Awesome new prog outfit...Alien X!!

X fan

New Metal Member
Nov 10, 2005
Hey guys, just thought I would let you know about a new Aussie prog outfit called Alien X. Their sound is a mixture of Dream Theater, Symphony X and a bit of Liquid Tension to boot!! However with Alien X the emphasis is not only on great musicianship but on great melodies as well!! Check them out at...

www.alienx.biz

The samples dont really do the album justice but these guys are truly something unique!!

Instead of putting 20 second samples of each song, i would rather them to put a whole sample song. I am not impressed at what i've heard. But it's their promotional choice that i respect.

Xymphony said:
Instead of putting 20 second samples of each song, i would rather them to put a whole sample song. I am not impressed at what i've heard. But it's their promotional choice that i respect.

I agree totally. Those 20 sec clips were a joke. I read "sounds like DT, SX and LTE," and I expect more than what I heard.

Someone needs to teach the guitarist about tone, cuz his is just HORRIBLE. The track Defying Evil could be one of the single worst riffs I've ever heard. Overall, I found Alien X to be boring and unoriginal.

Though I do appreciate the recommendation. As I'm always in the market for something new...

rockyracoon said:
I agree totally. Those 20 sec clips were a joke. I read "sounds like DT, SX and LTE," and I expect more than what I heard.

Someone needs to teach the guitarist about tone, cuz his is just HORRIBLE. The track Defying Evil could be one of the single worst riffs I've ever heard. Overall, I found Alien X to be boring and unoriginal.

Though I do appreciate the recommendation. As I'm always in the market for something new...

I thought the riff sounded cool. It's pretty original, IMO.

the album is all instrumental except for the last track in which Townsend does all the vocals. BTW the clips are no refleection of the way the actual cd sounds, I wouldnt be surprised if the clips are pre-mastered. The title track is a 15 minute track in 6 parts as well!!

X fan said:
the album is all instrumental except for the last track in which Townsend does all the vocals. BTW the clips are no refleection of the way the actual cd sounds, I wouldnt be surprised if the clips are pre-mastered. The title track is a 15 minute track in 6 parts as well!!

That would explain the lack of vox. Just out of curiousity, if you have the CD can you read and tell me what kind of guitar is being played...

In the band photo in the cd sleeve I can make out at least 4 guitars. The 2 electric guitars are definately a Fender Stratocaster and an Ibanez of some sort. I cant see the brands of the semi acoustics pictured.

Phew! I almost had a stroke. I misread the band name and thought Russel has gone solo and left Symphony X. :(