Bad News -- Peter Leaves Opeth

Ya-hoo, theres 4 guitarists telling me I'm wrong. Try to stick to your business. All I'm saying is that he might hit the strokes on the right time but there's such thing as feel, its a thing that changes from drummer to drummer. Lopez' kicks weren't always the cleanest in town for instance, I didnt like the way Axe grooved, that's all. Plus, its a difference in completely copying somebody else's playing and coming up with this shit himselve. That's the difference. Metal musicians generally copy/steal 90% of their riffs from other people, same with drummers playing other people's stuff all day long, once the day comes they have to think of stuff themselves all they can come up with is a cheesy oompta oompta. Lopez' wasnt like that, he came up with awesome rhythms that would suit all kind of styles and grooved very hard.

And I've heard him on Witchery and all Bloodbath. Not really examples of somebody displaying Opethsque playing

I dont know that guy so that's simply put useless to comment, I hope he does a good job, and that's all.

Obviously he's not going to play Opeth style drums in Witchery and Bloodbath, regardless of whether he can or not. And, I'm a drummer as well as a guitarist. I think we agree on the fact that Lopez is great, I just think Axe is great too. And I never said you were wrong, I just disagreed. I'm not trying to change your mind, just let you know where I'm coming from. It's all subjective anyway, it's music! :)

Ya-hoo, theres 4 guitarists telling me I'm wrong.

Way to lecture me about the obvious, and reduce me to only one of the several instruments I play. Everything you go on to say here is stuff I already know and fully understand. I wouldn't have said what I did if I felt that Axe wasn't getting the feel of the parts too.

I think we should all give the guy a chance and see what he does on the next Opeth record, regardless of what our first impressions are.

Why does every discussion about Opeth and/or Dream Theater turn into a fight?

:lol:

Honestly, the guy left, it sucks. fighting about it won't bring him back.

If you're a fan, enjoy the CDs you have with him.

If you don't like them, don't listen/comment.

in the dvd that came with the re-release of ghost, mikael mentioned something along the lines of "you're influenced by ian paice?" when talking about the decision to go with axe.

when i saw opeth w/ axe, i wasn't disappointed. he can play the songs. maybe they'll hire lopez as a studio drummer for the next record :cool:

Why does every discussion about Opeth and/or Dream Theater turn into a fight?

:lol:

Honestly, the guy left, it sucks. fighting about it won't bring him back.

If you're a fan, enjoy the CDs you have with him.

If you don't like them, don't listen/comment.
dude, now ur the eye of the storm!
...pfft, prog

ive not listened to any of his work. AE doesn't really float my boat. i was under the impression that he was playing amott's stuff? or was the material he did with AE his own?

I guess it doesn't really matter what any of us think, because Opeth hired Axenrot and you didn't. They could hire anyone they want, and thats who they hired: DONE DEAL.

Who really gives a fuck, anyways? Most of you will still buy/download/see live/watch on tv/watch on youtube anyways, regardless of who is playing for them, because it's the package that you are drawn to in the end. If one needs to be so critical of how thier new drummer plays, go play it better for them or just sit back and enjoy. Life goes on...really, it does.

I saw Gene playing for them at Sounds Of The Underground a couple of years ago and he did fine, other than the kicks sounding triggered (which probably doesn't really have anything to do with him, but the soundmen for the show). He played everything rather well, especially given that he did double duty that night. Be critical if you want, but in the end....it is what it is, and if you don't like it, don't listen to them. I don't listen to St. Anger because I hate the coffee can snare sound....I don't whine about it on every forum I get a chance to (this being the first time I've ever posted that, and it's purely for example...not that Metallica are in the same picture as Opeth, but you know).

I've seen em 4 times, with 3 different drummers, and they have been phenomenal each time. If you don't like what they do, just listen to something else and quit dissecting everything you don't like about them and then call yourself thier biggest fan or whatever. I thought this forum was for learning and sharing info, rather than browbeating everyone about music and why you think your opinion is superior to everyone elses.