Bad News -- Peter Leaves Opeth

You know... I don't blame him. He's been in the band for so damn long, and I don't know if I could handle touring that heavily.

I still take solace in the fact that Mikael writes 99.9% of the music, though.

thats true. touring that consistently would be hard. id still love to have the oppurtunity.

isnt it funny, that so many band members live to make music, (in metal, tour, i suppose), and once they've done it, simply give it up to go back to the peace that was ignored before it was punctured with chaos. cant speak for everyone, but a lot of people seem to be unwilling to give up the peace of mind of a steady paycheck, to risk what you've got on the road.

yeah but when you spend yrs doing it, seeing not a lot of money, spending months in shitty clubs, away from your families and loved ones its starts to make you think whats the point.

Kind of shit news. But at least they got a kick ass player to replace him. I met Peter the first time I saw Opeth and he complimented me on my Randy Rhoads shirt, haha. Awesome guy and I wish him the best of luck.

Sad news but it's refreshing to see something like that happen with a bit of grace and maturity for once.

I can't blame the guy. 18 months per album is long time to be touring even with the few comforts that would come to a band at Opeth's level. If the guy's heart's not in it, good on him for saying so before the tour started.

all good points. i agree that if the heart is not with it, neither should the person.

but look at mastodon. seven years of living on the road before they started getting national, and international attention. o_O

a lot of bands that are not famous but deemad as good or have some sort of following or underground status all have jobs because let's face it, there aren't that many bands that make a significant amounts of money with their bands as their main professions.

i don't think that the monetary aspect had anything to with it but i think andy hit it on the head with his explanation.

i dount that peters decision had much to do with money but i mean it does suck that you choose music as your life and choosing something as your life usually requires some sort of good income

Ola from subcyde (www.subcyde.com) that used to write on this forum told me that his teacher who is Mr Fredrik Åkesson himself, had joined a great band, but I never thought about Opeth, nobody knew a thing about Peter leaving Opeth at that time.
Fredrik is the man, he is really talented and he shreds for sure!
Glad to see he joined a great band.

Yeah I'm sure it was a good thing for Peter and for the band and Akesson is an excellent guitarist blah blah blah I still feel like shit:erk:

Sad news! I got the chance to hang out with Peter for a while on the last tour, and found him to be one of the coolest guys I've met from a band I like. It's hard for me to imagine Opeth without him (just as I felt that Lopez left big shoes to fill), but I guess I will manage.

I definitely understand his reasons though. Best of luck, Peter!

i dont know if it was before or after gg, but i know he was in the band for something like 18 months.

I'm pretty sure it was after Gus. When they came to Oz I was expecting Gus, and they had Fredrik. I didn't know what Gus looked like at the time, so I only found out that it wasnt Gus a few months ago when I bough the recent Firewind album haha.

yeah but when you spend yrs doing it, seeing not a lot of money, spending months in shitty clubs, away from your families and loved ones its starts to make you think whats the point.

oh the joys of the rock and roll lifestyle

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok, I thought Lopez being replaced Axe was lame (Axe doesnt have half the feel and spice Lopez has), now Peter jumps ship too? :mad: :mad: :mad: