with the filtration decided upon. Had "Autumn Reflection on about 11 and sat about trying to come up with some ideas as far as lighting plots were concerned for both location as well as interiors. At least for the master shots as I figured it would be wise to get at least Saw and I as well as the unknown electrics on the same page. My unknown electrics kicked out the jams and will be hired again for certain. Thank you Kelly and Geoff!

Having been said, the band shows up and here I am in the middle listening to ideas, concepts and thoughts based on what was wanted and expected. Truely a joy as everyone was able to get on the same page and knew what we had gone over earlier would work........at least it better had!

Crew was spectacular and the production design team and art dept. gave us a wealth of work to add light or subtract light from. I've always said as being involved with lighting exclusively that the production dept. gives you something fantastic and all your worth has to go in to making that art come to life. I have to say that what we came up with will work without question. Finally, a Director of Photography with an eye for composure, ideas, never an instant of not wanting to try something different just for the sake of film making. Prime work Saw~

The band for all that haven't had the chance to meet...? Amazing clowns from Chicago that love being musicians, love a good laugh and have a wealth of knowledge that far surpasses just being in another band. Novembers Doom made the crew and project less of a job and more of a vacation for everyone involved and I can only hope, speaking only as the head of the lighting dept. that we make you all and your fans proud of what we involved ourselves with. This concept video should be far beyond what you have ever seen before and hopefully will blow all other videos out of the water...

Cheers ND, thanks Saw for another opportunity to make something amazing and to be proud of and thanks crew for being simply a gem to work with and for. You all know who you are...

No comments on the "shared lick" pic of Saw and Chris. HUGE props on the '83 Venomish pic! Another beer or two and some stories and laughs need to be had in the future for certain. Simply has to be had again.

Paul, Larry, Vito and Joe~ Thank you for being loud and giving the lighting dept. something to be proud of. Gretchen at "The French Connection" ~ Thanks for the cold vodka :worship:

Cheers,
shadowlit
Chief Lighting Technician for Cage XXI Enterprises, Inc.

Larry, there is a pinball game over yonder with your name on it!
EDIT: I see this page don't like my NINJA profile pic! Go figure

Hahahaha, so even in tropical heat, Vito STILL wears that ND hoodie!! :lol:

Mega cool points awarded to Joe for that kick ass Motorhead button down! I want one of those. You can look "dress up" and "metal" at the same time!

What a great thread. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen bands saying how much they hate making a video for various reasons but it sounds like you had a blast. The crew sound like they were amazing and I can't wait to see this video.