Bad News -- Peter Leaves Opeth

idk why people don't like Axe. He has enormous shoes to fill with Lopez's stuff. I think Axe will crush on the new Opeth album to be honest.

idk why people don't like Axe. He has enormous shoes to fill with Lopez's stuff. I think Axe will crush on the new Opeth album to be honest.

Same here. Axe is a great drummer, and he was choosen for the band by someone who knows what he can do better then any of us. :D

Any drummer that Opeth has doesn't have to worry about feeling and dynamics, because every hit they do will just get replaced anyway.

Because Opeth has some of the most synthetic, machine-like drumming in the entire metal genre? o_O

Are we even thinking of the same band here? 'Cause the Opeth I'm familiar with has ghost notes and one-handed rolls up the ass on the snare, drums that actually get quiet during the mellow bits, etc... I was pretty surprised to find there were any samples used at all on Deliverance.

Same here. Axe is a great drummer, and he was choosen for the band by someone who knows what he can do better then any of us. :D

Nice assumption. Seen him live once and on a couple live videos and he's as stiff as a granny.

Now that Strapping young lad is over for the moment I wish Mikael would get Gene Hoglan, with him on the throne I can see them going the right way, with Axe, I dont know, he's more like a bread and butter type of player, not the ghostnote-ish, latin type of drummer Lopez was. :cry:

what the hell is with the Axe bashing? What other projects have some of you heard him play with? Only one I know of is Bloodbath and when I saw Axe play with Opeth BOTH times he did a decent job the first time and the 2nd time I thought he did fantastic. But idk some people are too harsh. I'm suprised no one is complaining about getting Fredrik.

I really enjoy Axe on Witchery's Don't Fear The Reaper. I'm not really sure what else he's done other than Bloodbath

Nice assumption. Seen him live once and on a couple live videos and he's as stiff as a granny.

Now that Strapping young lad is over for the moment I wish Mikael would get Gene Hoglan, with him on the throne I can see them going the right way, with Axe, I dont know, he's more like a bread and butter type of player, not the ghostnote-ish, latin type of drummer Lopez was. :cry:

I saw him live too, I thought he was good. But your entitled to your opinion. Also, just because we've only heard Axe play "bread and butter" doesn't mean he can't play other styles aswell.

I saw him live too, I thought he was good. But your entitled to your opinion. Also, just because we've only heard Axe play "bread and butter" doesn't mean he can't play other styles aswell.

I saw Axe live and he nailed all of Lopez' parts perfectly. And I am a huge fan of Lopez and was very sad to see him go.

I have faith that Opeth's next album is going to rule just as much as their previous albums, Mikael has put out consistently great stuff regardless of the lineup. I just hope they keep the latin feel in there in some places (hey, they still have Mendez!)

Ya-hoo, theres 4 guitarists telling me I'm wrong. Try to stick to your business. All I'm saying is that he might hit the strokes on the right time but there's such thing as feel, its a thing that changes from drummer to drummer. Lopez' kicks weren't always the cleanest in town for instance, I didnt like the way Axe grooved, that's all. Plus, its a difference in completely copying somebody else's playing and coming up with this shit himselve. That's the difference. Metal musicians generally copy/steal 90% of their riffs from other people, same with drummers playing other people's stuff all day long, once the day comes they have to think of stuff themselves all they can come up with is a cheesy oompta oompta. Lopez' wasnt like that, he came up with awesome rhythms that would suit all kind of styles and grooved very hard.

And I've heard him on Witchery and all Bloodbath. Not really examples of somebody displaying Opethsque playing

I'm suprised no one is complaining about getting Fredrik.

I dont know that guy so that's simply put useless to comment, I hope he does a good job, and that's all.

Now that Strapping young lad is over for the moment I wish Mikael would get Gene Hoglan, with him on the throne I can see them going the right way, with Axe, I dont know, he's more like a bread and butter type of player, not the ghostnote-ish, latin type of drummer Lopez was.

IMHO Gene hoglan is not the right guy for Opeth anyway, you can't put a drum machine like Gene, he can't do all jazzy stuff in Opeth, in every record I heard with him playing, he was so powerful, no dynamics.
Don't get me wrong I like a lot Gene's playing, I just think he doesn't suit the music in Opeth.

IMHO Gene hoglan is not the right guy for Opeth anyway, you can't put a drum machine like Gene, he can't do all jazzy stuff in Opeth, in every record I heard with him playing, he was so powerful, no dynamics.
Don't get me wrong I like a lot Gene's playing, I just think he doesn't suit the music in Opeth.

Yeah. I'll post a bootleg of Opeth with Gene you'll be suprised :heh:

Though I'm sad to hear of Peter's departure, I believe Opeth will be just fine. Mikael will continue to write amazing stuff and will continue to work with amazing musician's. I saw them live a little over a year ago I have to say Axe was pretty solid on the drums (the show was just amazing anyway). A lot of our assumptions will be put to rest once they release an album with the new lineup. I'm positive the new musicians will work well with Mikael to keep the songs solid and the top-notch. :headbang: