AVID Pro Tools 10 & new hardware!

Yeah I upgraded to 9 less than three months ago, really hard to justify another $299 already... Apparently the Complete Production Toolkit allows non-HD users to use the RAMdisk functionality, where you can commit your entire session to your computer's RAM, which would be awesome, but that Toolkit is $2k!

Also, question—the new 32-bit float option (when creating a session) doesn't mean that you actually need to record files at 32-bits, but basically means that all the plug-ins in your session do 32-bit processing on all the (presumably 24-bit) audio, correct? Are there even any A/D boxes out there that let you record at 32-bits?

I just find this so weird. 9 barely had any time to stretch its legs, and now we're already at 10? Anyone else getting deja vu from the Vista/Windows 7 situation?

The upgrade from 9 should be more in the realm of $50...

I just find this so weird. 9 barely had any time to stretch its legs, and now we're already at 10? Anyone else getting deja vu from the Vista/Windows 7 situation?

The upgrade from 9 should be more in the realm of $50...

I definitely agree with this, 9 hasn't been out long enough for them to push out a new version. And I see what your saying about the windows similarity but thank god pro tools 9 is nothing like the vista crap :)

Anyway, despite my feeling that the 9 to 10 crossgrade is much overpriced, the functionality I gained in 9 has made my life so much easier...so I don't feel at all bummed about "merely" having 9 right now.

^^^ Agreed. I'm still on the honeymoon with PT9. The real time fades and the clip gain all seem cool, but I just bought a new iphone. And I need a new pre-amp. There will be quite a few things in line before this upgrade. I'd pay $100 for it, but if it stays this price I'll be waiting a while.

I have ADC and session import features, so I'm a happy camper.

Anyway, nobody said you have to upgrade today...some of us have upgraded to pt9 just few months ago (1 year after it came out) so... :)
I wouldn't upgrade a software the first day after the release anyway, because I wanna be sure it doesn't have bugs

I want it badly!!!
Amazing that they've moved from 9.05 to 10 in one go.... Whatever
Yeah, aint exactly a cheap upgrade, consifering I only bought 9 6 months ago!

The funny thing is how 9 wasn't even a real update imo, because they just implemented basic features every single DAW on the fucking market already offered. And now the same crap again. This should've really been 9.1, or better yet this should have been PT 9.0 when it came out - especially the HD users got fucked with 9 and now with 10 again. ($1000 Upgrade!)

The features are cool and helpful and everything but they're not "new features" at all if you have ever used another DAW. That's why I really want PT10 but really don't want to shell out 300 dollars.

hatereagle.jpg

Anyway, despite my feeling that the 9 to 10 crossgrade is much overpriced, the functionality I gained in 9 has made my life so much easier...so I don't feel at all bummed about "merely" having 9 right now.

Yeah agreed mate...
This as far as I'm concerned should be 9.1 and sure as hell shouldn't cost this fucking much. Cool as it looks.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software/

What’s new

Speed up editing and mixing with Clip Gain, and easily adjust and match gain levels, pre-mixer
Use multiple audio formats in a session—including interleave—without file duplication
Record and master higher resolution sound with more headroom in 32-bit floating-point format
Get great responsiveness on slower hard drives with the enhanced disk handler
Record in low-latency mode, with direct monitoring when using third-party audio interfaces
Get the sound of System 5 console EQ and dynamics with the Avid Channel Strip plug-in
Get access to over 500 additional Pro Tools commands when using EUCON controllers (watch the video)
Work more easily with AudioSuite-rendered clips with reverse processing, handles, and more (watch the video)
Create extra long-format projects for sequential versioning with the extended 24-hour timeline
Open fade-heavy sessions faster and get better responsiveness with real-time fades
Export mixes directly to SoundCloud to share and promote your music to the world

+ the AAX format plugin and new HDX card.

DEFINITELY not worth being a full number upgrade. If the DAW would've finally been 64-bit, then it would've been a major upgrade. But it's not. Also wtf with the clip gain being advertised as the major groundbreaking new feature? That functionality has been in almost similar way in Cubase since... pretty much forever? And only one new bundled plugin?

Because I got my PT9 as a student version I get a free upgrade for this :) Looks like there's some cool new features. Interested in trying out the Avid channel strip.

Where can I find the press confrence? Doesn't seem to be on the Avid site.