Bad News In Metal

When I read about this, I couldn't believe it. It's just nuts. Sad, but nuts.

While I didn't agree with his chronic habit, his stylings on the 6-string were faboo. Moreover, this just raises too many questions.... 1) how do you hate a guitarrist THAT much? 2) why did this 'tard have a gun IN a public building that SHOULD have security? Even the shows I attend have ALL entrances covered. 3) what kind of world do we live in where THIS is how we deal with our problems? 4) When did we become a society where common men decide who lives and who dies. Ragnarok is coming and I'm thinking I may side with Fenrir.

Blessed be,

Phil

lizard said:
very wise words, Tee.
these are the words from a Solitude Aeturnus' song. it was the first thought that crossed my mind. I was too shocked to say anything in my own words... anything that would have made sense.

I wasn't a Pantera fan per se, but I am saddened by this news. Dimebag's contribution to metal is always there...I remember where I was the day I heard Lennon died, Cliff's passing died, Freddie Mercury, Stevie Ray Vaughan...man, what a sick fucking world we live in.

Now we've ventured over into the rap area where our shows and the like are going to be scrutinized religiously.

Not to stir up shit, but did anyone see this blurb...

Originally Posted by KellyStar
Still unconfirmed that singer Pat Lachman was also shot dead. (He is alos guitarist for Halford). Some rumours starting to spread that Anselmo was, in part, responsible as word from the venue is the dude was yelling something about fucking over Anselmo and blaming Dime for splitting Pantera.
A Halford forum post a mentions a Metal Machine mag interview recently where Phil said that bad things happen to people who fuck him over, and he doesn't even have to lift a finger for it to happen. The interview included a picture of Phil holding a knife with a picture of Dime stuck on the blade.

If this has any credence, this might get very interesting.

RIP DBD

Man, fucked up days we live in.................................

PratlPoet said:
I wasn't a Pantera fan per se, but I am saddened by this news. Dimebag's contribution to metal is always there...I remember where I was the day I heard Lennon died, Cliff's passing died, Freddie Mercury, Stevie Ray Vaughan...man, what a sick fucking world we live in.

Now we've ventured over into the rap area where our shows and the like are going to be scrutinized religiously.

Not to stir up shit, but did anyone see this blurb...

Originally Posted by KellyStar
Still unconfirmed that singer Pat Lachman was also shot dead. (He is alos guitarist for Halford). Some rumours starting to spread that Anselmo was, in part, responsible as word from the venue is the dude was yelling something about fucking over Anselmo and blaming Dime for splitting Pantera.
A Halford forum post a mentions a Metal Machine mag interview recently where Phil said that bad things happen to people who fuck him over, and he doesn't even have to lift a finger for it to happen. The interview included a picture of Phil holding a knife with a picture of Dime stuck on the blade.

If this has any credence, this might get very interesting.

RIP DBD
"support music, not rumors"

I was never really a pantera fan, but this is sad. I definitely acknowledge pantera's influence, and i know he was a good guitarist. Rest in peace!

dime.jpg

Yeah I heard about what happened to Dimebag Darrel, you can read and watch more of it on this link below. Our band Vehemence played at the Al Rosa Villa venue with Decapitated in the summer of 2002, and from what I remember I could step off the stage if I wanted to, you were that close to your fans, they could get close enough to you to flick your ear, or punch your face. Also I remembered that place had no security other than the door guy.

Its unclear still, if this is a conspiracy, or freak psycho incident. I guess this is what happens with rock stars are playing smaller venues; they may think it’s friendly but could lead to many other things like death or assault. I heard the responses from the Howard Stern show.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3983630/detail.html

I met him several times, and got the opportunity to hang out with him for some hours and some minutes each time Pantera or Damageplan came through Hollywood, or Phoenix, Arizona. It’s a very sad day in metal. He was a good guy, take it from me. – John from Vehemence

I still can't believe this news. I didn't get a chance to see Damageplan while they were here in Toronto, ON Canada for one last time.
I loved Pantera, and watching those DVDs knowing I can't see him play live... ever... makes me sad.
Respects to Dime's family and his contribution to metal.

Some rumours starting to spread that Anselmo was, in part, responsible as word from the venue is the dude was yelling something about fucking over Anselmo and blaming Dime for splitting Pantera.
Careful now. There is not enough information at this point and no need to spread rumors. As it looks now, equating Anselmo as being responsible for this would be similar to blaming Jodie Foster for John Hinkley Jr's shooting of Ronald Reagan. What some raving lunatic does in your name is not necessarily your fault.

While I never appreciated Darrel's stuff past Cowboys from Hell, I am saddened by this shooting on many levels and can understand that this is a big loss for the metal community.

I can only imagine how this is going to affect security at shows, most of the places here you just get your stub and wander in without getting the full body cavity search treatment, Just stick your camera and a pint in your sweat shirt and cruise on by. I always enjoyed watching Dime live..........when things have to be brought to that kind of level it takes a lot of fun out of even going to shows.

damageplan2.jpg

This day will be remembered as the Day two legends died. John Lennon, and now, Dimebag Darrell Abbot. Rest in Peace.

As a small fan of Pantera, and a late fan of DamagePlan, the band really had a lot more potential then everyone first thought. I never did get to see them live, which really bothers me, because as someone said before, I'll never be able to see them live. Ever. The world of Metal will be mourning Dimebag for a long time. Weither or not you liked his music, it shouldn't matter. His influence on guitarists of this time is bigger then Jimmy Hendrix. He will be missed.

On another note, does anyone know which other band member was killed? And don't answer if you don't know, we don't want to start any rumors, at least no more then what is out there already.

Maharet said:
yes Aj, i copied it and pasted it everywhere...
I was joking. You know, since I have done the same thing to a billion different boards also. And I have given the same "word for word" response to just about everyone. Maybe not funny to many, but funy in my strange little world.

And besides, I need a luagh right about now. Not that I was the biggest Dime fan, but this saddens me a touch.

Police identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus. Police said they had no information on a motive or any connection to Abbott or his band, the Texas-based group Damageplan.

Besides Abbott and Gale, police said the dead included Nathan Bray, 23, and Erin Halk, 29. Police said the name of the fifth person killed was being withheld pending notification of family.

Damageplan had just begun its first song at Alrosa Villa club Wednesday night when the gunman climbed onstage, started yelling and shot Abbott five or six times at point-blank range, witness Chris Couch said.

Mull said the gunman's exact statement was unclear because of the loud music. He said some witnesses reported hearing an accusation about Abbott breaking up his former band, thrash-rock pioneer Pantera, but it could not be confirmed whether the speaker was the gunman or a fan.

this is still just really weird... i know this is just a random statement, but man... this just isn't the kind of thing that should happen... not when the man is doing what he loves

yeah heard this before school this morning, sucks
not a pantera fan or damageplan fan but still, sucks