Awesome Covers

Carpe Mortem

Benevolently Batshit
Aug 21, 2013
I couldn't find a thread.... i.e. I gave up after five pages of search results going back to the birth of the site.

I love covers, especially when a non-metal song is made metal. The more well-known the original song, the better. Shit doesn't even have to be musical marvelous, just entertaining.

Post some of the best. These are the first that come to my mind this frosty morning, and I'm sure there are better I can't think of:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint: If the youtube link doesn't even have the name of the band and just says 'metal version', it's probably garbage. But kudos on that Animals cover.

Type O has excellent covers:

Also found this, which I didn't know about, guess Type O and Deep Purple OFFICIALLY released a split together. Fun facts.

Man I really need to check out more Voivod and Mekong Delta. Adding them to the queue right now.

I'm not sure released a split together is the right way to word that. Peter had been dead for 3 years when that was released and it's just an old deep purple song and TON's cover of it, done ten years earlier.

They'd need permission to put DP's original song on there though, wouldn't they?

Reverend Bizarre does some decent ones.

Absu's Morbid Scream covers are nice, but they're practically Absu songs to me, as I've never heard Morbid Scream.

Cirith Ungol's Bachian solo is cute, I suppose.

Man, metal covers are pretty lame overall.

And even though most of Maiden's covers are B-sides and afterthoughts...

actually liked this…

Edit: Anything by Powerglove! They covered Inspector Gadget which was awesome too… but who doesn't like castlevania?

Gonna def be taking a listen to these when I don't have a sleeping bear next to me. Gotta add to the list Flametal cover of gates of babylon, self explanatory project of metal gone flamenco. That one in particular is fuckin beautiful I'll update eith a link for the lazy later.

Also I disagree that metal covers suck, generic metal covers do but if talent touches it then gold it becomes.

An oldie that has not been mentioned yet:

Therion's Les Fleurs du Mal is an entire album of covers of French pop songs from the 60's and 70's; here's one the best songs:

Blind Guardian's Mr. Sandman, feat. evil clowns: