Avant-Garde metal fans here?

JosephAcevedo

Jul 31, 2005
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
Specifically fans of Sigh or Unexpect?

The new Sigh - Hangmans Hymn is a fucking masterpiece.

Has anybody heard Unexpect? if you haven't heard this band you are TRULY missing out!!! I think this band could be a GREAT oddball for progpower. They have clean vocals, and are progressive and technical.

need more info .... www.metal-archives.com

I've been addicted to uneXpect for about a month now - and I can't stop listening to 'In A Flesh Aquarium.' I've debated about making a post here bubbling with my overblown enthusiasm, but thankfully Joseph rescued the board from my giddy ramblings. Justin: you may know what I'm talking about.

I've noticed a topic here and there on Unexpect but overall they don't seem to be mentioned much here. I really enjoy them. Unfortunately, I'm missing out on a few chances to see them. They opened for Virgin Black in NYC a few weeks ago which I found out too late and are playing The Webster Underground soon which is 2 hrs away but it's a weekday. They're also opening for Epica/Visions of Atlantis in NYC but it's a Sunday. They're playing the Rock & Shock Festival at the Palladium the week after PP on a Monday.
I'm already taking off so many vacation days that it'll pretty much be impossible for me to manage another one.
They're also playing After Forever on some Canada dates. A shame none of those consist of Montreal.

Depends on what is considered avant-garde metal, but I tend to like weird stuff.

Devil Doll is not classified metal, but it is brilliant.

Btw, Mr. Doctor was one of the stars of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Smeagol.jpg

Grabbed an unexpect album before and thought it was terrible.

It does take some time to grasp - the inherent zaniness and rapidly switching directions in the music threw me off so much at first I thought it was crap and they didn't know how to write a song. Now, of course, I come from a different perspective. I'd recommend giving it several more listens with the cliche 'open-mind,' and perhaps following the rhythm section (instead of the customary vocals as a lead into a song) to gain a grasp of the work.

Hi to all,
some weeks ago a new site has opened with lots of information about avant-garde metal bands:

http://www.avantgarde-metal.com

So for all who are seeking some more experi-metal bands this is definitely a great place to visit.