awful "shhhhhhh" with the Powerball

Inside686

New Metal Member
Dec 19, 2006
Hi everyone.
Chris, I would ask you something as I play on almost the same gear as yours.
I’ve been using a Powerball head for one year now but I still have the same sound problem:
There is a high “shhhhhh” behind my sound (don’t know how to describe it otherwise). The sound itself is great and corresponds to what I want but this damn “shhhhh” vitiates it all. Someone told me it could be a too high pitched pickup/guitar pair (don’t think so since I use Di Marzio Tone Zone pickup which doesn’t sound particularly high) or maybe a microphonic valve (I performed the pen test on it and they all seemed ok).
I’m desperate now :erk: I just bought an Mxr M108 eq to improve the thing, put it in the loop and it worked a bit but I also loose sound quality eating too much high range (without the eq I can’t set the presence over 11 o’clock because the nasty noise gets too loud!)
I use an Ibanez RG570EX, my cab is a Name Of Sound 2x12XL with a V30 and a CV. The head got vanilla valves. Tuned in C#.
Do you have some ideas about the possible source of this “shhhhhhh”? Other people suggestions are welcome.
Ciao :headbang:

Yes I replaced them alone but I didn’t have this phenomenon with my former amp. Well I have expressed myself badly when I said it was a constant noise. I can only hear it when I play a note especially a low single note. So if it was a ground problem I think it would be continuous. It doesn’t seem to be an electric noise but more a high frequency which distinguish itself from the rest of the sound, you know it reminds me the noise that makes a plastic bag.