Back in history, lunar strain

metalkicksass

Oct 25, 2007
the netherlands
What do you people think about this album?
In my opinion this is the best in flames album, ofcourse it has Mikael Stanne as vocalist, but this album also contains beautiful guitar riffs and an very dark atmosphere.

Their best album? Not a chance.... Jesper even said it sucked in an interview, lol. Actually, I don't mind the album in some parts (Behind Space, In Flames, Clad in Shadows, Upon an Oaken Throne) but in general the production is terrible and Stanne's vocals do not suit the album. Also pieces like Dreamscape do nothing for me. It's an OK album but more like a show of potential that was realised with the Jester Race.

In fact I'd rate DT's Skydancer over Lunar Strain... I think Skydancer is a really good debut album.

Their best album? Not a chance.... Jesper even said it sucked in an interview, lol. Actually, I don't mind the album in some parts (Behind Space, In Flames, Clad in Shadows, Upon an Oaken Throne) but in general the production is terrible and Stanne's vocals do not suit the album. Also pieces like Dreamscape do nothing for me. It's an OK album but more like a show of potential that was realised with the Jester Race.

In fact I'd rate DT's Skydancer over Lunar Strain... I think Skydancer is a really good debut album.

i didn't understand why Jesper said it sucked, well i like skydancer too, but the albums are both good.

He kind of took it back, he really only meant it sucked in comparison with the newer stuff they brought out, which is fair enough (newer at that time being Colony).

I really don't like In Flames without Anders. I've been a diehard fan since around 2000 and This album always bores me to tears..The only thing I like are the Acoustics. Subterranean is alot better.

Skydancer is all right...Of Chaos And Eternal Night is vastly better, even though it's much shorter. Skydancer is honestly just too fast - would be 10x better if they slowed it down. DT =/= Dragonforce...

Anyhow...IF's best release, IMO, is Subterranean. By a mile. Of their full lengths...I dunno...I don't think Lunar Strain is their best, but it's up there. I guess my three favorites are Jester Race, Clayman, and Lunar Strain...all tied, more or less.

Jester Race has the best vocals, by far.

Lunar Strain is very amateur sounding. I mean, it's great for what it was and it was definitely revolutionary soundwise for its time, but it seems like several of the songs were cobbled together too quickly. You can understand this when Jesper said in an interview that they had to quickly write songs for it, since they only had (initally) three when they heard they got signed to Wrong Again (after having lied to the label about having more songs, lol!) Several songs came out wonderfully -- the ones on the original IF demo ruled of course, and "Behind Space" is obviously a classic. "Dreamscape" seems a bit boring, although it's kind of a catchy repetitive riff. "Lunar Strain" sounds like a bunch of disparate riffs smashed together -- it sounds a bit forced and wobbly, although it had its moments. "Starforsaken" is all right, average I guess. "Everlost, Pt.1" puts me to sleep (In Flames should never do doom metal!), although part two is pretty. Oh yeah, and the drumming on this album is clumsy...

IMHO, Subterranean is where they found their footing. Basically all the tracks sound awesome and sound like classic IF (Lunar Strain sounded like they were searching for a sound, trying all sorts of things), although "Biosphere" is a bit off, but I think it's the recording quality more than anything. And, then of course, Anders came, TJR was released, and there was much rejoicing. The rest is history.

Personally, it's hard to decide on their best album. Right now I'm really digging the new one, actually. Clayman would be my all time favorite, I think. Powerful production, great songs, fucking ballsy riffs all over. The culmination of the classic period of In Flames, before the sudden experimentation (although you can hear the beginnings of weird experiments on Clayman).

Lunar Strain is ok but some songs just dont belong on a In Flames album, some other songs have bits that just dont flow together, it does show the potencial the band had at the time and it sounds surprisingly good for a metal album debut from the early 90's, of course there are some mistakes over the album but that's normal in debuts.

Not the best In Flames album by far. They knew how to write interesting riffs, and most songs really had that "hunger" feeling to them. Some songs however didn't do it for me, and here I'm talking about the dreadful "Hårgalåten".

Whoracle is in my opinion their most solid album. It's sounds heavy and has tons of melodies to it, but after that it was downhill.

To be honest, it sounds fantastic to me. The production is that perfect raw sound that you only get from Scandinavian bands (for some reason). The riffs are all bleak, melodic stuff, rooted in death, but creating an atmosphere not far removed from black metal. The vocals are raw and scratchy, BM-style, screaming about lovecraftian shit. It kicks ass, in my opinion. You shouldn't write it off just because Jesper doesn't particularly care for it.

To be honest, it sounds fantastic to me. The production is that perfect raw sound that you only get from Scandinavian bands (for some reason). The riffs are all bleak, melodic stuff, rooted in death, but creating an atmosphere not far removed from black metal. The vocals are raw and scratchy, BM-style, screaming about lovecraftian shit. It kicks ass, in my opinion. You shouldn't write it off just because Jesper doesn't particularly care for it.

You're right, it might not be the originel In flames style, but it's still a great album.

I'd say Whoracle is the best followed by Jester race or Clayman followed by Lunar Strain...Its good just isn't as original as the other shit I think its the album that really defined Melodic Death metal.

It's my favorite album from them

I just love it....finally bought a few weeks ago

I hope they play Behind Space at Gigantour...I would freak out