Back in history, lunar strain

They'd damn well better.
I'm storming the stage if they don't.
I think they usually do, though...
Anyhow, I think Behind Space has become one of my less favorite songs on it. The rest of the album is so fucking killer.

I've given this album another whirl recently, and it isn't as bad as I remembered. Not at all, although I still think Skydancer is the better of the two debuts. Stanne's vocals aren't as bad as I originally posted, they actually do fit the majority of the songs, and whilst the production does kinda suck, in a way it compliments the music rather than takes away from it. There are still songs on the album that I think are distinctly average (Lunar Strain, Dreamscape, Everlost Part I), but damn, stuff like Behind Space, Starforsaken (awesome intro, groovy song), In Flames (epic acoustic breakdown), Everlost Part II (maybe the only song which could have benefitted significantly from better production), Clad in Shadows and Upon an Oaken Throne are killer.

They did briefly speak about rerecording it around 1999ish but never got round to it, instead releasing Behind Space and Clad in Shadows 99 on Colony. I think that's the closest we'll ever get to a rerecorded Lunar Strain.

They did briefly speak about rerecording it around 1999ish but never got round to it, instead releasing Behind Space and Clad in Shadows 99 on Colony. I think that's the closest we'll ever get to a rerecorded Lunar Strain.
And I thought those were both ill, better than the originals, so it's really too bad.
I don't understand why so many people think The jester race is in flames best album.
Because it's their best album?

And I thought those were both ill, better than the originals, so it's really too bad.

Definately better than the originals, better production and Anders at the time being on top of his vocal game led to two fucking amazing remakes. Big shame they didn't redo Upon an Oaken Throne or their self-titled song.

I don't understand why so many people think The jester race is in flames best album, i mean it's good but come on...

Jester Race is a fantastic album, and many old schoolers first experience of In Flames, so it's more likely to be their favourite. For me it's Clayman, but I'm sure a part of that is due to the fact it was their first album I heard.

Considering that at the time Anders sounded exactly like Mikael (see Skydancer), it wouldn't have made a difference...

Lunar Strain is pretty average imo.

Behind Space, Dreamscape, Clad in Shadows and Upon an Oaken Throne are really the only standout tracks. The rest seem rushed and not really focused.

Which is because In Flames said they had more than the 3 demo tracks written when Wrong Again records told them to record Lunar Strain.. which they hadn't and had quickly write and record the other tracks.

Maybe i should listen to The jester race more often, but i still don't get it; why do people conside this is an melodic death metal classic?:zombie:
Because it's a melodic death metal classic.

metalkicksass said:
A question for the people that don't like Lunar strain;

Would you like it if it had Anders as vocalist?
Nope, not a chance. Not even Anders could save the album for me. There's a few really great tracks on the album (my personal favourites being Behind Space and OAOT), but there's far too many droning, overall boring tracks for me to enjoy it. Everlost Pt. 1 shits me to tears, as does Starforsaken. And don't even get me started on Hargalaten and Lunar Strain.

metalkickass said:
A question to all the The jester race lovers:

What's some awesome about it?
Absolutely everything. There isn't one element of that record that I would change. It truly is one of the only albums I've ever heard (both metal and non-metal) that I consider to be almost perfect in every way. I respect your opinion, but if you can't at least appreciate the greatness of The Jester Race then I wholeheartedly pity you.

Ok, i've been listening to the jester race a few more times, still i don't conside this as In flames best album, neither an melodic death metal classic, but the best in flames album with Anders as vocalist. :)